Muffler patch to withstand backfiring? Or pressure relief valve?

Old February 27th 05, 07:08 PM
Henry

Default Muffler patch to withstand backfiring? Or pressure relief valve?

My oval muffler has a 1 inch crack on outside probably due to occasional
backfiring on deceleration. I would like to patch it but I am guessing
that the very best patch I can make will not long withstand the
backfiring. So I was thinking to maybe put something on there that
would block the crack except when pressure is real high (during a
backfire). Like a pressure relief valve. Any ideas?

Henry
Old February 27th 05, 07:56 PM
Mike Romain

You do realize that a backfire is an explosion of unburnt fuel inside
the exhaust pipe??

You can expect a 2 or 3' flame front coming out of any hole that lets
the explosion escape so how fireproof is the bottom of your vehicle?

I had a water issue once and I have a hot timed engine so it does burble
on deceleration and when it started backfiring, I was shooting a 2'
flame out the tail pipe with each one.

They do make really strong mufflers for performance off road vehicles,
likely you could make one of those fit. They are heavy gauge welded
units that can take rock hits and backfires....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 27th 05, 09:43 PM
Al

It would probably be best to fix the backfire problem rather than put a
band-aid on it. A backfire is not normal...........
ink.net...

Old February 28th 05, 12:47 AM
itsallgood

But he could repair the crack by covering the shell with layers of
galvanized sheet metal and a couple of big clamps and usind muffle
patch material under to seal it for sure.

Relief valve? Cool idea.
Some of that exhaust gas went into the cabin for too long I suppose.

Old February 28th 05, 05:19 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Mike Romain wrote:

> You do realize that a backfire is an explosion of unburnt fuel inside
> the exhaust pipe??

That is not corrrect.

A backfire is an explosion BACK through the intake tract.

What you're talking about is called a *muffler explosion*.

Old February 28th 05, 03:31 PM
Mike Romain

Last time I looked 'backfiring out the exhaust' was a real term and was
a symptom of unburned fuel and air mixing in the exhaust pipe and
igniting, lots of times caused by an exhaust manifold leak letting air
in.

I have never heard anyone ever refer to it as a 'muffler explosion'. Is
that some new fangled internet armchair detective term I should know
about???

I can just see it. Hey mechanic, I got these muffler explosions going
on, what gives? Or, Hey, my vehicle is backfiring out the exhaust, what
gives?

Whatever turns your crank I guess Daniel....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 28th 05, 06:36 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Mike Romain wrote:

> Last time I looked 'backfiring out the exhaust' was a real term

No such thing as "backfiring out the exhaust". But don't feel bad, people
say and write stupid **** all the time, including wherever it was you
looked.

> I have never heard anyone ever refer to it as a 'muffler explosion'.

Guess you're looking in the wrong places.
Old February 28th 05, 07:42 PM
Mike Romain

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Mike Romain wrote:
>
> > Last time I looked 'backfiring out the exhaust' was a real term

> No such thing as "backfiring out the exhaust". But don't feel bad, people
> say and write stupid **** all the time, including wherever it was you
> looked.
>
> > I have never heard anyone ever refer to it as a 'muffler explosion'.

> Guess you're looking in the wrong places.

Well I guess the OP was just lucky 'he' looked in the same wrong place
too so someone who knew what he was asking could answer him eh?

He obviously asked something that was way beyond your comprehension so I
am glad you learned something new today.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 28th 05, 08:21 PM
Steve

The very term "back" in "backfire" is a reference to flame propagation
"backward" in the induction system- in other words in the intake.

But everyone calls popping out the exhaust "backfiring" also, even
though its not really the correct term.

Old February 28th 05, 08:41 PM
Mike Romain

Firing out the back of the valve has always been my understanding of
it. Don't much matter if it is an intake valve causing a back fire pop
out the carb or TB or the exhaust valve causing a back fire pop out the
exhaust pipe.....

This is opposed to firing on the face of the valve like it should in a
cylinder.

But then I don't know who originally coined the work so....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's