Time for New Tires on the NC. Ideas?

Old May 12th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default Time for New Tires on the NC. Ideas?

"Iva" > wrote:

> You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com -
> they'll give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.

I'd like to add a comment about Tirerack. If you want a wheel/tire
package, they're hard to beat, if you want just tires and plan on
mounting and balancing them yourself, they're pretty good, if you want
tires and plan on paying for mounting and balancing their price is
higher than you can get locally, at least here in Phoenix it is for the
tires I've checked.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old May 12th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

XS11E wrote:
> "Iva" > wrote:
>
>> You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com -
>> they'll give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.

> I'd like to add a comment about Tirerack. If you want a wheel/tire
> package, they're hard to beat, if you want just tires and plan on
> mounting and balancing them yourself, they're pretty good, if you want
> tires and plan on paying for mounting and balancing their price is
> higher than you can get locally, at least here in Phoenix it is for the
> tires I've checked.

That last set of Michelin Pilots I bought were from TireRack and I found
that the overall price having them drop-shipped to my local approved
installer were at least $30 less per tire than any local dealer offered me.
This is with everything included -- tires, road hazard insurance, shipping,
balance, installation, et al. Not the saving I would like to see but since
I don't have a mounting machine or balancer at my disposal I take what I
can get. Of course it is possible that with other brands of tires the
situation might well be reversed.

The Falken ZE-912 tires that Lanny mentioned come out to $469 all inclusive
from my local dealer. Of course TireRack doesn't seem to sell that brand
(from studying their list this might be the only brand they _don't_ sell)
so I can't do a comparison.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 12th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.

John McGaw wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>> "Iva" > wrote:
>>
>>> You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com -
>>> they'll give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.

>> I'd like to add a comment about Tirerack. If you want a wheel/tire
>> package, they're hard to beat, if you want just tires and plan on
>> mounting and balancing them yourself, they're pretty good, if you want
>> tires and plan on paying for mounting and balancing their price is
>> higher than you can get locally, at least here in Phoenix it is for
>> the tires I've checked.
>>

> That last set of Michelin Pilots I bought were from TireRack and I found
> that the overall price having them drop-shipped to my local approved
> installer were at least $30 less per tire than any local dealer offered
> me. This is with everything included -- tires, road hazard insurance,
> shipping, balance, installation, et al. Not the saving I would like to
> see but since I don't have a mounting machine or balancer at my disposal
> I take what I can get. Of course it is possible that with other brands
> of tires the situation might well be reversed.
>
> The Falken ZE-912 tires that Lanny mentioned come out to $469 all
> inclusive from my local dealer. Of course TireRack doesn't seem to sell
> that brand (from studying their list this might be the only brand they
> _don't_ sell) so I can't do a comparison.

1010tires.com sell the Falken ZIEX 912's in 185/60/14 for CAN$64.99 each.

Stuart H.
Old May 12th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

John McGaw > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> I'd like to add a comment about Tirerack. If you want a
>> wheel/tire package, they're hard to beat, if you want just tires
>> and plan on mounting and balancing them yourself, they're pretty
>> good, if you want tires and plan on paying for mounting and
>> balancing their price is higher than you can get locally, at
>> least here in Phoenix it is for the tires I've checked.

> That last set of Michelin Pilots I bought were from TireRack and I
> found that the overall price having them drop-shipped to my local
> approved installer were at least $30 less per tire than any local
> dealer offered me. This is with everything included -- tires, road
> hazard insurance, shipping, balance, installation, et al.

$456.21 locally, including the free replacement warranty, $395.56 W/O.
$465.92 from Tirerack, including all you mentioned.

I'll deal locally, thank you.

> The Falken ZE-912 tires that Lanny mentioned come out to $469 all
> inclusive from my local dealer.

$437.39 here, including the free replacement warranty. $386.74 W/O.

Old May 13th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

XS11E wrote:
> John McGaw > wrote:

snip..

