How many hrs of light per day?

Old January 18th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default How many hrs of light per day?

Bottom posted.
Steve Michie wrote:
"Koi-lo" wrote in message
DE earth is so cheap at Home Depot you can run your Vortex every
day for an hour or so until the problem is under control.

I've had my Vortex D-1 running for 24 hours a day since I got it ???
(1 week)
Maybe I would see much faster results if I had purchased the XL model
? (My tank is 55g)

Cheers.

You would get faster results. Good luck and later!

Old January 18th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Bottom posted.
Steve Michie wrote:
"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I was told when I bought the original one years ago (Fishtown USA)
that this filter is designed for water polishing and not as a
continuous run filter. As far as I know this is still true.

Page 14 of the manual - Specifications :-

"When using the diatom as a treatment by continuous filtration, you
should take care not to 'overwork' or tire your fish by too much
current over a long period of time."

Surely there would be a warning about NOT using the filter for
continuous filtration rather than the above if it wasnt designed for
it ???

Thoughts ??

I dont really wanna blow up my $500 investment - yep - damn expensive
over here in oz - hehe doh !!
Cheers.

I do know that the vortex freedom filter is sold as a continuous duty
filter, and I have read that the other filters (xl, d1, and competitors
except for maybe the whisper diatomaceous earth filter called the
"diatomagic") are not designed to be used continuously, apparently for
multiple reasons. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you can make an
informed decision (i.e. returning the filter for another type like the
vortex freedom filter or for a refund for example). Good luck and later!

Old January 18th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

The techincal term for plants like Rotala wallichi, most Myriophyllum
species when they close up is termed: nyctinasty, say that 10 times
real fast.It's more often applied to flowers that close up at night.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Old January 18th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Steve Michie" wrote in message

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I was told when I bought the original one years ago (Fishtown USA) that
this filter is designed for water polishing and not as a continuous run
filter. As far as I know this is still true.

Page 14 of the manual - Specifications :-

"When using the diatom as a treatment by continuous filtration, you should
take care not to 'overwork' or tire your fish by too much current over a
long period of time."

Thanks. I didn't know the info changed. :-)))

Surely there would be a warning about NOT using the filter for continuous
filtration rather than the above if it wasnt designed for it ???

I agree with you. I was going by what the man at FishTownUSA told us that
day. Since it's not a biological filter I really have no need for it to run
24/7/365 anyway. My water is usually crystal clear until I stir it up
gravel vaccing and doing water changes. Then I run the Vortex for an hour
or two.......

Thoughts ??

I'm glad to know this but have no need for mine to run 24/7. Also, we find
the noise it makes a bit irritating. Our Aquaclears are darn near dead
silent and are both mechanical and biological filters. I only use the
Vortex for water polishing.

I dont really wanna blow up my $500 investment - yep - damn expensive over
here in oz - hehe doh !!

WHAT???? $500 bucks for a DE filter? Was that a typo? They're around $50
here in the USA depending where you buy them.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old January 18th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
I do know that the vortex freedom filter is sold as a continuous duty
filter, and I have read that the other filters (xl, d1, and competitors
except for maybe the whisper diatomaceous earth filter called the
"diatomagic") are not designed to be used continuously, apparently for
multiple reasons. Just thought I'd throw that out there so you can make an
informed decision (i.e. returning the filter for another type like the
vortex freedom filter or for a refund for example). Good luck and later!

===========
I missed something. I didn't know he was talking about a DE filter other
than the Vortex xl or d1. I have an older d1. As far as I know it was not
designed for continuous use but can't find the pamphlet that came with it.
These filters clog so quickly since they filter such fine particles from the
water I can't see how you can run them continuously.

Old January 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I agree with you. I was going by what the man at FishTownUSA told us that
day.

yeah, the website that I bought mine off says the same thing - not designed
for continuous use, but rather for use as an intermittent polisher etc.

Since it's not a biological filter I really have no need for it to run
24/7/365 anyway. My water is usually crystal clear until I stir it up
gravel vaccing and doing water changes. Then I run the Vortex for an hour
or two.......

I've got a bad feeling that if I stop running the vortex my green cloud
algae will return... Hmm...

Regarding the fast clogging of the DE - yep it certainly gets full of crap
and changes colour fairly quick, but the water flow doesnt diminish a hell
of alot ??

My first charge collected the most crud, and after 1 week the water flow
still *seemed* ok...
I backflushed, recharged with fresh powder, and made sure to check out the
flow as soon as I started it back up - flow was about the same as after
running for 1 week with 1st charge ???? Hmmm....... maybe the head of
water is too much - 3 foot ?? better check the manual....

