Overseas shipping info requested!

Old February 13th 05, 05:23 PM

Default Overseas shipping info requested!

I'm considering moving to Switzerland and can think of nothing better
than to have my Miata over there also to enjoy spring and summer drives
in the alps! Anyway, I'm near jacksonville, florida and was wondering
if anyone has any experience shipping their vehicle to Europe. I'm
curious about cost, paperwork, preferred ports of entry(I could go to
another location to pick it up), etc. If anyone has any information
about a specific company that they have used or know about that was
good, that would be useful. Also, any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks
for any help you might have!

Old February 13th 05, 07:23 PM
gixer

Careful driving in Switzerland mate the cops are complete Nazi's!!!
Zero tolerance on speeding, major big fines even jail time.
The noise restrictions are major league as well, I have even heard that some
tyres are banned as too noisy.
If your bringing a Miata across, bring me a nice BRG 1994 LHD Automatic,
cause it's crap driving a RHD in Greece.

ups.com...

Old February 13th 05, 11:41 PM
Leon van Dommelen

>I'm considering moving to Switzerland and can think of nothing better
>than to have my Miata over there also to enjoy spring and summer drives
>in the alps! Anyway, I'm near jacksonville, florida and was wondering
>if anyone has any experience shipping their vehicle to Europe.

As I understand it, typically the problem of adjusting the car to
local regulations and getting it certified makes it very difficult
for an individual to import an individual car.

Bringing it in temporarily tends to have the biggest problem
dealing with the EPA in bringing it *back* into the USA.

When trying to take Bozo to Europe for a vacation, the place I
dealt with was
http://www.sefco-export.com/carshipper.htm
Because of EPA problems, I gave up on the idea.

Leon

> I'm
>curious about cost, paperwork, preferred ports of entry(I could go to
>another location to pick it up), etc. If anyone has any information
>about a specific company that they have used or know about that was
>good, that would be useful. Also, any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks
>for any help you might have!

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 14th 05, 03:12 AM

Well, I know that there are more radars, but I haven't found it that
restrictive. I've actually driven there quite a bit. You have to
remember that in the US, the police actually hide to try to catch
speeders and that it's pretty hard to speed without getting a ticket.
Consequently, the police seem fairly uncommon. Thanks for the heads up
though!

Old February 14th 05, 03:18 AM

I was under the impression (by someone who lives there) that I could
import my car for 1 year without having to deal with the conversion to
Swiss standards. Did you look into all areas of Europe, or just a
specific country? Do you know the reasons why it is so hard to bring
the car back into the us? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to prove it
orignated in the US and that it would up to US standards. Just curious.

NSR - Some info and some tweaks Bob V Simulators 13 January 24th 05 03:14 AM
94 Metro engine info requested mbjj Technology 1 January 2nd 05 12:38 AM
Car shipping? Tcushy Ford Mustang 0 December 10th 04 10:09 PM
2007 Cobra engine info from SEMA ? DriveSpy Ford Mustang 2 November 11th 04 03:17 PM
Chevy Aveo and Toyota Echo Hatchback aniram General 42 March 1st 04 06:06 PM