number on wheels

Old March 6th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default number on wheels

Hi all!

I was wondering what is the meaning of the number on my BMW original 16''
1999 E39 wheels, on the outside, near the air inflation ... thing (sorry,
English is NOT my main language).
I know it's not any size, the sizes are inside as well as the part number
for the wheel.

Thanks!

Vasco

99 E39

Old March 6th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"vricardo" wrote

> I was wondering what is the meaning of the number on my BMW original 16''
> 1999 E39 wheels, on the outside, near the air inflation ... thing (sorry,
> English is NOT my main language).

Well, if you could tell us what is written there, it may be easier for us to
take a guess as to what it means.

Pete

Old March 6th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"vricardo" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hi all!
>
> I was wondering what is the meaning of the number on my BMW original 16''
> 1999 E39 wheels, on the outside, near the air inflation ... thing (sorry,
> English is NOT my main language).
> I know it's not any size, the sizes are inside as well as the part number
> for the wheel.

Could be a casting number. Related to a batch of castings or a pattern
number.
Enables trackback if any faults develop.
Mike.

Old March 7th 06, 09:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks Pete, but it's just a number: my wheels are all 5, but I've seen
some 4, 7 and some 10s. Can they be mixed?

Old March 7th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks Mike. And can they be mixed?

Old March 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"vricardo" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks Mike. And can they be mixed?

If it is a pattern or batch casting mark. Sure. Regardless of the batch
number, all the wheels of a specific design and size would be the same.
The batch number would only be used if a fault was later found on a wheel.
They could then maybe recall or check all the wheels manufactured in the
same production run, in case the fault affected the whole batch.
Mike.

Old March 7th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks again Mike!

Maybe it is, as you say, just a batch number. But why on earth would BMW
put a internal check code on the outside of the wheel if all the others
(part number and size) are on the inside?

Integra rear trailing arm bushing part number TeGGeR® Honda 4 August 6th 05 09:08 PM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
2002 325 - replace standard wheels with 17" sport wheels Brandon BMW 3 March 12th 05 08:07 AM
Wheels for X5 3.0 base model celestite BMW 2 February 15th 05 03:57 PM