New owner - misfire

Old December 6th 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default New owner - misfire

Hi all,

Just bought a '96 with 45M on it. Fun car! (And that's at 10 degrees...
can't wait for summer.

After about 20 min of driving I get a misfire on accelleration... the car
idles fine, runs a steady speed fine, but when I push on the gas
(moderately) it "stutters" for a bit, mostly in the lower gears. Is this
likely the plug wire issue I've read about on the net? The wires on it are
plain dull black and appear original.

TIA

miker

Old December 6th 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Is this
> likely the plug wire issue I've read about on the net? The wires on it are
> plain dull black and appear original.

Yes.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC 00LS

Old December 6th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article > ,
"miker" > wrote:

> Is this likely the plug wire issue I've read about on the net?

Probably. It won't cost much to find out, and you'd need them soon
enough anyway.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 6th 05, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Probably. It won't cost much to find out, and you'd need them soon
> enough anyway.

Thanks, guys. Is there a recommended mfr for general street use (no racing)?

miker

Old December 6th 05, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Thanks, guys. Is there a recommended mfr for general street use (no
> racing)?

NGK. About $40. They're blue.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC 00LS

Old December 6th 05, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

two good sources...

east coast
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...tion&key=M1007

west coast
http://www.gomiata.com/ngkblusparpl1.html

i thought the factory originals were all blue (90-97)... makes me wonder if
yours were replaced before for some reason. still a inexpensive thing to
try before taking it to a shop.

. net...

Old December 6th 05, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

miker wrote:
>>Probably. It won't cost much to find out, and you'd need them soon
>>enough anyway.

> Thanks, guys. Is there a recommended mfr for general street use (no racing)?

If you want a US make, Magnecor (the 8mm Electrosports are fine - you
don't need the top of the range KV85).
Old December 6th 05, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

miker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just bought a '96 with 45M on it. Fun car! (And that's at 10 degrees...
> can't wait for summer.
>
> After about 20 min of driving I get a misfire on accelleration... the car
> idles fine, runs a steady speed fine, but when I push on the gas
> (moderately) it "stutters" for a bit, mostly in the lower gears. Is this
> likely the plug wire issue I've read about on the net? The wires on it are
> plain dull black and appear original.

Heavens yes. My '02 SE had 31k miles on it when I replaced the plug
wires and was rewarded with what felt like a new engine.

Dana
Old December 6th 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

McMahon wrote:
>> Thanks, guys. Is there a recommended mfr for general street use (no
>> racing)?
>>

> NGK. About $40. They're blue.

They're good for Miker's '96. They aren't available for the
coil-on-plug 2-wire git-ups like my '02 (and a year or two earlier).
I went with NAPA Borg-Warner wires and they're great (so far).

Dana
Old December 6th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

No, original wires (At least on my '91) were black. Rod

86 jeep cherokee laredo kwbacb Jeep 28 December 10th 05 07:31 PM
I'm sick of being a wannabe Corvette owner, I want to be aCorvette owner! Tristan Austin Corvette 18 July 9th 05 08:04 AM
97 GMC Sierra misfire zman13 4x4 0 March 31st 05 05:21 AM
new 1989 coupe owner - couple of questions Jamie Fisher Audi 3 January 22nd 05 12:19 AM
Samurai owner clothing and accessories Rosalie Mignon 4x4 0 August 25th 04 03:06 PM