critique my freeway driving habits

Old February 2nd 05, 08:38 AM
Usual Suspect

Default critique my freeway driving habits

There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral to
stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
reasons for doing it in what follows.

If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided, I
tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes to
let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
San Diego). If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe distance
and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
which is rare.

Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing they
are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).

MY RATIONALE:

1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.

2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing 10
mph below.

6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
traffic and myself.

7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
while doing the speed limit or more.

Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
with my own interests in mind.
Old February 2nd 05, 10:50 AM
Nate Nagel

Usual Suspect wrote:

> There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral to
> stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
> reasons for doing it in what follows.
>
> If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided, I
> tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
> usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
> see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes to
> let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
> San Diego). If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe distance
> and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
> which is rare.
>
> Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
> very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
> works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing they
> are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).
>
> MY RATIONALE:
>
> 1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
> traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.
>
> 2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.
>
> 3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes
>
> 4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)
>
> 5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
> that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing 10
> mph below.
>
> 6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
> traffic and myself.
>
> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
> while doing the speed limit or more.
>
> Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
> optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
> with my own interests in mind.

You're an asshole. Please cut up your driver's license now.

you'd actually using exactly the same "logic" as Aunt Judy, just at a
higher speed. That makes you no better than she. Please, either drive
considerately or not at all. There's no place for your
passive-aggressive driving games on a public road.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 2nd 05, 02:10 PM
Sam O'Nella

Although you're probably a troll, it's still worth stating...

Basically it usually doesn't matter which lane you're in UNTIL someone somes
up from behind. If you're in the left lane, GET THE **** OVER, thank you
very much. Once they pass, ooze back over if you must and keep on your
merry way.

Hell, I do this all the time - I'm with you on preferring the left lane.
But the moment someone wants to pass, I'm outta there.

What's annoying and almost predictable is when I get over for Captain
Speedy, they then see this large expanse of open freeway, then think "COP!"
and slow down and end up paralleling me in the left lane. Then I of course
get trapped behind some slowpoke in front of me. DAMN those people burn me
up.

Old February 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
223rem

Usual Suspect wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral to
> stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
> reasons for doing it in what follows.

Nice trolling.
Old February 2nd 05, 03:34 PM
Brent P

In article >, Usual Suspect wrote:

> If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided, I
> tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
> usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
> see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes to
> let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
> San Diego).

You're a speeder. You have no moral high ground just because you are
going a speed closer to the underposted limit.

> If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe distance
> and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
> which is rare.

So you aid in causing congestion.

> Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
> very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
> works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing they
> are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).

You should have moved right long before he caught up to you.

Me first, **** everyone else.

me first, **** everyone else.

> 5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
> that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing 10
> mph below.

'fast enough' rationalization nonsense.

> 6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
> traffic and myself.

Your convience above everyone else.

> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
> while doing the speed limit or more.

I have.

> Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
> optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
> with my own interests in mind.

You just make up your own rules of the road. And you probably wonder why
there are so many traffic jams and so much congestion. Hint, it's people
who put themselves and their convinence ahead of everyone else like you
that cause it. May you only encounter drivers like yourself, but slower.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:05 PM
Bill the second

"Usual Suspect" > wrote in message
> There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral
> stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
> reasons for doing it in what follows.
>
> If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided,
> tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
> usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
> see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes
> let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
> San Diego). If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe
> distance
> and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
> which is rare.

So you contribute to packs LLB? Pretty soon you've reversed the usually
KRETP routine. When people follow the rules it increases their
predictability, reducing the chance of confusion, making roads safer.

> Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
> very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
> works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing
> they
> are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).

They don't want you to go faster, they want you to move over, so they can
pass you.

> MY RATIONALE:
>
> 1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
> traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.

What a bunch of BS. If you're in the right lane you don't have to worry
about traffic on the right. Also, I find monotonous driving boring. Having
to keep a constant eye on traffic making it more interesting, and keeps me
alert.

> 2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

Shoulder on the right too. I've found they tend to be bigger too.

> 3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

If you come accross slow traffic in the right lane, pass them then return to
the right lane. Which sounds like the reverse of what you actually do (keep
left except when passing)

> 4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

Not too hard to do.

> 5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster?
> Well,
> that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing
> 10
> mph below.

So you decide what a safe speed is? I worry about my speed and let others
worry about theirs. Live and let live. Plus if I don't **** of other people
they are less likely to pull out a gun, run me off the road, etc. Not only
that, roads would run more smoothly if you could pass in the passing lane
rather than having to pass on the right.

> 6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for
> merging
> traffic and myself.

If you actually watch traffic there is no risk involved.

> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
> while doing the speed limit or more.

Because doughnut squads focus on speeding rather than ticketing other much
more dangerous driving habits. Also not a good reason. Like me saying I
speed 15km/h over the limit soley because I know I won't get ticketed. I
speed that much because it's safe for the given conditions. I might speed
less in poorer conditions / road, even if I still wouldn't get a ticket at a
faster speed.

> Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone,

Good, everyone should be following KRETP.

or even the
> optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
> with my own interests in mind.

AKA "To hell with you!!" AKA MFFY.

I'd think you were Dave except you didn't mention staying clear of junk in
the right lane.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:14 PM
jaybird

"Usual Suspect" > wrote in message
> There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral
> stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
> reasons for doing it in what follows.
>
> If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided,
> tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
> usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
> see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes
> let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
> San Diego). If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe
> distance
> and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
> which is rare.
>
> Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
> very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
> works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing
> they
> are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).

