Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Old June 3rd 06, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Hi,

Many reviews of the Z4 - a great roadster in its own right - write that the
car has a tendancy to understeer and for a sports car enthusiast lacks the
feel that translates the road through the steering wheel.

The new MX5 which obviously in a different price bracket, is more of a
hardcore sports car, but of course gives up much of the refinement, beauty
and quality that goes with the Z4.

I would appreciate it if people could comment on this - and anything else
they feel worthy of note. Unfortunetely where I am BMW dont have a Z4 for
testing so I have no means of comparison. I am looking mainly at the 2.5siA.

Thanks,

Alex

Old June 3rd 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

2.5siA? As in automatic? Why bother. Both of those cars should be manuals,
that's most of the fun in driving them. The Z4 will be a much faster car, a
little more room, and looks better too. (yea, I know, but I actually like
Bangle's designs.)

Old June 3rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"AM" > wrote
> Many reviews of the Z4 - a great roadster in its own right - write that
> the
> car has a tendancy to understeer and for a sports car enthusiast lacks the
> feel that translates the road through the steering wheel.
>
> The new MX5 which obviously in a different price bracket, is more of a
> hardcore sports car, but of course gives up much of the refinement, beauty
> and quality that goes with the Z4.
>
> I would appreciate it if people could comment on this - and anything else
> they feel worthy of note. Unfortunetely where I am BMW dont have a Z4 for
> testing so I have no means of comparison. I am looking mainly at the
> 2.5siA.

Let's be perfectly clear about this: *EVERY* production car in the
world is engineered to exhibit understeer. (Well, a Lotus Elise might
not be... but we're talking fewer than a handful of cars.) Understeer
is a desirable trait for most drivers because it's generally safer for
them. Rear-engined Porsches exhibit understeer. My NSX and my
wife's Boxster exhibit understeer. Lamborghini's and Ferraris exhibit
it (according to C&D).

Given that, and having looked at the last MX5 review in Car & Driver
that says it has "benign understeer", I doubt that is a substantial
difference
in the amount of understeer these two cars exhibit. In fact, the Z4,
having more power, will be able to exhibit *MORE* oversteer (the
opposite trait). Buy what you like; I know lots of people like MX5's.
The Z4 is more powerful, faster and slightly plusher riding, and more
comfortable and quiet than the MX5. Only you can tell if the extra
$10K is worth it.

FloydR

Old June 3rd 06, 04:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:01:06 +0800, "AM" > wrote:
>Many reviews of the Z4 - a great roadster in its own right - write that the
>car has a tendancy to understeer and for a sports car enthusiast lacks the
>feel that translates the road through the steering wheel.

You can have the camber adjusted to remove the understeer, and that's
something you have to do with every car out there nowadays. There are
numerous posts about this on www.z4um.com.

As for the steering, I think reviewer's complaints are more due to the
writers only driving the car for brief periods. The steering is light
with electric assist and if you're not used to it there's a tendency
to over-correct and grip the wheel too hard because you expect more
effort.

epbrown
--
"Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car;
most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus
Old June 3rd 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks for your replies. As for the Z4 2.5A - I was of course referring to
the manual - but the price list shows 'A' - have no idea what it stands for!

One more question - do any of you know how the MX5 and Z4 compare in terms
of depreciation? (I realise several variables are at play here including the
country & the transmission, but any thoughts woud be appreciated - thanks!)

Old June 3rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"AM" > wrote in message ...
> Thanks for your replies. As for the Z4 2.5A - I was of course referring to
> the manual - but the price list shows 'A' - have no idea what it stands
> for!

A for Automatic.
Jim

Old June 3rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 00:35:11 +0800, "AM" > wrote:

>Thanks for your replies. As for the Z4 2.5A - I was of course referring to
>the manual - but the price list shows 'A' - have no idea what it stands for!
>
>One more question - do any of you know how the MX5 and Z4 compare in terms
>of depreciation? (I realise several variables are at play here including the
>country & the transmission, but any thoughts woud be appreciated - thanks!)

I expect to see early Z4 prices plummet in the next couple of years as
more and more come off-lease onto the used market. And it's due to be
replaced in late 2009, which will further drive down prices. I could
be wrong - the press seems to be turning around on it's appearance,
and I've always gotten favorable responses to the car. It might be
more of a hit as a used car - it is certainly a great value as one.

epbrown
Old June 4th 06, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"AM" > wrote in message ...
> Thanks for your replies. As for the Z4 2.5A - I was of course referring to
> the manual - but the price list shows 'A' - have no idea what it stands
> for!
>
> One more question - do any of you know how the MX5 and Z4 compare in terms
> of depreciation? (I realise several variables are at play here including
> the
> country & the transmission, but any thoughts woud be appreciated -
> thanks!)

Depends on where you are in the depreciation curve, but consider this...have
you ever driven the two cars with over 100K. The difference in them new is
very much exagerated.

Leonard

Old June 4th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
> "AM" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Thanks for your replies. As for the Z4 2.5A - I was of course referring to
>>the manual - but the price list shows 'A' - have no idea what it stands
>>for!
>>
>>One more question - do any of you know how the MX5 and Z4 compare in terms
>>of depreciation? (I realise several variables are at play here including
>>the
>>country & the transmission, but any thoughts woud be appreciated -
>>thanks!)

> Depends on where you are in the depreciation curve, but consider this...have
> you ever driven the two cars with over 100K. The difference in them new is
> very much exagerated.

Personally, I can't see myself driving either one of these cars 100k
miles. Two seat roadsters are great 2nd or 3rd cars to take out only on
sunny days.

So unless you are buying one with high mileage, who cares. If you are
looking for a daily commuter car I'd be looking in an entirely different
direction...

--
-Fred W
Old June 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
AM > wrote:
> Many reviews of the Z4 - a great roadster in its own right - write that
> the car has a tendancy to understeer and for a sports car enthusiast
> lacks the feel that translates the road through the steering wheel.

> The new MX5 which obviously in a different price bracket, is more of a
> hardcore sports car, but of course gives up much of the refinement,
> beauty and quality that goes with the Z4.

> I would appreciate it if people could comment on this - and anything
> else they feel worthy of note. Unfortunetely where I am BMW dont have a
> Z4 for testing so I have no means of comparison. I am looking mainly at
> the 2.5siA.

If you're looking for a sports car, the new Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport is very
close to the BMW 2.5 in performance, but beats it hands down in handling
and economy as well as being more fun to drive hard. The Z4 is a big
improvement on the Z3, but still more of a sporty tourer than out and out
sports car.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.