New Shocks- 1991 Miata

Old September 28th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default New Shocks- 1991 Miata

My 1991 Miata has 113K miles, the ride is not as smooth as use to be,
little bumps sound like something big, I guess it's time for new
Shocks, I read quite a few post about Shocks/Struts but still not sure
which one to buy, do I need something else beside shocks, what is fair
price to get it installed, etc, please advice, thanks.

Abid

Old September 28th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

wrote:
> My 1991 Miata has 113K miles, the ride is not as smooth as use to be,
> little bumps sound like something big, I guess it's time for new
> Shocks, I read quite a few post about Shocks/Struts but still not sure
> which one to buy, do I need something else beside shocks, what is fair
> price to get it installed, etc, please advice, thanks.
>
> Abid

Your shocks have been gone for a while. The only reasonable solution
that I see is to buy my used Konis on Ebay.... ;-)

Since you have been reading on it, you have probably seen that the
general concensus is either the Konis or the KYB AGX shocks unless you
want something more exotic.
These two are not much more expensive than OEM, offer a better ride, and
will last longer unless there is a defect, plus the adjustability is
very nice even if you don't use it often.

The Konis do require modification of the shock tower mounts. The KYB's
do not.

At this many miles, you will need a set of new boots/bump stops. I don't
know what they are running now, it seems like they go up a dollar or two
every time I check. Trussville Mazda is probably the best place to buy them.

Replacing shocks is not that hard, the rears are incredibly easy, but it
does take some time. I would call around to a number of locations for
quotes, you are probably going to get very different numbers.

We have a very fair mechanic who can probably do miata shocks in his
sleep and I think that he charges 2.5 hours for shocks, but I would have
to double-check that.

Pat
Old September 29th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

pws wrote:
> wrote:
> > My 1991 Miata has 113K miles, the ride is not as smooth as use to be,
> > little bumps sound like something big, I guess it's time for new
> > Shocks, I read quite a few post about Shocks/Struts but still not sure
> > which one to buy, do I need something else beside shocks, what is fair
> > price to get it installed, etc, please advice, thanks.
> >
> > Abid

> Your shocks have been gone for a while. The only reasonable solution
> that I see is to buy my used Konis on Ebay.... ;-)
>
> Since you have been reading on it, you have probably seen that the
> general concensus is either the Konis or the KYB AGX shocks unless you
> want something more exotic.
> These two are not much more expensive than OEM, offer a better ride, and
> will last longer unless there is a defect, plus the adjustability is
> very nice even if you don't use it often.
>
> The Konis do require modification of the shock tower mounts. The KYB's
> do not.
>
> At this many miles, you will need a set of new boots/bump stops. I don't
> know what they are running now, it seems like they go up a dollar or two
> every time I check. Trussville Mazda is probably the best place to buy them.
>
> Replacing shocks is not that hard, the rears are incredibly easy, but it
> does take some time. I would call around to a number of locations for
> quotes, you are probably going to get very different numbers.
>
> We have a very fair mechanic who can probably do miata shocks in his
> sleep and I think that he charges 2.5 hours for shocks, but I would have
> to double-check that.
>
> Pat

Pat,

Thanks, that sounds good, I am seriously thinking about replacing the
shocks right away, not sure about the used though unless a mechanic
approves it, what is the item number of your listing on eBay, I need to
check it out, 2.5 hours for front and rear, right, where is your
mechanic located, I am in Houston.

Thanks again,

Abid

Old September 29th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Thanks, that sounds good, I am seriously thinking about replacing the
> shocks right away, not sure about the used though unless a mechanic
> approves it, what is the item number of your listing on eBay, I need to
> check it out, 2.5 hours for front and rear, right, where is your
> mechanic located, I am in Houston.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Abid

He is my mechanic that I never use because the car is so reliable and
easy-to-fix, but this is John Long in Austin, actually Round Rock just
north of Austin.
He works with Corky Bell and there is no other person on the planet that
I would trust more with my miata regarding both honesty and quality
work. They are even friendly. Here is their website.

http://www.jcautospec.com/services.html

You might want to give them a call, I could be wrong on that time
estimate and I am not sure what he is charging per hour. He will simply
give you a total estimate for the job.

