critique my freeway driving habits

Old February 3rd 05, 07:28 AM
Robert F Merrill

*article snipped*

Don't be an asshole. If someone wants to go faster than you, by all means
please let them. There are enough lanes on the road that they WILL pass you
eventually; you might as well let them do it on the proper side to increase
both your safety.
Old February 3rd 05, 07:29 AM
Bernard farquart

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 02:59:37 GMT, "Bernard farquart"
> > wrote:
>
>>> BTW, we were talking about legality of LLB'ing in CA here, and the
>>> verdict
>>> is clear.

>>I just do not understand the mentality here.

> I do. This is a typical MFFY attempting to rationalize his asinine
> behavior.

Yeah, but I move over out of *self intrest* when
a faster vehicle aproaches from the rear.

Bernard

Old February 3rd 05, 08:34 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> I'm living proof that it's not nearly as dangerous as you claim.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3pfbo

Very little LLBing... I really should take video of what's it like here
some day.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:38 AM
Nate Nagel

Usual Suspect wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:
>

>>Usual Suspect wrote:
>>

>>>The law that was quoted does not prohibit constantly driving in the left
>>>lane. More so, it does not prohibit doing it EVEN if one's speed matches
>>>that of cars in the right lane.

>>It does. You are slower than traffic that was gaining on you that wants
>>to pass.

> Who says there is traffic that is gaining? Read what I wrote carefully.
>
> Constantly driving in left lane with no one around you is OK
>
> Constantly driving in left lane at the same speed as drivers in the right
> lane with no one in your lane is also legal (although I don't endorse it),
> despite some cops claiming to give tickets for this in some other states
> (who cares?)
>
> That is what I asserted in previous post.
>
> Now, suppose there are 100 cars in the right lane, doing 70mph; I am in the
> left lane (naturally) doing 75 mph, and some tailgater is behind me who
> would go faster if it weren't for me blocking him. I'm not "slower than the
> normal speed of traffic in my direction", and therefore it's perfectly
> legal for me to block the *******.

Depends on what state you're in, and it's still rude as hell.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 3rd 05, 09:55 AM
Bob Lutz

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:38:43 -0800, Usual Suspect wrote:

> 3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

There is a stretch of I-76 in NE Colorado where there is a sign that says
keep LEFT except to pass. The only reason I can think of is that there
really isn't a lot of traffic out there, and the right lane is worn out,
and they want to get a few more years out of the road.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:53 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Usual Suspect > wrote:
>Arif Khokar wrote:
>
>> Per hour, I make anywhere from 60 to 240 lane changes.**I've*never*been
>> involved in a collision due to a lane change.

>Some of those who were, aren't here to brag about their record.
>
>Just a couple of days ago, someone tried to change lanes into the "gap" I
>just merged into. The near-collision wasn't even my fault, but I was
>subjected to extra risk because of the lane change I made.

Really? Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday, someone
changed lanes into the "gap" I had just left by changing lanes. There
was no near-collision, as I had ameliorated that risk by changing
lanes.
Old February 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
The Lindbergh Baby

Usual Suspect wrote:
> jaybird wrote:
>

>>Therein lies the problem. You're keeping your own interests in mind.

> Everyone does. Some people (libs, communists) just lie about it.

Oh, you're one of those, huh?

*PLONK!*

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

Old February 3rd 05, 08:15 PM
Robert Briggs

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Robert Briggs wrote:
>
> > Taking a rather low value for "several" of four, I make that an
> > average of one lane change every nine seconds.

> Several, as far as I know, is 3 or more. If there was enough traffic,
> then I could make up to 240 lane changes per hour.

That comes out at an average of 15 seconds from the start of one to
the start of the next - and rather less than that actually driving
"straight and level" *between* changes.

I forget which way round it was, but Surrey (UK) traffic police and
their German counterparts recommend that you should *not* move back
into the "slow" lane after a pass unless you expect to stay there for
*at least* 15 or 20 seconds.

> As long as one keeps track of traffic around them, lane changes are not
> dangerous.

Keeping track of traffic well enough for 240 lane changes per hour to
be wise is quite some task - certainly if you attempt to *sustain* that
rate for a whole hour or more.

ISTM that if you are going fast enough to be passing an isolated car
(or a small group) every 30 seconds (two lane changes per overtake)
then you should probably be spending most of your time in the "fast"
lane, moving across occasionally into one of the larger gaps when an
even faster driver *does* show up behind you.

You *certainly* shouldn't be changing lanes at that sort of rate just
to obey some "Keep Right Except To Pass" rule.

> > The first clause, "Lane changes are inherently dangerous", is putting
> > things more strongly than is really warranted, but, all else being
> > equal (which, of course, it never is, however hard you try), keeping
> > the number of lane changes down *does* make things *slightly* safer.

> I really do not believe that changing lanes often is risky in and of itself.

Changing lanes even once *does* introduce some *slight* risks beyond
those involved in driving "straight and level" - and doing it as many
as 240 times in a single hour *certainly* involves some risk.

That said, the slight risks associated with changing lanes can be
managed, and can also be *less* than the risks of *not* making a
particular lane change.
Old February 3rd 05, 10:01 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:42:05 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>Olaf Gustafson wrote:
>
>> You change lanes at least once per minute and up to once every 15
>> seconds?
>>
>> I have a hard time believing you're a good driver if you change lanes
>> that often.

>I keep right except to pass. I also drive a bit faster than most
>traffic in the vicinity. Most people around here actually keep right
>except to pass as well.

Can you take some video of you doing a lane change every 15 seconds?
Old February 4th 05, 02:56 AM
Usual Suspect

Sam O'Nella wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>> That's when I pass you and throw some ketchup on your car.

>> Why not throw eggs instead. They do interesting things to the paint
>> if allowed to dry (which will happen rapidly at highway speeds).

> The dumbass is just begging for someone to pop a cap in his ass. It will
> happen, don't worry - he'll block the wrong person at the wrong time.

Wow, a Richmond, VA savage. How original!

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM