Check engine light.. Code: P1362

Old June 30th 05, 01:32 AM
Andrew

Default Check engine light.. Code: P1362

Hi Everyone,

I got a check engine light diagnosed & it came back as 'P1362:
Multiple misfire or No Signal In TDC 1 Sensor Circuit'. I replaced
my cap,rotor,wires & plugs ( they needed replacing anyways ) & am
still getting the same code.. I did a little searching around & it
appears that my next step would be replacement of the distributor.
Does anyone have any suggestions ? If its a loss of signal in the
sensor circuit could it be a loose wire and if so which one should I
check ?

Regards

Andrew

98' Civic LX 127000km

Old June 30th 05, 03:11 AM
TeGGeR®

Andrew > wrote in
:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I got a check engine light diagnosed & it came back as 'P1362:
> Multiple misfire or No Signal In TDC 1 Sensor Circuit'. I replaced
> my cap,rotor,wires & plugs ( they needed replacing anyways ) & am
> still getting the same code.. I did a little searching around & it
> appears that my next step would be replacement of the distributor.
> Does anyone have any suggestions ? If its a loss of signal in the
> sensor circuit could it be a loose wire and if so which one should I
> check ?

Was the light reset after the repair?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 30th 05, 02:13 PM
Andrew

TeGGeR=AE wrote:
> Andrew > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I got a check engine light diagnosed & it came back as 'P1362:
> > Multiple misfire or No Signal In TDC 1 Sensor Circuit'. I replaced
> > my cap,rotor,wires & plugs ( they needed replacing anyways ) & am
> > still getting the same code.. I did a little searching around & it
> > appears that my next step would be replacement of the distributor.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions ? If its a loss of signal in the
> > sensor circuit could it be a loose wire and if so which one should I
> > check ?

> Was the light reset after the repair?
>

> --
> TeGGeR=AE
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Yes, I reset the light by pulling the backup fuse.. It came on again a
little while later.. I have also noticed that my car is idling a
little lower than normal ( approx 750--> 850rpm ). The mechanic I took
it to suggested that I change the cap, rotor, wires, plugs which I
did..=20

Any suggestions ? =20

Thanks=20

Andrew

Old June 30th 05, 03:00 PM
TeGGeR®

"Andrew" > wrote in
oups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> Was the light reset after the repair?
>>

> Yes, I reset the light by pulling the backup fuse.. It came on again a
> little while later.. I have also noticed that my car is idling a
> little lower than normal ( approx 750--> 850rpm ). The mechanic I took
> it to suggested that I change the cap, rotor, wires, plugs which I
> did..

Did you reset the base timing after?

> Any suggestions ?

A P1xxx code is a non-mandated "enhanced" code. It's Honda-specific and is
not required by the EPA.

It sounds like the TDC (Top Dead Center) or CYP (CYlinder Position) sensor
is reporting out of range.

See he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...rror-P1362.pdf

It's from the '98 Integra, but will hopefully be close enough to give you
some clue what to check.

Has the car ever been in a collision that damaged the engine compartment?
Any corrosion in the connectors?

Old June 30th 05, 06:01 PM
Andrew

> > TeGGeR=AE wrote:

> >> Was the light reset after the repair?
> >>

> > Yes, I reset the light by pulling the backup fuse.. It came on again a
> > little while later.. I have also noticed that my car is idling a
> > little lower than normal ( approx 750--> 850rpm ). The mechanic I took
> > it to suggested that I change the cap, rotor, wires, plugs which I
> > did..

> Did you reset the base timing after?

No I did not.. I am assuming that this procedure requires a timing
light ? I have one if neccessary.

> > Any suggestions ?

> A P1xxx code is a non-mandated "enhanced" code. It's Honda-specific and is
> not required by the EPA.
>

> It sounds like the TDC (Top Dead Center) or CYP (CYlinder Position) sensor
> is reporting out of range.
>
> See he
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...rror-P1362.pdf

Okay, kewl. Ok, to check TDC/CYP I put the Ohm meter probes between
sensor terminal 7 (P1362) and ground ? I replace if its below .5 or
above 1k ohm ?

> It's from the '98 Integra, but will hopefully be close enough to give you
> some clue what to check.
>
> Has the car ever been in a collision that damaged the engine compartment?
> Any corrosion in the connectors?

Good suggestions. I will check the connectors & clean if neccessary.
As far as I am aware its never been in an accident..

Old June 30th 05, 06:51 PM
TeGGeR®

"Andrew" > wrote in
ups.com:

>> > Yes, I reset the light by pulling the backup fuse.. It came on
>> > again a little while later.. I have also noticed that my car is
>> > idling a little lower than normal ( approx 750--> 850rpm ). The
>> > mechanic I took it to suggested that I change the cap, rotor,
>> > wires, plugs which I did..

>> Did you reset the base timing after?
>>

> No I did not.. I am assuming that this procedure requires a timing
> light ? I have one if neccessary.

Yes you need a light. You probably also need to jump the gray timing
connector before setting the timing. That used to be behind the passenger
kick panel. Don't know if they moved it in later models.

Yor crank pulley has a group of three notches in its rim. The timing mark
on the timing belt cover should be in the middle of those three marks with
the timing light strobing on it.

Old July 1st 05, 12:09 AM
Andrew

UPDATE:

My distributor is showing .460k Ohms between DTC ( pin 7 ) & gnd ( pin
3 ).. Looks like im just below the threashold of .5k ohms. Doh. My
timing appears to be retarded a couple of degrees but I did not bridge
the grey connector as I could not find it.. Once I will I will
recheck.

Old July 1st 05, 06:45 PM
Andrew

Looks like my timing is okay.. The alighnment marks appear okay..
I'm going to pick up a distributor tommorow..

Andrew

Old July 10th 05, 04:52 AM
Andrew

Andrew wrote:
> Looks like my timing is okay.. The alighnment marks appear okay..
> I'm going to pick up a distributor tommorow..
>
> Andrew

Installed new distributor.. Everything is working now & my idle
problem has dissapeared.. So haveing a bad TDC sensor will cause
problems with idle..

Old July 10th 05, 05:16 AM
TeGGeR®

"Andrew" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Andrew wrote:
>> Looks like my timing is okay.. The alighnment marks appear okay..
>> I'm going to pick up a distributor tommorow..
>>
>> Andrew

> Installed new distributor.. Everything is working now & my idle
> problem has dissapeared.. So haveing a bad TDC sensor will cause
> problems with idle..

Good to know. Thanks for the followup.