My 2007 Mustang GT 5spd feels slow

Old July 12th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default My 2007 Mustang GT 5spd feels slow

I just picked up my new 2007 GT 5spd convertible today and I feel
disappointed.

I have a 2002 GT 5spd convertible that I have yet to sell
(autotrader.com zipcode=07444) with 92Kmiles and when I kick the gas
the car jumps up even at lower RPM. My 2007 feels like there is a
servo between me and the throttle that is rolling on the gas over about
half a second - like turbo lag. At higher RPM (3.5k) its a lot better,
but it gives me the feeling I am driving an automatic sometimes.

My 2007 GT only has 30 miles on it so I am hoping it will break in.
Anyone have any similar feelings about 2005+ GT's? Any solutions that
will not void my warranty?

I have not tried any serious smoky burnouts yet, but I get the feeling
that its going to take more effort. It could be that the gears are
taller and the car is heavier, or the cam is throwing all the
horsepower above 3500 RPM where my old GT feels more like the old
5.0Liter.

I am going to post another thread about horsepower mods that might
help. I wonder if flashing the computer will help me get rid of that
Cadillac feeling.

Thanks for letting me vent, I will try some more tests tonight.

OH wait and its too freakin quiet. Unless I really get on the gas I
cant even here the exhaust!
And dont get me started about those damn headrests that block your
vision - and the shaker 500 has had a very difficult time playing the
first 3 MP3 CDs I just burned.

When my friend heard I was buying a new GT, he ordered a supercharger
for his 2002 GT coupe since I was going to have more horsepower than
him. I think he might not need it. In a few days we will do some tests
comparing the 07 and 02 GT and see what the deal is.

ok that's it.

-howy

Old July 12th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

> I just picked up my new 2007 GT 5spd convertible today and I feel
> disappointed. >-howy

UPDATE: I think I have a theory now. I noticed the 17inch rims on the
07 have a lot more rubber around them than my 02's 17 inch rims. So
the outer diameter of the 07's rubber is obviously grater than the 02.
I think this may account for the taller gear ratio feeling.

I want to break it in a bit before going ape sh-t but I did a few minor
break stands and burnouts and it is definitely a chore with the 07. To
do a break stand on the 02 I can get it going around 3000 RPM and
quickly get to 5000 RPM, at that point the tires are smoking freely and
I can take my heel off the break without the car moving too much.
Modulating the gas bounces between 4k and 6k RPM easily. With the 07
its all I can do to keep those poor things spinning!

I should put the 02's wheels on my 07 and see how it feels.

Unless I get 20% more HP after it breaks in I am going to need some HP
mods just to make it feel like my old 02.

-howy

Old July 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

wrote:
> I just picked up my new 2007 GT 5spd convertible today and I feel
> disappointed.
>
> I have a 2002 GT 5spd convertible that I have yet to sell
> (autotrader.com zipcode=07444) with 92Kmiles and when I kick the gas
> the car jumps up even at lower RPM. My 2007 feels like there is a
> servo between me and the throttle that is rolling on the gas over about
> half a second - like turbo lag. At higher RPM (3.5k) its a lot better,
> but it gives me the feeling I am driving an automatic sometimes.

There is a servo. It's drive by wire. There is a mod to improve that, but
can't remember what it is.

> I have not tried any serious smoky burnouts yet, but I get the feeling
> that its going to take more effort. It could be that the gears are
> taller and the car is heavier, or the cam is throwing all the
> horsepower above 3500 RPM where my old GT feels more like the old
> 5.0Liter.

It will take effort, becaue you have traction control. You can turn it off, but
it's not completly off. Ford's way of making it idiot proof. Some aftermarket
tuners allow you to turn it completly off.

> When my friend heard I was buying a new GT, he ordered a supercharger
> for his 2002 GT coupe since I was going to have more horsepower than
> him. I think he might not need it. In a few days we will do some tests
> comparing the 07 and 02 GT and see what the deal is.

To get any real power, you have to get past that wimpy factory tuning. Be sure
and do lots of homework before changing anything. For example, the mass air meter
has to maintain it's current position. If it's moved or tilted, the car won't run
right. Why? I have no idea. The days of shade tree mods are gone.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old July 12th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

>It will take effort, becaue you have traction control. You can turn it off, but
>it's not completly off. Ford's way of making it idiot proof. Some aftermarket
>tuners allow you to turn it completly off.

I can't totally turn it off? No way! If that's true I am gonna really
be ****ed! Big smoky 180's are a great way to relieve stress. I will
do more research but I stumbled across a throttle by wire reference
he

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html

I dunno if its worth 350 clams though.

I wonder if I get the right supercharger maybe the included chip
already includes throttle responsiveness and traction control mods. I
always figured there is probably a way to tell the computer to leave
traction control off by default every time you start the car.

-howy

Old July 12th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Trust me... A tune from Lidio is worth it! As his write up says, it
will definitely help with the throttle response. The other thing to
keep in mind is if you do plan on doing other mods you'll need a tuner
anyways! The X-Cal2 is a very handy little item... It should be
everyones first mod!

One item... I don't know if the X-Cals (or other tuners) are supporting
the 2007's yet....

Old July 12th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

John S. wrote:
> Trust me... A tune from Lidio is worth it! As his write up says, it
> will definitely help with the throttle response. The other thing to
> keep in mind is if you do plan on doing other mods you'll need a tuner
> anyways! The X-Cal2 is a very handy little item... It should be
> everyones first mod!

So is this device something that I can use to tune the car myself or is
it just a box that comes with a few preset programs? I am seriously
going to have to look into this. I would kinda like something that I
can hook to my laptop so I can see gobbs of information. I guess I am
going to have to start subscribing to a few mustang magazines.

> I don't know if the X-Cals are supporting the 2007's yet....

>From what I have seen and read it appears as though the 07 is the same

as the 06 except for a built-in plastic cover on the convertible top
and the availability of heated seats.

I just did a test drive with my 02 and 07 in the rain. My assumption
that the taller gear ratio was a result of taller tires was wrong. In
first gear the 02 does 3500 RPM at 25MPH while the 07 does about 3700
RPM at 25MPH ! So I was totally wrong there.

When I kick the gas on my 02 I hear that sudden gasp for air from the
(stock) air cleaner before the engine responds. The 07 rolls on the gas
gently and quietly like I was driving an automatic. Me and my friend
have 02's and we both noticed that if you stamp on it in lower RPM or
grab 2nd or 3rd in a panic the engine can misfire for about 300ms
(traction control off of course). I wonder if this throttle-lag design
is designed to prevent that from happening.

The 07's 17 inch tires are a much higher profile than the 17inchers on
the 02 and even in the rain they howl and squeal when they spin. I
think 18" rims might tighten things up a bit.

thanks for your input...
-howy

Old July 23rd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike

Throttle is electronic, (no linkage from gas pedal to engine), I installed
JLT CAI and throttle response is great now.
oups.com...