WHAT???? $500 bucks for a DE filter? Was that a typo? They're around
$50 here in the USA depending where you buy them.

no typo my friend....
$450 for the D1
$550 for the XL
$200 for an Eheim 2213

How much for an Eheim over there ?????

Well, I shoulda got u to buy me a vortex & send it over - u woulda made a
great profit and I still woulda come out way ahead - even after postage &
duty etc. :-(

Cheers.

Old January 18th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I agree with you. I was going by what the man at FishTownUSA told us
that day.

yeah, the website that I bought mine off says the same thing - not
designed for continuous use, but rather for use as an intermittent
polisher etc.

The other poster must have a different DE filter then. Not the XL or D1. I
didn't know any would run continuously due to their clogging so quickly in
any case. And they're useless as biological filters.

Since it's not a biological filter I really have no need for it to run
24/7/365 anyway. My water is usually crystal clear until I stir it up
gravel vaccing and doing water changes. Then I run the Vortex for an
hour or two.......

I've got a bad feeling that if I stop running the vortex my green cloud
algae will return... Hmm...

You need to find the problem behind this algae. Something is FEEDING it.

Regarding the fast clogging of the DE - yep it certainly gets full of crap
and changes colour fairly quick, but the water flow doesnt diminish a hell
of alot ??

Mine will when the surface of the powder is covered with crapola from the
water change. It'll do several tanks then I change the powder.

My first charge collected the most crud, and after 1 week the water flow
still *seemed* ok...
I backflushed, recharged with fresh powder, and made sure to check out the
flow as soon as I started it back up - flow was about the same as after
running for 1 week with 1st charge ???? Hmmm....... maybe the head of
water is too much - 3 foot ?? better check the manual....

That doesn't sound right. There may be a small hole in the bag, it's not
seated right, or not enough powder. Your tank should be CLEAR after no more
than a few hours at most. A good bag, well seated and with enough powder
will clog after several hours in a tank that's a real mess with green water
and other floating "stuff." By then the tank should have crystal clear
water.

WHAT???? $500 bucks for a DE filter? Was that a typo? They're around
$50 here in the USA depending where you buy them.

no typo my friend....
$450 for the D1
$550 for the XL
$200 for an Eheim 2213

How much for an Eheim over there ?????

They run $200 to $250 here in the USA. Where are you located?

Well, I shoulda got u to buy me a vortex & send it over - u woulda made a
great profit and I still woulda come out way ahead - even after postage &
duty etc. :-(

What country are you in?

Old January 19th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Where can you find screw in 40 and 60 watt lights for really small
tanks like 2.5 or 5 gallon? I haven't found anything above 15 watts.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old January 19th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"KStringer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where can you find screw in 40 and 60 watt lights for really small
tanks like 2.5 or 5 gallon? I haven't found anything above 15 watts.

========================
I just bought several packages at Wal*Mart. They carry the 40s and 60s if
you mean the "screw-in" fluorescent lights. If you don't want those, buy
the flame-shaped bulbs made for chandeliers. They'll fit in small
reflectors. They come in all watts at Wal*Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot,
K-Mart........

Old January 19th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

You need to find the problem behind this algae. Something is FEEDING it.

yeah, I think its an inablility of my plants to compete for the nutrients ?

Mine will when the surface of the powder is covered with crapola from the
water change. It'll do several tanks then I change the powder.

what do u do with the filter in-between tanks ??
if u store it dry - ur powder would be down the drain after u backflush it ?
if u store it wet - you'd grow stinky mulm ???

That doesn't sound right. There may be a small hole in the bag,

If there was a hole in the bag - wouldnt i just recirculate DE powder when
charging ??

it's not
seated right, or not enough powder.

I used 1.5 cups when doing my second charge - manual recommends at least 1
cup for the D1.

Your tank should be CLEAR after no more
than a few hours at most.

when u say clear - do u mean when looking sideways thru the tank (4 foot of
water) crystal clear ?
mine looks pretty good from the front, but when looking thru 4 foot of water
from the side - its cloudy - i can see thru to the other end - but it aint
crystal clear by a long shot.

A good bag, well seated and with enough powder
will clog after several hours in a tank that's a real mess with green
water and other floating "stuff." By then the tank should have crystal
clear water.

Are there types of algae that are less than 1 micron ?
The vortext is only rated to filter down to a micron or so...

$450 for the D1
$550 for the XL
$200 for an Eheim 2213

How much for an Eheim over there ?????

They run $200 to $250 here in the USA. Where are you located?

Im in Australia.
I got my Eheim Classic 2213 for under AU$200
The Vortex D1 cost me AU$450

go figure... must be volume of sales related.... ???
Cheers.