> $437.39 here, including the free replacement warranty. $386.74 W/O.

Our ridiculous sales tax rate (state + local option) might account for a
bit of the difference. Where are you located? I'm sure you have mentioned
it before but I lose track of such things...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 13th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Iva wrote:

> Are you sure you want to go with all-seasons? I've had a
> lot more fun with 4 high-performance summer tires and 4
> Blizzaks for winter.

I wish I had winter. Here in Florida it's summer tires all year round,
and never any snow! I hate to sweat so much and I miss snow.

I just got my second set of T1-Rs. Believe it or not I got 45,000 miles
out of the first set, and they still had a bit of tread left - between
1/16th and 1/8 of an inch. When the guy at Kaufmann's Tires told me I
could get $100 off a set, even though their sale had ended the previous
weekend, I jumped on it - $411 for four 195-50-15s, mounted, balanced,
warranty, tax and all. They feel good and they're sticky as all get
out.

yrs jp
Old May 13th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

John McGaw > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> John McGaw > wrote:

> snip..
>>
>> $437.39 here, including the free replacement warranty. $386.74
>> W/O.
>>

> Our ridiculous sales tax rate (state + local option) might account
> for a bit of the difference. Where are you located? I'm sure you
> have mentioned it before but I lose track of such things...

Phoenix, AZ. Sales tax is 8.3%

The better price may be the presence of Discount Tire Company who
offers good prices, GREAT service and, equally important, keeps the
other tire dealers honest!

Old May 13th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

XS11E wrote:
> John McGaw > wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:
>>> John McGaw > wrote:

>> snip..
>>> $437.39 here, including the free replacement warranty. $386.74
>>> W/O.
>>>

>> Our ridiculous sales tax rate (state + local option) might account
>> for a bit of the difference. Where are you located? I'm sure you
>> have mentioned it before but I lose track of such things...

> Phoenix, AZ. Sales tax is 8.3%
>
> The better price may be the presence of Discount Tire Company who
> offers good prices, GREAT service and, equally important, keeps the
> other tire dealers honest!

Oh well. Guess I won't be dropping by Phoenix, AZ just to pick up some
tires then. I will probably be visiting a friend in Green Valley next
Winter but there is no way I can stretch my tires for that long -- there
will be steel hair sticking out of them by that time. <g>

BTW: our sales tax is 9.25% if it makes you feel any better. And the
*******s even charge it on food. Lack of an income tax is supposed to make
us feel better but somehow it doesn't seem to balance very well. Especially
since they _do_ tax investment income which hits retirees like me.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old May 13th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

John McGaw > wrote:

> BTW: our sales tax is 9.25% if it makes you feel any better. And
> the *******s even charge it on food. Lack of an income tax is
> supposed to make us feel better but somehow it doesn't seem to
> balance very well. Especially since they _do_ tax investment
> income which hits retirees like me.

Yes, but you're in Tennessee which is home of two of my favorite
things, Dolly Parton.

Old May 14th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Yes, but you're in Tennessee which is home of two of my favorite
>> things, Dolly Parton.

> I would have gone to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge while I was at The
> Gap, but roller coaster rides in November are not for me. I have
> heard that it is a very nice theme park/concert venue, maybe this
> year.....

I attended a motorcycle rally in Pigeon Forge many years back, it's a
really fun place in a beautiful area of the country. We never did get
to Dollywood but we had a wonderful time and got in some great riding.

The major disappointment was the so-called "Tail of the Dragon", a very
mild road compared to some in the west.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8 KLS Audi 3 September 28th 07 04:05 AM
Part Time 4x4 Problem....Any ideas? [email protected] 4x4 25 December 8th 05 05:00 PM
Part Time 4x4 Problem....Any ideas? [email protected] Technology 3 December 5th 05 10:33 PM
330Ci - time for tires... Barry K BMW 9 August 30th 05 02:56 AM
Time for Tires ChefCharming Audi 12 November 12th 04 12:07 PM