RAMVA member list

Old December 9th 04, 12:59 PM
Jan

Default RAMVA member list

To be qualified as a "member" of this newsgroup,
all you need to do is have a passion for aircooled VW's.

You don't even need to write here.

I maintain a list of members he

http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/ramvaworld.html

listing consists of name, cars owned (Only aircooled VW's are listed)
and location.
You can use a nickname if you like, one that you use here in this
newsgroup for example.
(So that other Ramva members would recognize you).

Your name on the page can be linked to your email address, but it won't
be displayed on the website.
It is however possible to retrieve the email address from the page HTML
code, so technically it is possible for email harvesting programs to
find it and it could then be added on spam mailing lists. I don't know
if they have found this site or not. I will gladly leave your email
address out if you like, but then people can't contact you through the
listings.

I can also link your website if you want.

Commercial websites or "ads" are accepted with certain limitations.
Banners negotiable

You will see that the site is ad-free, save for the FORCED
Geocities/Yahoo ads that they implemented a while ago. I have no control
over that.

I will never give or sell these email addresses to any 3rd party. It's
just for us here at RAMVA.
If you are worried about harvesting bots, give a bogus email addy. If
you say nothing at all about the email address, I will use the one you
emailed me from. !!!!

NOTE: I will NEVER add ANYONE unless I get a request directly by email.
Name, cars owned, city and state/country.

I will not accept or display street addresses or phone numbers for
privacy & security reasons.

And yes it's free, and no I don't benefit from it in any way.

Jan
Old December 9th 04, 01:27 PM
cloud8

Jan > wrote in
:

> It is however possible to retrieve the email address from the page HTML
> code, so technically it is possible for email harvesting programs to
> find it and it could then be added on spam mailing lists. I don't know
> if they have found this site or not. I will gladly leave your email
> address out if you like, but then people can't contact you through the
> listings.

How about making the addy visible, but allow spam deterrents like
MERcom

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old December 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Jan Andersson

cloud8 wrote:

> Jan > wrote in
> :
>
> > It is however possible to retrieve the email address from the page HTML
> > code, so technically it is possible for email harvesting programs to
> > find it and it could then be added on spam mailing lists. I don't know
> > if they have found this site or not. I will gladly leave your email
> > address out if you like, but then people can't contact you through the
> > listings.
> >

> How about making the addy visible, but allow spam deterrents like
> MERcom
>
> --
> Bill Merrill
> Arlington, Mass.
> '70 Convertible

Well, I think it should come from the person who wants his listed
I'll think about converting all of them to have spam deterrents like
that.

There, now I thought about it. Entirely too much work to go through them
all

Jan
Old December 10th 04, 05:48 PM
cloud8

Jan Andersson > wrote in
:

> Well, I think it should come from the person who wants his listed
> I'll think about converting all of them to have spam deterrents like
> that.

I was thinking along the lines of sites I've come across where the
user can fill out his own profile. I was thinking of adding my cloud8
handle...no need for you to do that

> There, now I thought about it. Entirely too much work to go through
> them all

joka tapauksessa I hear help will be arriving from Florida sometime soon.

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old December 10th 04, 06:23 PM
Jan Andersson

cloud8 wrote:

> Jan Andersson > wrote in
> :
>

> > Well, I think it should come from the person who wants his listed
> > I'll think about converting all of them to have spam deterrents like
> > that.

> I was thinking along the lines of sites I've come across where the
> user can fill out his own profile. I was thinking of adding my cloud8
> handle...no need for you to do that

I just never wanted people to have access to the site in any way.
Plus I'm not sure Geo****heads allow such scripts.

> > There, now I thought about it. Entirely too much work to go through
> > them all

> joka tapauksessa I hear help will be arriving from Florida sometime soon.

Oh yea, easy women and cheap labor... I love Florida

Jan
Old December 10th 04, 10:02 PM
Red Bug

In article >,
Jan Andersson > wrote:

> I just never wanted people to have access to the site in any way.

Not that... just a simple web page form (javascript) that will let them
fill in fields and then click a button that sends a formatted email to
the address of your choice. The form makes sure that you can use the
info easily when you need to make an addition. It's pretty basic stuff.

Look at the example he

<http://www.kenoraclassiccarclub.ca/ContactUs.htm>

The FORM is right at the bottom... Look at the page source HTML to see
how it is done. Hey, do you like the radio at the top that acts as the
navigation system for the site? That's my work! I also did the
background image for the pages.

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old December 10th 04, 10:55 PM
Jan Andersson

Red Bug wrote:

> In article >,
> Jan Andersson > wrote:
>
> > I just never wanted people to have access to the site in any way.

> Not that... just a simple web page form (javascript) that will let them
> fill in fields and then click a button that sends a formatted email to
> the address of your choice. The form makes sure that you can use the
> info easily when you need to make an addition. It's pretty basic stuff.
>
> Look at the example he
>
> <http://www.kenoraclassiccarclub.ca/ContactUs.htm>
>
> The FORM is right at the bottom... Look at the page source HTML to see
> how it is done. Hey, do you like the radio at the top that acts as the
> navigation system for the site? That's my work! I also did the
> background image for the pages.

Nice!

I don't think Javascript existed when I first created the site in the
90's
Eventhough it didn't work on netscape 4.77, it did with Firefox. Looks
good.

I experimented with something just like that (only it was done with html
not javascript) but I abandoned it. It's not that much work to cut and
paste someone's name, cars and city on a web page... so I try to keep it
simple.

Jan
Old December 10th 04, 10:57 PM
Jan Andersson

Kidd Andersson wrote:

> >Oh yea, easy women and cheap labor... I love Florida
> >
> >Jan

> I'll give you the easy part, but *nothing* about my labor has been
> cheap for you. Just ask your ATM and credit cards.

LOL

You aren't all that bad.....

Jan
Old December 11th 04, 03:22 PM