Tank Top Question

Old October 27th 03, 04:54 PM
joe

Default Tank Top Question

I'm putting together a 75 gallon freshwater planted tank setup with an
Oceanic tank. I bought the tank and custom cabinet at an auction, but
there is no cover glass on the tank itself. I put in my own lighting
setup in the tank cabinet, and was wondering what was the best thing to
cover the water with. I have access to acrylic, or I can go buy
standard hinged glass tops. Are there any concerns with light filtering
if I use something besides glass? Also, how much space should I leave
for air exchange from the water? I was thinking of leaving the back 1
inch uncovered, at least on one side, because I need to get my filter
and heater lines in somewhere...

Also, here is my setup so far...please let me know if you see any huge
issues:

75 Gallon show tank
40 pounds of Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil (about 2.5 inches deep)
60 pounds of inert gravel on top (1/2 to 1 inch deep)
Some sort of nutrient balls to be installed with plants
Fluval 404 filter
300W titanium heater
240W of lighting in 4 foot tubes (2 grow-lites, 2 daylights, 2 full
spectrum lights)
CO2 compressed setup coming soon with home-built in-line reactor

Thanks!

Tim - Planted Tank Newbie
Replies to , please, or to the group

Old October 27th 03, 06:49 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

This wasn't the PVAS auction was it?

"joe" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

Old October 27th 03, 07:07 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

I reccomend going with the standard glass tops. Acrylic / plexiglass will
bow and get distorted.

cover the water with. I have access to acrylic, or I can go buy
standard hinged glass tops. Are there any concerns with light filtering
if I use something besides glass? Also, how much space should I leave
for air exchange from the water? I was thinking of leaving the back 1

1"- 2" is a reasonable amount of space.

Old October 27th 03, 08:40 PM
joe

Nope. I bought it at an auction through work, and got the tank and
custom wrap-around stand for $20. Can't beat that!

Thanks for the feedback on the glass!

Tim

Old October 27th 03, 08:52 PM
zeek

For your question on lighting... you could always go open-top if you
don't plan on having fishes which are prone to jumping. I think the
open-top adds another dimension to the aquaria to enjoy, especially
when plants produce flowers above the waterline.
Otherwise you could have some tempered glass custom-cut at any glass
places which offer it. At one time I was using a top, and had some
glass cut for me. It wasn't cheap... a 2'x9"x1/2" tempered with a
beveled edge cost me about sixty bucks, and I need two of them! (sizes
approximate, I don't remember exact) Today they're sitting in my
attic, lights hung from the ceiling. It's a much more appealing look.

As for your setup, I strongly recommend you reconsider your choice of
substrate. The fact that your are a self-proclaimed "Planted Tank
Newbie" is the reason I suggest it. Soil substrates are best left to
those who are more experienced with planted setups; and even then it's
an arguable point at that! I would suggest either 100% flourite or a
mix of flourite and gravel if money is a concern. After you get a few
years of experience and lots of reading you can always re-visit the
idea of a soil based substrate. This is especially true if you go 100%
flourite instead of a mix because it will be easier to reuse with the
soil later on.

I've had a planted setup for about five years now... About a year ago
I converted my substrate to flourite and soil (with heating cables).
So far it's been a very positive experience -- but I'm glad I did not
attempt a soil substrate with my first planted tank. Beleive me, it's
not for the faint of heart!

Best of luck
Isaac

Old October 27th 03, 10:12 PM
Dave Millman

zeek wrote:

[...]

Everyone listen to Zeek on this one. I've been into planted tanks for two years
and I still would never repeat the soil mistake I made when starting out.
Flourite is wonderful.

Old October 27th 03, 10:45 PM
joe

Zeek and Dave...

Everything I have read supported Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil as a good
medium. It is nothing more than clay ground into a nice consistancy for
plant roots. For every bad posting I found 10 good ones (and the bad
ones were typically about water chemistry changes which were
non-repeatable or the light nature of the stuff, which is resolved with
the gravel layer on top). My Profile under gravel mix seemed to be the
most succesful and highly recommended conbination. As far as real
'potting soil' (dirt based stuff), I agree...not a good starter's choice.

Now, if money wasn't an issue, I would have bought Flourite. I don't
think anyone would disagree that it is the 'growing medium of choice'.
I just need to keep my startup costs down.

I am going to use Laterite balls for added nutrient support in the soil
under the plants that require it, and of course, water column additives
as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim

Old October 27th 03, 10:51 PM
Dunter Powries

joe wrote in message ...
...the light nature of the stuff, which is resolved with
the gravel layer on top...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, my.

Old October 27th 03, 11:26 PM
Victor Martinez

Everything I have read supported Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil as a good
medium. It is nothing more than clay ground into a nice consistancy for
plant roots. For every bad posting I found 10 good ones (and the bad

We've used it in the pond. Never heard of anybody using it for a tank.
Anyhow, the consistency is pretty bad, I'm guessing small plants will
float off a lot.

the gravel layer on top). My Profile under gravel mix seemed to be the
most succesful and highly recommended conbination. As far as real

Stick to plain gravel then. The "soil" doesn't add anything.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 28th 03, 05:37 AM
Joe Zoolan

Dunter...sorry to be so stupid. I guess reporting what I've read in 100
other posts over the past 2 weeks isn't good enough for you. Thanks for
the constructive feedback...

Tim