Vibration at low speeds?

Old January 31st 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Vibration at low speeds?

I am looking at a 99 Explorer. At low speeds there is a vibration and a bit
of a rumbling noise. It goes away at higher speeds.

The owner says it is due to one brand new (drivers side front) tire with an
aggressive tread. (the other three tires are worn, but okay) He says the
mechanic he just took it to told him it would go away when the tire wore a
bit.

Does this make sense? He is selling it with a 30 day warranty, but I sure
don't need trouble.

Old January 31st 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Toller" > wrote in message
>I am looking at a 99 Explorer. At low speeds there is a vibration and a
>bit of a rumbling noise. It goes away at higher speeds.
>
> The owner says it is due to one brand new (drivers side front) tire with
> an aggressive tread. (the other three tires are worn, but okay) He says
> the mechanic he just took it to told him it would go away when the tire
> wore a bit.
>
> Does this make sense? He is selling it with a 30 day warranty, but I sure
> don't need trouble.

Rotate the ties and see if the noise follows the tire.

Ed

Old February 1st 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Don't think I would want an Explorer with one mis-matched tire. Your
description makes it sound like a new AT tire matched with 3 worn
highway tread tires. There are plenty of used Explorers out there, I
would question buying one I had doubts about unless the owner can do
something to resolve this question.

Old February 3rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Toller" > wrote in message
> I am looking at a 99 Explorer. At low speeds there is a vibration and a

bit
> of a rumbling noise. It goes away at higher speeds.
>
> The owner says it is due to one brand new (drivers side front) tire with

an
> aggressive tread. (the other three tires are worn, but okay) He says the
> mechanic he just took it to told him it would go away when the tire wore a
> bit.
>
> Does this make sense? He is selling it with a 30 day warranty, but I sure
> don't need trouble.

It looks like you already bought it but I'll ask anyway: is it 4WD? If so
and if you have Control Trak I've read that one odd tire can mess up your
sensors.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Ulysses" > wrote in message

> "Toller" > wrote in message
>> I am looking at a 99 Explorer. At low speeds there is a vibration and a

> bit
>> of a rumbling noise. It goes away at higher speeds.
>>
>> The owner says it is due to one brand new (drivers side front) tire with

> an
>> aggressive tread. (the other three tires are worn, but okay) He says
>> the
>> mechanic he just took it to told him it would go away when the tire wore
>> bit.
>>
>> Does this make sense? He is selling it with a 30 day warranty, but I
>> sure
>> don't need trouble.
>>

> It looks like you already bought it but I'll ask anyway: is it 4WD? If so
> and if you have Control Trak I've read that one odd tire can mess up your
> sensors.

I hadn't bought it when I posted, but I have now.
Yeh, 4WD.
My other 4WD manuals have cautioned against having odd tires, but the
Explorer manual doesn't. The other tires aren't all that bad, just not as
new as the odd one.

Old February 4th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Toller" > wrote in message

> "Ulysses" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Toller" > wrote in message
> >> I am looking at a 99 Explorer. At low speeds there is a vibration and

> > bit
> >> of a rumbling noise. It goes away at higher speeds.
> >>
> >> The owner says it is due to one brand new (drivers side front) tire

with
> > an
> >> aggressive tread. (the other three tires are worn, but okay) He says
> >> the
> >> mechanic he just took it to told him it would go away when the tire

wore
> >> bit.
> >>
> >> Does this make sense? He is selling it with a 30 day warranty, but I
> >> sure
> >> don't need trouble.
> >>

> > It looks like you already bought it but I'll ask anyway: is it 4WD? If

so
> > and if you have Control Trak I've read that one odd tire can mess up

your
> > sensors.
> >

> I hadn't bought it when I posted, but I have now.
> Yeh, 4WD.
> My other 4WD manuals have cautioned against having odd tires, but the
> Explorer manual doesn't. The other tires aren't all that bad, just not as
> new as the odd one.

I think it may have been Jim Warman who posted the info some time back.
Apparently the Control Trak uses wheel sensors to sense slipping and if the
tires are turning at different speeds it will decide that they are slipping
and engage 4WD. I guess it would be noticeable while trying to turn on
pavement--if the front end is having a hard time turning then it is probably
engaged. My '97 with Control Trak doesn't have any indicator when it
engages but maybe your '99 does.