Angry on Long Island!!!

Old June 12th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Angry on Long Island!!!

Just got some wonderful news over the weekend - Seems that 6 months after I
buy my Saturn, DCH which is some corporatation that has exclusive rights to
the Long Island area, and owns all 5 Saturn dealers on Long Island, has
decided to close all dealerships in Suffolk county, leaving 2 in Nassau
County (Hicksville & Massapequa). This leaves Suffolk county which is twice
as big and has a population of more than the state of Rhode Island, with NO
dealerships. They're even closing Medford which they just built a year
ago!! Now all of Long Island is going to have to try to squeeze into 2
delaerships as well as the more importantly fact that the closest dealer is
now 50 miles away from me, and there are people it's much worse for who are
further out on the Island. 50 miles may not seem to bad in a rural area
where you can just jump on the interstate, but those with knowledge of this
area know that this could take as much as 2 hours each way. This cowardy
corporate office is not even notifiying customers except those that come in
during the next month to have thier cars serviced. They are giving one
months notice. IMO, this gives GM and Saturn a black eye. I have spoken
to my father as well as my niegbor who also have bought Saturns in the last
2 years and they will never buy another one. I'm sorry for venting, but
this would have been a HUGE decision when buying my car only 6 months ago
and I now feel abondoned. This was my first GM vehicle, and will make sure
this is my LAST, even though I like the Vue.

I hear that this was not a Saturn or GM corporate decision, but is there
anyway they could step in and save one of them??? I'm not exagerating when
I say there are tons of Saturn owners in Suffolk. Typical app't time in
Medford was a week, so it's not like they were sitting around.

Again, sorry for venting, but I would have to take a day off from work, not
to even mention the gas in order to get service now. Any advice on where to
pass my anger on so that Saturn knows how many customers they just lost??
<gritting my teeth- erg>

Again, sorry - my anger and venting are fresh right now and I'm pretty
****ed if you can't tell....

Scott

Old June 12th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

IYM wrote:
> Just got some wonderful news over the weekend - Seems that 6 months after I
> buy my Saturn, DCH which is some corporatation that has exclusive rights to
> the Long Island area, and owns all 5 Saturn dealers on Long Island, has
> decided to close all dealerships in Suffolk county, leaving 2 in Nassau
> County (Hicksville & Massapequa). This leaves Suffolk county which is twice
> as big and has a population of more than the state of Rhode Island, with NO
> dealerships. They're even closing Medford which they just built a year
> ago!! Now all of Long Island is going to have to try to squeeze into 2
> delaerships as well as the more importantly fact that the closest dealer is
> now 50 miles away from me, and there are people it's much worse for who are
> further out on the Island. 50 miles may not seem to bad in a rural area
> where you can just jump on the interstate, but those with knowledge of this
> area know that this could take as much as 2 hours each way. This cowardy
> corporate office is not even notifiying customers except those that come in
> during the next month to have thier cars serviced. They are giving one
> months notice. IMO, this gives GM and Saturn a black eye. I have spoken
> to my father as well as my niegbor who also have bought Saturns in the last
> 2 years and they will never buy another one. I'm sorry for venting, but
> this would have been a HUGE decision when buying my car only 6 months ago
> and I now feel abondoned. This was my first GM vehicle, and will make sure
> this is my LAST, even though I like the Vue.
>
> I hear that this was not a Saturn or GM corporate decision, but is there
> anyway they could step in and save one of them??? I'm not exagerating when
> I say there are tons of Saturn owners in Suffolk. Typical app't time in
> Medford was a week, so it's not like they were sitting around.
>
> Again, sorry for venting, but I would have to take a day off from work, not
> to even mention the gas in order to get service now. Any advice on where to
> pass my anger on so that Saturn knows how many customers they just lost??
> <gritting my teeth- erg>
>
> Again, sorry - my anger and venting are fresh right now and I'm pretty
> ****ed if you can't tell....

GM/Saturn doesn't own the dealerships. If the owner decides to close up
shop, they can. I'm assuming that GM/Saturn will award their franchise
rights to someone else who will actually run a dealership. In the
meantime, you can simply have your car serviced at a local mechanic.
Your car will not stop working because your local dealer went away.

That said, I suspect these "super dealers" see the writing on the wall
about Saturn's future within GM and are cutting bait. As of 2008,
Saturn won't even have it's own manufacturing anymore. Everything will
just be rebadged vehicles from other GM divisions.
Old June 12th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> GM/Saturn doesn't own the dealerships. If the owner decides to close up
> shop, they can. I'm assuming that GM/Saturn will award their franchise
> rights to someone else who will actually run a dealership. In the
> meantime, you can simply have your car serviced at a local mechanic. Your
> car will not stop working because your local dealer went away.

I know as far as maintanance (oil changes, etc) it's a minor inconvienance
as I can go someplace else, but as far as warranty issues, it's more than an
inconvienance. Speaking of which, if you have an extended warranty, is that
recorded at a corporate level and would any Saturn dealer know what my
warranty is, or would I have to provide proof/paperwork of that to another
dealer?

Anyway, further reasearh this morning found that they are a "super dealer"
and are also closing other dealerships on Long Island like thier Jaguar
dealership in Huntington and such. Sound like maybe they over extended
themselves and are consolodating. I just hope another GM dealer in the area
will pick up the Saturn personel who are out of a job at the end of the
month (as they said they are not being transferred, they were handed theier
walking papers) and maybe add the Saturn product to an existing dealership
(i.e. Chevy/Pontiac/Saturn). To me, a Pontiac dealership would be a good
hook-up as the Solstice and the Sky are basically the same and it would add
a little infusion to both lines....

Again - I'm sorry for venting before - just a little ****y this morning
about it and shooting from the hip...

Old June 13th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

There is also a slight chance that rge dealership (s) may be bought out by
another owner and the present owners dont want to tell anyone just yet. I
cant blame ya for being mad, however, its not Saturns fault, they dont own
the dealerships.

marx404

Old June 14th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

There aren't any Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg dealerships around anymore,
doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one given the chance.
Old June 14th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Yea, but those aren't still under warranty, are they?

All saying, to have a warranty issue and have to take it in will now be a
PITA, compared with how I felt at ease when I bought the Vue at a dealer
within 5 miles of home that it would be no big deal to take it in. What I
meant about us not buying one again is that when it's time, I'm not going
all the way in 50+ miles to Massaqequa to check out any new offerings. It's
what they mean when they say "Visit your local Saturn dealer"...Well, it
ain't local anymore, that's all....I still like the car, but now the lack of
a local dealer will deter me from buying another.

But who knows - The infrequancy of me buying new cars could mean I might not
even be living here in another 10 years....Where are the good Saturn dealers
in North Carolina (or Southern New York as it's becoming)?

Old July 1st 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

I think it's pretty obvious by now that Saturn will be GM's next
Oldsmobile.
http://www.newsday.com/business/loca...,6948253.story

GM definitely ruined a good thing. I bought my first 3 Saturns from
Hempstead. After being ripped-off by their service dept. a couple of
times I bought my '03 VUE from Saturn of Sunrise. I really liked that
service dept. I guess they were too honest - that place is now a VW
dealer. This past week I decided to try Massapequa's service dept.
Bigger crooks than Hempstead! I guess Hicksville will be Saturn's last
chance with me. One more screwin' and I'm outa here! :-(