reflections on the 2006 MX-5

Old May 20th 05, 07:28 PM
gixer

Hmmm I have driven a fair number of cars with run flat tires, and I did not
like the ride or feel on any of them.
My mate has a Z4, he changed the wheels and tires to normal tires and the
difference in ride comfort and feel was absolutely amazing,

Of course it is always a gamble, if you carry a foam repair kit you know for
a fact that the puncture is going to be to big to repair, the very first mod
I did was to remove the spare, I can't fit my fishing kit in the boot with
it in.
After many miles I have (touch every piece of wood in the office) had no
punctures.

In fact after 20 years driving, sometimes covering 100k a year I have never
had a puncture in a car, had a couple of blow out on bikes though

I saw someone mentioned that on that side of the pond, if a car comes with
run flats as standard you have to always fit run flats, is that right?

Cheers Mark.

Old May 20th 05, 07:31 PM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in:

> Actually, "Mazda" was a pun on the company founder's name: Jujiro
> Matsuda. The company, Toyo Kogyo, started using the Mazda name in
> 1931, when it was applied to a 3-wheeled 500cc truck. The company
> name itself wasn't changed to Mazda Motor Corporation until 1984.

Gee, and people say usenet isn't educational! I didn't know that,
thanks for the info.

Old May 20th 05, 07:36 PM
XS11E

"gixer" > wrote in:

> I saw someone mentioned that on that side of the pond, if a car
> comes with run flats as standard you have to always fit run flats,
> is that right?

AFAIK, the only applicable law in the USA is that you cannot legally
downgrade tires. That means if the vehicle comes with "V" speed rated
tires you cannot install "H" speed rated tires (although it's done).

There would be no law prohibiting changing run-flat tires to
conventional but if a car came with no spare it might not be a smart
thing to do....

Old May 21st 05, 01:14 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"gixer" > wrote:

>Hmmm I have driven a fair number of cars with run flat tires, and I did not
>like the ride or feel on any of them.
>My mate has a Z4, he changed the wheels and tires to normal tires and the
>difference in ride comfort and feel was absolutely amazing,

I have no doubt that making a tire run flat means making many
severe compromises in the design.

Leon

>Of course it is always a gamble, if you carry a foam repair kit you know for
>a fact that the puncture is going to be to big to repair, the very first mod
>I did was to remove the spare, I can't fit my fishing kit in the boot with
>it in.
>After many miles I have (touch every piece of wood in the office) had no
>punctures.
>
>In fact after 20 years driving, sometimes covering 100k a year I have never
>had a puncture in a car, had a couple of blow out on bikes though
>
>I saw someone mentioned that on that side of the pond, if a car comes with
>run flats as standard you have to always fit run flats, is that right?
>
>Cheers Mark.

.. .

Old May 21st 05, 03:33 AM
johnny phenothiazine

XS11E wrote:

> There would be no law prohibiting changing run-flat
> tires to conventional but if a car came with no
> spare it might not be a smart thing to do....

Is there enough room in the trunk for a spare and a jack? I mean you
don't really need a whole lot of room left over in the trunk, how much
space do a service manual, tool kit, jumper cables, six pack, pair of
shorts and a beach towel take?

Yours WDK -

http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

Old May 21st 05, 05:37 PM
XS11E

johnny phenothiazine > wrote in:

> XS11E wrote:
>>
>> There would be no law prohibiting changing run-flat
>> tires to conventional but if a car came with no spare it might
>> not be a smart thing to do....

> Is there enough room in the trunk for a spare and a jack? I mean
> you don't really need a whole lot of room left over in the trunk,
> how much space do a service manual, tool kit, jumper cables, six
> pack, pair of shorts and a beach towel take?

There's enough room in my trunk for a spare and a jack and all the
other stuff you listed.

The only thing I have to leave behind is SWMBO's purse but that exceeds
the weight rating of the tires.... ;-)
Old May 23rd 05, 02:08 PM
Tom

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:43:48 +0000 (UTC), fathom >
wrote:

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in
:

>> Having had about 8 flat tires, most sidewall punctures, on my
>> own 96, it does not have that great an appeal to me. I carry
>> the spare as well as a can of fix-a-flat.

