Drivers side door wont unlock except when opened from inside

Old March 2nd 05, 02:38 AM
annonymous

Default Drivers side door wont unlock except when opened from inside

My drivers side door wont unlock with the remote control or when I put the
key in but will unlock when I open it from teh inside. Has anyone had this
problem before and know the cheapest fix for it?

2000XLT
73k mi

Old March 2nd 05, 02:44 AM
Rick Venable

Oops,

Didn't know I was sending it annonimus. You may reply to this email
address.

Old March 6th 05, 02:22 AM
Bill Hall

Before you get too deep in replacing parts,check my previous post on
"Electric Door locks Blow Fuses" .
The problem and fix was the manual door mechanism was binding! First; take
the door lock button "off" and then try the electric remote and the "fob".
If the lock/unlock function works ,simply replace the plastic lock button
with a longer aftermarket one. If that doesn't work you may have to pull the
door panel and check for a "binding " mechanism (I had to and it's a simple
process). Make sure you don't break the attaching plastic clips. Use an
upholstery tool "if you can get one" (they are cheap). Then troubleshoot for
binding with the panel off. May not be your problem,however, mine was
binding so bad that the unlock mechanism was placing a load on the door
locks so tightly that it caused the fuse (#18) to constantly blow!
BTW: for those that read the previous post. No one used a "slim jim" as I
suspected! :>)
Bill