60mm/2.25" cooling duct?

Old January 2nd 05, 01:50 PM
Nate Nagel

Default 60mm/2.25" cooling duct?

Hi,

got a Porsche 944 that should have an alternator cooling duct, but it
was lost by one of the previous owners. I have scavenged all the pieces
except for a short length of flexible duct, it's 60mm in diameter but
2.25" would probably work. A quick look at some racer's supply sites
show that this stuff is generally only available in 2" or 2.5" diameter,
can anyone think of an underhood application that would use a 60mm air
duct hose? Trying to avoid Porsche dealer, not only is it very far away
but prices are often shocking.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 2nd 05, 05:55 PM
« Paul »

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> got a Porsche 944 that should have an alternator cooling duct, but it
> was lost by one of the previous owners. I have scavenged all the pieces
> except for a short length of flexible duct, it's 60mm in diameter but
> 2.25" would probably work. A quick look at some racer's supply sites
> show that this stuff is generally only available in 2" or 2.5" diameter,
> can anyone think of an underhood application that would use a 60mm air
> duct hose? Trying to avoid Porsche dealer, not only is it very far away
> but prices are often shocking.

How about flexible exhaust piping or heater duct from a ... um... volkswagon?
This site lists: TYPE 3, 63mm X 1000mm, EACH $4.95
http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/.../buggyexh2.htm
Old January 2nd 05, 06:36 PM
Comboverfish

Good call, Paul! Volkswagon: the people's Porsche.

Old January 2nd 05, 10:41 PM
Nate Nagel

« Paul » wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>got a Porsche 944 that should have an alternator cooling duct, but it
>>was lost by one of the previous owners. I have scavenged all the pieces
>>except for a short length of flexible duct, it's 60mm in diameter but
>>2.25" would probably work. A quick look at some racer's supply sites
>>show that this stuff is generally only available in 2" or 2.5" diameter,
>>can anyone think of an underhood application that would use a 60mm air
>>duct hose? Trying to avoid Porsche dealer, not only is it very far away
>>but prices are often shocking.

> How about flexible exhaust piping or heater duct from a ... um... volkswagon?
> This site lists: TYPE 3, 63mm X 1000mm, EACH $4.95
> http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/.../buggyexh2.htm

Nice! I like it! (and VW parts are a lot cheaper than Porsche
parts...) I actually thought of something like that, but I didn't know
where to begin looking.

Now if I could just get someone to verify what model VW the CV joints
originated on... (the boots have a 411 part number, but my ETKA coughs
when I try to look up the vintage stuff. I was hoping to confirm that
it's the same as a 90mm inner CV as used on the early watercooled stuff
but no joy...)

I see the beginnings of a book - "the frugal Porschephile, or how to
drive a sports car on a people's car budget"

nate

Old January 3rd 05, 12:19 AM
« Paul »

Nate Nagel wrote:

> I see the beginnings of a book - "the frugal Porschephile, or how to
> drive a sports car on a people's car budget"
>
> nate

I used to have several VW bugs when I was a teenager.
Turned one of them into a dune buggy with mostly 411 parts.
Dynoed at 180 hp at the wheels. Had problems keeping transmissions
together though. Had a 356B once but it was all rusted out and I
junked it. The 914 slid into a light pole sideways at 20-30 mph.
And I junked it.
Old January 3rd 05, 06:10 AM
urq83

Try Aircraft Spruce or Waco(sp?) look for aircraft heater hose.
I use some on my IC to throttlebody with good results. I would be
surprised if they didn't offer 2.250" size. Firberglass, rubber
covered, wire reinforced and good for well over 1 bar boost pressure.

Smitty

Old January 3rd 05, 01:06 PM
Nate Nagel

Actually Aircraft Spruce was the first web site I hit...

nate