>Try treating the tires with True-Goo. This is some serious
>flatproofing technology that puts Slime to shame. Farmers use
>it in their huge tractor tires and BMX racers use it to combat
>desert thorns. I use it on an electric scooter that rolls
>through much wicked urban glass and shredded metal.
>
>http://www.truegoo.com/
>
>I'm not affiliated - the stuff works, though.

How much does it take for a 195/50/15 tire?

Old May 25th 05, 01:42 PM
gixer

I would not recommend using this stuff unless in an emergency, it will take
your tires out of balance by a considerable amount, Tractors, BMX racers and
scooters are generally not designed to go over 50mph, so the balance is not
as critical. If you do need to use this type of stuff keep your speed as low
as possible until you can have a replacement tire fitted.
The other thing to note is the profiles of all the tires you gave as an
example are generally of the taller narrow type profile, rather than the
shorter type used on most cars.

Cheers Mark.

Old May 27th 05, 08:36 PM
helenandtim

"M. Cantera" > wrote in message
> Stuff Deleted....

I remember a blurb in a car mag that Mitsubishi
> originally intended to name their SUV the Pajero. At some point the
> found out this was latin american slang for onanist, which would not
> have been good for sales.

The Pajero Got sold in japan and i think pac rim countries (New
Zealand)..........places that don't have a large latino tinge..... i take
great delight in pointing it out to the drivers of these lumbering things
I always call them paherro They just say pajjerro I think I'm Right :-)

Old May 28th 05, 11:32 AM
gixer

If you look at the True-Goo web site under application suggestions
http://www.truegoo.com/ApplicationsSuggestions.html you will not find any
type of sports car listed in fact no types of car listed at all.
The only mention of a sports car I could find was in start page 3rd
paragraph, and even then they only mentioned that it repaired the tire, no
mention was made of the high speed balance.

My tires roughly do 928 revolutions per mile, so if I am doing 60mph that
means I do the 1 mile in 1min, so at 60mph my tires are doing 928 rpm,
double that at my cars top speed about 120mph that's just over 1800 rpm, or
3 revs per second.

On the web site it states
"True Goo acts as a good balancing fluid. The low viscosity of True Goo has
been engineered to put it in the "Sweet Spot" for tire balancing (if True
Goo were thinner it would not balance tires as well, and conversely, if True
Goo were thicker it would not balance tires as remarkably as it does). The
thin film of True goo that coats the inside of the tire dynamically adjusts
to balance the tire as the tire rolls. "

If you want to fill your tires with around 1lb of fluid that even on the
manufacturers web site does recommend in this application, and then rotate
your tires 3 revs per second mate that's your choice, but also take into
consideration that at this sort of speed, your tire will be pulling just
under 10g's so that 1lb of fluid will be close to the actual weight of your
tire,
Ok centrifugal force will distribute the fluid but still, I would not travel
at highway speeds with any real quantity of fluid in my car, My tires, my
car, my choice.

If I had a puncture then yes I would use this type of product to get me
home, but I would severely restrict my speed and I would replace the tire at
the first opportunity.

Just for the record even on mountain bikes I know very few people that use
this type of product for normal cross country racing, just because of the
extra rotational weight, on the high puncture risk course then maybe the
extra weight is worth it, but generally not,
Many down will use this type of product though, as they are usually not as
concerned with weight.

Cheers Mark.

"fathom" > wrote in message
> "gixer" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I would not recommend using this stuff unless in an
>> emergency, it will take your tires out of balance by a
>> considerable amount,

> On the contrary, True-Goo acts as a balancing agent. It is a
> very thin coating and does not slosh around. Do some research
> on it before trashing it, please. It is not Slime.

Any comments on new 2006 Lexus GS vs BMW? Verizon User BMW 4 January 25th 05 04:15 AM
2006 MOR3.. Scott C BMW 0 December 7th 04 09:04 AM
TDI and 2006 Diesel Regulations MB VW water cooled 12 October 31st 04 12:05 AM
Does anyone have any info on the 2006 Civic? Thomas Frank Honda 9 October 13th 04 04:20 AM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM