Do You Canoe?

Old April 16th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Do You Canoe?

Hey! I saw one in a ... umm... catalog...
dangit, what is the name f it... in the Dr's office... c'mon.

It's right on the tips of my fingers..

oh, it's those guys that used to sell a lot of junk, still do but have a
bunch of stuff for Jeeps now.

(45 minutes later - washed the Jeep)

Still cant remember...
OH OH OH!

JC Whitney!

Yea, saw one in the Whitney catalog!

all better now.

"Seahag" > wrote in message
: Yeah I did, but we live on our boat at a tiny marina. The
: landlord would go nutz if I tried to store a trailer here.
: Heck, he threw away my potted irises (2- 8" pots) one year.
: A roof rack would be easy to put in our office when I don't
: need it.
:
: Seahag
:
:
: "JD Adams" > wrote in message
: oups.com...
: > Have you considered trailering it instead? You can get a
: > pretty decent
: > 12' flatbed trailer for about $300 these days, and with
: > the wooden bed,
: > you can easiliy configure it to haul just about anything.
: > I'm looking
: > at one that actually folds up and stores in a corner of
: > the garage.
: >
:
:

Old April 16th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

One what?

Seahag

Old April 17th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Seahag wrote:
> I need a roof rack so I can take our canoe camping this
> year. We haven't canoed since I got the TJ because I refuse
> to camp out of the Astro...it just doesn't look as kewl in
> the woods! Anyway, I'm leaning towards getting the Congo
> Cage. Anyone have experience with that or other solutions?
> Our canoe is 14' X 44" near as I can recall so I don't know
> if I'd need the utility crossbars as well...
>
> Seahag

I have put one the Olympic Generation II rack on my TJ with Yakima load
bars with the little canoe brackets. I can put the bars on with or
without the basket. I take the two far outside stringer lose and bolt
the bars down without the basket and flip over the 4 side eye bolts and
bolt the bars down with the basket. As far as noise goes it is not
really any more noisy with the canoe that it is with the rack and basket
(that means you can't hear anyway). I am working on a faring for the
whole thing to see if I can reduce the volume some. The spread is
enough to easily support the canoe and unless it rips of the rack which
is bolted to the windshield and the frame it is not going anywhere. My
canoe is long (16 foot Kevlar). I have transported it a couple hundred
miles one way on trips before with no mishaps or loosening of anything.
I love the Olympic rack design but don't must like the quality of the
materials. It started rusting almost immediatelly in some places. Wire
brush and rustoleum seems to have fixed the problem though.
Old April 17th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mitch Catrett wrote:
> Seahag wrote:
>
>> I need a roof rack so I can take our canoe camping this year. We
>> haven't canoed since I got the TJ because I refuse to camp out of the
>> Astro...it just doesn't look as kewl in the woods! Anyway, I'm
>> leaning towards getting the Congo Cage. Anyone have experience with
>> that or other solutions? Our canoe is 14' X 44" near as I can recall
>> so I don't know if I'd need the utility crossbars as well...
>>
>> Seahag
>>

> I have put one the Olympic Generation II rack on my TJ with Yakima load
> bars with the little canoe brackets. I can put the bars on with or
> without the basket. I take the two far outside stringer lose and bolt
> the bars down without the basket and flip over the 4 side eye bolts and
> bolt the bars down with the basket. As far as noise goes it is not
> really any more noisy with the canoe that it is with the rack and basket
> (that means you can't hear anyway). I am working on a faring for the
> whole thing to see if I can reduce the volume some. The spread is
> enough to easily support the canoe and unless it rips of the rack which
> is bolted to the windshield and the frame it is not going anywhere. My
> canoe is long (16 foot Kevlar). I have transported it a couple hundred
> miles one way on trips before with no mishaps or loosening of anything.
> I love the Olympic rack design but don't must like the quality of the
> materials. It started rusting almost immediatelly in some places. Wire
> brush and rustoleum seems to have fixed the problem though.

Oh yeah, you just though you got bad gas mileage before. The canoe
really makes it bad.
Old April 17th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I forget.

Oh yea, a roof rack

"Seahag" > wrote in message
: One what?
:
: Seahag
:
: "Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: > "Seahag" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > : Yeah I did, but we live on our boat at a tiny marina.
: > The
: > : landlord would go nutz if I tried to store a trailer
: > here.
: > : Heck, he threw away my potted irises (2- 8" pots) one
: > year.
: > : A roof rack would be easy to put in our office when I
: > don't
: > : need it.
: > :
: > : Seahag
: > :
: > :
: > : "JD Adams" > wrote in message
: > :
: > oups.com...
: > : > Have you considered trailering it instead? You can
: > get a
: > : > pretty decent
: > : > 12' flatbed trailer for about $300 these days, and
: > with
: > : > the wooden bed,
: > : > you can easiliy configure it to haul just about
: > anything.
: > : > I'm looking
: > : > at one that actually folds up and stores in a corner
: > of
: > : > the garage.
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Old April 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mitch Catrett" > wrote in message
. com...
: Mitch Catrett wrote:
:
: Oh yeah, you just though you got bad gas mileage before. The canoe
: really makes it bad.

When I put the roof rack on the Liberty, I lost 1.5 mpg.
I was really shocked.

Now, I get lousy mileage, but I expect it LOL

Old April 17th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mitch Catrett" > wrote:
> Mitch Catrett wrote:
>> Seahag wrote:
>>
>>> I need a roof rack so I can take our canoe camping this
>>> year. We haven't canoed since I got the TJ because I
>>> refuse to camp out of the Astro...it just doesn't look
>>> as kewl in the woods! Anyway, I'm leaning towards
>>> getting the Congo Cage. Anyone have experience with
>>> that or other solutions? Our canoe is 14' X 44" near as
>>> I can recall so I don't know if I'd need the utility
>>> crossbars as well...
>>>
>>> Seahag
>>>

>> I have put one the Olympic Generation II rack on my TJ
>> with Yakima load bars with the little canoe brackets. I
>> can put the bars on with or without the basket. I take
>> the two far outside stringer lose and bolt the bars down
>> without the basket and flip over the 4 side eye bolts and
>> bolt the bars down with the basket. As far as noise goes
>> it is not really any more noisy with the canoe that it is
>> with the rack and basket (that means you can't hear
>> anyway). I am working on a faring for the whole thing to
>> see if I can reduce the volume some. The spread is
>> enough to easily support the canoe and unless it rips of
>> the rack which is bolted to the windshield and the frame
>> it is not going anywhere. My canoe is long (16 foot
>> Kevlar). I have transported it a couple hundred miles
>> one way on trips before with no mishaps or loosening of
>> anything. I love the Olympic rack design but don't must
>> like the quality of the materials. It started rusting
>> almost immediatelly in some places. Wire brush and
>> rustoleum seems to have fixed the problem though.

> Oh yeah, you just though you got bad gas mileage before.
> The canoe really makes it bad.

I'm sorry to hear about that rack rusting, it was the other
system I was looking at. I like the Congo because it is a
bit lower than the others. I reckon I can afford the gas
once a year to go canoe/camping!

Seahag

Old April 17th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ah ha...they have lots...and lots...I think I'm sticking
with the Kargo Master Congo Cage...