Police crush sunbather

Old June 13th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Police crush sunbather

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html

When I was in the military, I was taught "attention to detail." These
cops apparently forgot that principle. They're no safer than anyone
else.

Old June 13th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"morticide" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html
>
> When I was in the military, I was taught "attention to detail." These
> cops apparently forgot that principle. They're no safer than anyone
> else.

" An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on
paid leave pending an investigation. "

Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

Old June 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article ews.net>, Mike T. wrote:

>"morticide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html
>>
>> When I was in the military, I was taught "attention to detail." These
>> cops apparently forgot that principle. They're no safer than anyone
>> else.

>" An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on
>paid leave pending an investigation. "
>
>Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
>PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

A Boston police officer who raped a woman in his cruiser was
recently forced to take a year unpaid vacation. Manslaughter
gets you 45 days without pay.

--
John Carr )
Old June 13th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Mike T. wrote:
> "morticide" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html
> >
> > When I was in the military, I was taught "attention to detail." These
> > cops apparently forgot that principle. They're no safer than anyone
> > else.
> >

> " An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on
> paid leave pending an investigation. "
>
> Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
> PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

You do understand our system of justice? Innocent until proven guilty?
Yes they are put on paid leave until the investigation etc is over and
then the penalty of whatever is applied. I guess you want everyone to
be penalized at the instant of being accused of something eh?

Harry K

Old June 13th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>,
Harry K > wrote:

>Mike T. wrote:
>>
>> Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
>> PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

>You do understand our system of justice? Innocent until proven guilty?
> Yes they are put on paid leave until the investigation etc is over and
>then the penalty of whatever is applied. I guess you want everyone to
>be penalized at the instant of being accused of something eh?

That's how the system works for the rest of us.

A civilian in the same situation would be arrested on suspicion
of homicide and leaving the scene of a fatal accident. He would
lose his job. He would lose his driver's license. He would be
liable for $5K to $50K in lawyer's fees. If he was lucky he
would have enough money left to make bail. He would be out on
probation -- not a free man -- for six months or a year until
trial. The dead woman's family's lawyers would have filed a
multimillion dollar lawsuit and put a lien on his house. And
none of this depends on his guilt. If he wins at both trials,
he still goes through all of this.

Suspension without pay is much better treatment than civilians get.

--
John Carr )
Old June 13th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

>> " An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on
>> paid leave pending an investigation. "
>>
>> Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
>> PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

> You do understand our system of justice? Innocent until proven guilty?
> Yes they are put on paid leave until the investigation etc is over and
> then the penalty of whatever is applied. I guess you want everyone to
> be penalized at the instant of being accused of something eh?
>
> Harry K

You are confused. As a defendant, you are innocent until proven guilty (at
least in theory).

As an employee, you are employed "at will". If you **** up, you are fired,
and you have no right of appeal. Any of my employees runs over someone with
a company vehicle, they are FIRED, period. If they can somehow later prove
that they didn't actually run someone over with a company vehicle, I *might*
consider re-hiring them.

But it works differently, if you are a cop. Employees with badges who ****
up are rewarded with a paid vacation.
WHY??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????? -Dave

Old June 13th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, John F. Carr wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Harry K > wrote:
>>
>>Mike T. wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is it that every time a cop ****s up BIG TIME, he is rewarded with a
>>> PAID VACATION?????????????????????????????????????????? ? -Dave

>>You do understand our system of justice? Innocent until proven guilty?
>> Yes they are put on paid leave until the investigation etc is over and
>>then the penalty of whatever is applied. I guess you want everyone to
>>be penalized at the instant of being accused of something eh?

> That's how the system works for the rest of us.
>
> A civilian in the same situation would be arrested on suspicion
> of homicide and leaving the scene of a fatal accident. He would
> lose his job. He would lose his driver's license. He would be
> liable for $5K to $50K in lawyer's fees. If he was lucky he
> would have enough money left to make bail. He would be out on
> probation -- not a free man -- for six months or a year until
> trial. The dead woman's family's lawyers would have filed a
> multimillion dollar lawsuit and put a lien on his house. And
> none of this depends on his guilt. If he wins at both trials,
> he still goes through all of this.
>
> Suspension without pay is much better treatment than civilians get.

Exactly. If a regular person is so much accused, he's in deep ****. A
cop, well that's special. And someone is going jabber about them being on
the job at the time... so is someone who drives a delivery truck.

Old June 13th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> Let's see: You're sunbathing on the beach, a big honkin' SUV parked on
> the sand berm directly above you fires up its engine, but you don't
> move. It begins to roll forward, but you still don't move, and you
> allow the SUV to roll right over your head.
>
> Had she not already had a son, Cindy would have been our newest Darwin
> Award winner.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/bea....ap/index.html

That's pretty harsh. First, how do you know that the sunbather was awake?
It SHOULD be relatively safe to fall asleep on the beach. Last I checked,
motorized vehicles weren't allowed on the beach, PERIOD.

But let's look at this from the point of view of what actually happened.
You are sunbathing on a beach with TONS OF WHITE NOISE, generated by the
PACIFIC fricking OCEAN. That's ignoring the noise generated by other beach
users, and the noise of car engines driving on nearby roads and parking
lots.

An SUV is idling it's large V8 engine nearby. Will you hear it? Not
likely, as the V8 is pretty quiet. It WILL be masked by the background
noise. In contrast, you might notice if something like a Corolla or Camry
was fired up nearby. But the SUV has a low-reving engine that emits
non-directional low-frequency audio, at relatively low volume levels at
idle.

If you hear the SUV at all (unlikely), you won't know that it's nearby, and
you certainly won't know where it is from your current location. Let's not
forget that there's a sand berm between you and the SUV, which will further
attenuate the sound of the SUV engine, which is already buried in background
noise.

In any case, you aren't expecting a vehicle to pop over the berm behind you.
For one thing, just driving on the beach is illegal. For another thing, if
you are going to illegally drive on the beach, you don't need to scale a
berm to enter it. (there are easier and much more obvious entry points)

So we're talking about a person who most likely did not hear a vehicle that
she wasn't expecting to illegally drive on the beach. On top of that, it
scales a nearby berm and lands on her head. Something tells me these cops
were having a bit of fun with the company vehicle. You can't drive onto the
beach where it's level, you have to scale the berm to get there, as that's
much more fun. -Dave

Old June 13th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Let's see: You're sunbathing on the beach, a big honkin' SUV parked on
> the sand berm directly above you fires up its engine, but you don't
> move. It begins to roll forward, but you still don't move, and you
> allow the SUV to roll right over your head.

Maybe she was asleep? With all the other background noise, she may not
have noticed until it was too late.

Old June 13th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

>>Maybe she was asleep? With all the other background noise, she may not
>>have noticed until it was too late.

> Seems like a pretty important detail to leave out of the story,
> doesn't it?

Well it's pretty hard to ask her if she was sleeping or not. -Dave