Regarding my Koni shocks, I have the minimum bid set at $199.95 because
they are already mounted on a set of shock tower mounts with OEM springs
and have about 45K miles on them. The shock tower mounts and springs
only have 75,000 miles.
This lets you drop them right in without modifying your original shock
tower mounts and you can keep the ones on there now in case you ever
want to go with a different shock. Since they have not been raced or
abused, the shocks have a lot of life left in them.
I have had a couple of people offer me $100.00 for them, even though the
auction has not ended yet. I will give them to a friend before letting
them go that low, plus I have had one person who says that they will
bid, we will see, there are 3 days left and many people wait until the
last day to place their bid.
Here is a link if you want to check them out, if you look at my feedback
you will see that I am pretty safe to buy from.

http://tinyurl.com/n3kxy

Pat

Old September 29th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:

> He works with Corky Bell

Errr.., make that Corky Matney, I see Corky and think "Bell", heh.

Pat
Old September 29th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

pws wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Pat,
> >
> > Thanks, that sounds good, I am seriously thinking about replacing the
> > shocks right away, not sure about the used though unless a mechanic
> > approves it, what is the item number of your listing on eBay, I need to
> > check it out, 2.5 hours for front and rear, right, where is your
> > mechanic located, I am in Houston.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Abid

> He is my mechanic that I never use because the car is so reliable and
> easy-to-fix, but this is John Long in Austin, actually Round Rock just
> north of Austin.
> He works with Corky Bell and there is no other person on the planet that
> I would trust more with my miata regarding both honesty and quality
> work. They are even friendly. Here is their website.

http://www.jcautospec.com/services.html

> You might want to give them a call, I could be wrong on that time
> estimate and I am not sure what he is charging per hour. He will simply
> give you a total estimate for the job.
>
> Regarding my Koni shocks, I have the minimum bid set at $199.95 because
> they are already mounted on a set of shock tower mounts with OEM springs
> and have about 45K miles on them. The shock tower mounts and springs
> only have 75,000 miles.
> This lets you drop them right in without modifying your original shock
> tower mounts and you can keep the ones on there now in case you ever
> want to go with a different shock. Since they have not been raced or
> abused, the shocks have a lot of life left in them.
> I have had a couple of people offer me $100.00 for them, even though the
> auction has not ended yet. I will give them to a friend before letting
> them go that low, plus I have had one person who says that they will
> bid, we will see, there are 3 days left and many people wait until the
> last day to place their bid.
> Here is a link if you want to check them out, if you look at my feedback
> you will see that I am pretty safe to buy from.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/n3kxy
>
> Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the detail info, I really appreciate it, I just called
couple of local mechanics and you are right it is anywhere from 2.5
-3.0 hours, I really like your shocks and wondering what it will take
to become your friend, just kidding, I am little tight with the money
right now, just started a new job, anyway I will watch your item and
see if I can get lucky.

Abid

Old October 2nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

pws wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the detail info, I really appreciate it, I just called
> > couple of local mechanics and you are right it is anywhere from 2.5
> > -3.0 hours, I really like your shocks and wondering what it will take
> > to become your friend, just kidding, I am little tight with the money
> > right now, just started a new job, anyway I will watch your item and
> > see if I can get lucky.
> >
> > Abid

> The auction went for a bit higher than I expected. I am glad that I
> turned down those $100.00 offers.
>
> Abid, I would suggest getting the KYB adjustables since they require no
> modification to fit. Most mechanics will charge you at least some extra
> time for the extra work required to drill the shock tower mounts for the
> Konis to fit.
>
> The Konis may be a better shock, they are certainly more proven, but I
> am happy with the KYB's performance. We will see how they hold up if I
> keep the car that long, mine only have about 25K miles on them and the
> MX-5 with folding hardtop in blue is like a siren call guiding me toward
> the rocky shoreline and I am quickly running out of wax.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Pat

Pat,

Yeah I saw that, I am happy for you, let me be honest I was dreaming
that that you may not get any bid, boy I was dreaming big time, you
are right I might go with the KYB. Anyway good luck to you and thanks
for all the ideas and suggessions.

Hope to talk to you again.

Abid