Right side headlight has a green color...

Old February 4th 05, 12:20 AM
Brett Little

Default Right side headlight has a green color...

Its me again, the one who was replacing his headlights.

Well what happened is I broke the right headlight on my jeep. I replaced
them with some Silver Stars and noticed that one had a green color to it, so
i took it back. When I put the replacement in, it was still green. The
likelyhood of getting 2 defective lights is slim. So im thinking it has
something to do with the wireing or something. Does anyone have any insight
to this?

Note: when i broke it, it was raining, so maybe it got some water up in the
bulb and some how messed things up...

Thanks!

Brett

Old February 4th 05, 12:31 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Swap sides, being very careful not to touch their glass glob.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 4th 05, 12:35 AM
DougW

Brett Little did pass the time by typing:
> Its me again, the one who was replacing his headlights.
>
> Well what happened is I broke the right headlight on my jeep. I replaced
> them with some Silver Stars and noticed that one had a green color to it, so
> i took it back. When I put the replacement in, it was still green. The
> likelyhood of getting 2 defective lights is slim. So im thinking it has
> something to do with the wireing or something. Does anyone have any insight
> to this?
>
> Note: when i broke it, it was raining, so maybe it got some water up in the
> bulb and some how messed things up...
>
> Thanks!

Like some bulbs you might have to give it some time to burn in
and remove any impurities in the filament.

Give it a few days of operation then check again.

--
DougW

Old February 4th 05, 02:11 PM
Mike Romain

Each headlight has it's own ground tag I believe. I would be suspecting
the ground for that light has a dirty connection.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 5th 05, 03:56 AM
Brett Little

Tried it and its the bulb. I took the green one, plugged it in on the other
side and it was still green. So i know its the bulb thats messed up.

Someone said maybe thats the way its supposed to be and its the other one
thats defective. I dont think thats right because the other one is a nice
bright looking white color and everyone says thats how it should be. But I
say if the green way is how it should be then I dont know why I payed 25
bucks for em and might as weill get some generic ones.

I might just return both of them and get the "Cool Blue" ones. I think they
would look pretty cool on my jeep.

Old February 5th 05, 05:13 PM
Lee Ayrton

Old February 5th 05, 05:34 PM
Brett Little

Im not really sure what im not supposed to be touching here. If it makes
any difference, im changing out the whole headlight, not just the bulb on
the inside.

I might go ahead and try my luck at ANOTHER silver star, but if i do that
they have to order one for me and im tired of waiting. So i think im going
to go and grab some Cool Blues. They will make my jeep look fancy anyways!

"Lee Ayrton" > wrote in message
x.com...

That green color makes me think that there's something inside the envelope
that shouldn't be there -- like air. Last week I fired up a 650watt
halogen lamp and it was bright green too. Bad lamp. You might have
gotten two bulbs in a row out of a batch of defective lamps. Take it back
and have them keep giving you new ones until you're satisfied. If they
squeek offer to show them what the problem is.

Oh, and Bill's warning about not touching the lamp is real. The oil in
your finger prints will _not_ burn off the glass, it'll make hot spots on
the surface and cause early lamp failure -- sometimes explosive failure.
I'm forever changing 1000watt double-ended lamps (like the ones in those
wedge-shaped yellow work lights) with 3 bumps one one side and one on the
other -- the fingerprints from the last schmoe who changed out the lamps.
Use the plastic bag the lamp came in, or wipe the lamp down with rubbing
alcohol after you are done handling it. Touching the base os OK.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Old February 5th 05, 06:26 PM
Lee Ayrton

Old February 5th 05, 07:46 PM
twaldron

Don't worry about the sealed beams, it's the actual halogen globes that
are verbotten to touch.

Brett Little wrote:

> Im not really sure what im not supposed to be touching here. If it makes
> any difference, im changing out the whole headlight, not just the bulb on
> the inside.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old February 6th 05, 01:18 AM
mabar

If it's a TJ headlight, you don't have to worry about touching the bulb.
TJ's use a round sealed beam headlight, and you can't touch the bulb inside.
Many, if not most vehicles now use a separate bulb and headlight assembly,
and you should NOT touch those bulbs.

If you decide not to go with the Silverstars, I would recommend the Sylvania
X-Tra Vision. MUCH brighter than the Cool Blues, and longer lasting also.

http://tinyurl.com/63e3n

Tom