They're probably trying to tell you to move over, rather than go faster.

> MY RATIONALE:
>
> 1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
> traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.

That's just part of driving. You'll have to deal with it like the rest of
us have to.

> 2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

Which is extremely dangerous to stop in. Your best bet is to stay in the
center or right lane to hit the right shoulder if you need it, and even then
it's best to pull completely off of that to the right.

> 3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

Which is why it is for passing, not cruising.

> 4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

That's too bad. I don't like taking a crap, but I have to do it just like
everyone else does (actually sometimes it's kinda nice).

> 5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster?
> Well,
> that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing
> 10
> mph below.

I'd feel more guilty about blocking a lane used by emergency vehicles and
other cars going even faster than you are that I'd like to pull over for
speeding ).

> 6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for
> merging
> traffic and myself.

There's no risk if you pay attention.

> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
> while doing the speed limit or more.

Then you haven't been stopped by me. A lady I stopped and ticketed for that
very thing last week had no clue why she was getting a ticket. I tried my
best to explain what that lane is for, to no avail. Then she decided she
didn't want to sign the ticket because she still didn't understand. After
being told that she'd be sitting in front of a judge after a night at the
taxpayer's expense, she signed. I don't think I'm on her Christmas card
list anymore.

> Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
> optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
> with my own interests in mind.

Therein lies the problem. You're keeping your own interests in mind.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 2nd 05, 04:35 PM
Arif Khokar

Usual Suspect wrote:

> If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided,

Wouldn't it make more sense to stay in the right lane. You'll have to
make a lot more lane changes when you're entering and exiting the
highway if you have to travel in the left lane.

> Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
> very closely, trying to "make me go faster",

Actually, they're trying to tell you to yield the passing lane so that
they can pass.

> 1. I like the left lane. Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
> traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.

I like the right lane. In other lanes I have to worry about traffic on
my left and right as well as traffic wanting to pass.

> 2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

The shoulder near the right lane is bigger and serves better than a
breakdown lane.

> 3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

It would be if people like you would stay out of it unless you're
actually passing someone.

> 4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

So you're incompetent? Changing lanes involves MSM (Mirror, Signal,
Maneuver). It's not hard and doesn't take much work.

> 5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
> that's your problem.

It's your problem when you're blocking the passing lane. Maybe I should
pass you on the right and get in front of you. Then I can decide to
drive the speed limit.

> 6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
> traffic and myself.

There is no risk unless you're not watching where you're going. You
always have an option to switch over one lane and pass merging traffic
if needed.

> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
> while doing the speed limit or more.

There have been a few posts in this newsgroup describing the opposite.

> Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone,

Hardly. It's a strategy used by lazy and incompetent drivers like
yourself. Maybe you'll learn your lesson when you're involved in a
crossover crash caused by your brethren on the opposite carriageway.

Congratulations, you're a Me First, **** You driver.
Old February 2nd 05, 04:37 PM
Sam O'Nella

>> 7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left
>> lane while doing the speed limit or more.

> Then you haven't been stopped by me. A lady I stopped and ticketed
> for that very thing last week had no clue why she was getting a
> ticket. I tried my best to explain what that lane is for, to no
> avail. Then she decided she didn't want to sign the ticket because
> she still didn't understand. After being told that she'd be sitting
> in front of a judge after a night at the taxpayer's expense, she
> signed. I don't think I'm on her Christmas card list anymore.

You just got on mine. Keep up the good work.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:44 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:38:43 -0800, Usual Suspect
> wrote:

>There seems to be a lot of talk in this newsgroup about how it's immoral to
>stay in the left lane. Well, guess what, I do just that. I'll explain my
>reasons for doing it in what follows.
>
>If I don't have to exit for another 5-10 miles and the freeway is divided, I
>tend to get into the left lane and stay there, driving at 75-80 mph, which
>usually puts me in the 70-90th percentile, or so, in terms of speed. If I
>see a cop I would usually slow down to about 70 and I might change lanes to
>let them go and chase the real speeders. (There is a 65 mph speed limit in
>San Diego). If someone else is blocking me I follow them at a safe distance
>and don't pass them on the right unless they are really slow, like 60 mph,
>which is rare.
>
>Now, every once in a while someone would come up from behind and follow me
>very closely, trying to "make me go faster", which, needless to say, never
>works. They would typically keep at it for a while and then, realizing they
>are being preposterous go lane-swirving (good luck).
>
>MY RATIONALE:
>
>1. I like the left lane.

So? You don't get to pick and choose to obey the laws you like

> Whereas in other lanes you have to worry about
>traffic on your left and right, the left lane feels more tranquil.
>
>2. There is often a shoulder on the left, which I can use if required.

If you have to use the shoulder when driving, you're doing something
wrong.

>3. The left lane is typically faster than other lanes

Not with you blocking it, it's not.

>4. I don't especially like changing lanes (to pass or whatever)

Or obeying the law, apparently.

>5. I'm already going at 10 mph over the limit. You want to go faster? Well,
>that's your problem. I could imagine feeling a bit guilty if I was doing 10
>mph below.

You don't get to dictate what speed other drivers should go

>6. By staying away from the on-ramps I reduce the related risks for merging
>traffic and myself.

But you increase risk by being a LLB.

>7. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for blocking the left lane
>while doing the speed limit or more.

And that's the big problem - cops not enforcing the law.

>Now, I don't claim this to be the best strategy for everyone, or even the
>optimal one for yours truly, but this is the best one I've come up with
>with my own interests in mind.

mffy

Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 December 31st 04 11:33 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM