Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast

Old January 27th 05, 03:40 PM
High Sierra

Default Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast

jbarts wrote:
> 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l engine
>
> I was changing my plugs and one broke. The "body" of the plug came out
> but the part that bottom part screws into the head is still in there.
>
> What can I do to remove this, I've tried my tap and die, I could not
> move it. Out of all the plugs it had the most rust. I've WD40 it and
> will let it sit overnight.
>
> Is there anything I can buy that will help me take this out?
>
> I'm guessing it might have to be drilled out.
>
> If I have to take it to a shop, what will something like this cost to
> fix?
>

> Please reply here, and if you need more info just ask, I'll be
> checking the thread hourly!
>

> Thanks!

I wonder why jbarts hasn't answered any of your questions. After all he said
he would check every hour.
Old January 27th 05, 04:14 PM
bob

"High Sierra" > wrote in message
> jbarts wrote:
> > 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l engine
> >
> > I was changing my plugs and one broke. The "body" of the plug came out
> > but the part that bottom part screws into the head is still in there.
> >
> > What can I do to remove this, I've tried my tap and die, I could not
> > move it. Out of all the plugs it had the most rust. I've WD40 it and
> > will let it sit overnight.
> >
> > Is there anything I can buy that will help me take this out?
> >
> > I'm guessing it might have to be drilled out.
> >
> > If I have to take it to a shop, what will something like this cost to
> > fix?
> >

> > Please reply here, and if you need more info just ask, I'll be
> > checking the thread hourly!
> >

> > Thanks!

> I wonder why jbarts hasn't answered any of your questions. After all he

said
> he would check every hour.

Kinda wondered that myself.

Old January 27th 05, 04:47 PM
James Goforth

I've been smearing a 'little' anti-sieze compound on the threads anytime
I'm changing plugs in an aluminum head, afraid of just such a problem.

Old January 27th 05, 04:52 PM

jbarts wrote:

> I was changing my plugs and one broke. The "body" of the plug came

out
> but the part that bottom part screws into the head is still in there.
>
> What can I do to remove this,

Buy a diesel. Problem solved ... forever.

Craig C.

Old January 27th 05, 06:16 PM
Dodge-Him

I anti seize the ones in my 01 318 ram (iron heads) even after 1.5 years
and only 35,000 km (21,700 miles) they were fairly hard to get out. This
summer they turned out nice (65,000 km or 40,000 miles) since they were
anti seized last time and again this time.
Dodgem

That said good penetrating oil and an easy out should get it. Use a
magnet to try and get any metal chips.