Transmission fluid leak by coolant line

Old November 26th 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Transmission fluid leak by coolant line

I have a 95 Nissan 240sx. There seems to be a pink oily substance by
the coolant line leading out from the rad. It only leaks if i were to
rev the engine. I was wondering could it be possible that the pink oily
substance be transmission fluid and would it come out from the rad? Any
suggestions on fixing it?

Old November 26th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 95 Nissan 240sx. There seems to be a pink oily substance by
> the coolant line leading out from the rad. It only leaks if i were to
> rev the engine. I was wondering could it be possible that the pink oily
> substance be transmission fluid and would it come out from the rad? Any
> suggestions on fixing it?

If you look up from the spot of fluid on the ground, do you see a line
that goes into the radiator? If so, then you probably just need to take a
wrench and tighten it up a little (1/4 turn), or if that doesn't work, and
it has an o-ring, then replace that.

Good Luck,

Fwed

Old November 27th 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

fweddybear wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have a 95 Nissan 240sx. There seems to be a pink oily substance by
> > the coolant line leading out from the rad. It only leaks if i were to
> > rev the engine. I was wondering could it be possible that the pink oily
> > substance be transmission fluid and would it come out from the rad? Any
> > suggestions on fixing it?

> If you look up from the spot of fluid on the ground, do you see a line
> that goes into the radiator? If so, then you probably just need to take a
> wrench and tighten it up a little (1/4 turn), or if that doesn't work, and
> it has an o-ring, then replace that.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Fwed

Or, since it't 10 years old, the line could be rusted out. If so you
might piece in a rubber hose and clamps.

Old November 28th 05, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yes, it is likely transmission fluid, since there are a pair of lines
running between the transmission and radiator - used for cooling the
fluid. The coupling at the radiator is sometimes no more than a rubber
hose and a couple clamps. They frequently leak, and just need
tightening up a bit. Worst case a few cents to replace the hoses.
Common and not a big or expensive deal at all. At only ten years old,
the metal parts shouldn't be rotten yet.

99 Intrepid front end noise Greg Houston Chrysler 13 October 20th 05 02:04 AM
Automatic transmission leak from ??? Jeff VW water cooled 3 October 13th 05 11:42 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
'96 Caravan, power steering line leak Snydley Dodge 0 September 17th 04 02:53 AM