how fast for whiplash?

Old December 5th 04, 05:08 AM
Bubbles

Default how fast for whiplash?

Today while at a stoplight the bugger behind me hit me when the light turned
green. I guess they didn't wait to see if I started moving. Anyway no damage
to the bumper so I just let it go. However it got me thinking of some
things:

1. How fast could the car have been going in that short period of time?
2. Are all rear bumpers generally rated for only 5mph? And what exactly does
that mean?
3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not have
any pain.

Thanks.

Old December 5th 04, 04:51 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 04:08:27 GMT, "Bubbles" > wrote:

>Today while at a stoplight the bugger behind me hit me when the light turned
>green. I guess they didn't wait to see if I started moving. Anyway no damage
>to the bumper so I just let it go. However it got me thinking of some
>things:
>
>1. How fast could the car have been going in that short period of time?

He could have been doing the top speed that car is capable of.
If you meant *should* instead of *could*, that's a good questuion, and
I wouldn't hazzard a guess without knowing a lot more. Although, "not
fast enough to hit you" would be appropriate.
>2. Are all rear bumpers generally rated for only 5mph? And what exactly does
>that mean?

The rating concerns how fast another vehicle can be going and hot the
bumper (or how fast you're going whan you hit something) without
causeing damage over a certain dollar amount.
And, no, not all bumpers are so rated. Most are, though, at a minimum.
>3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not have
>any pain.

Not very fast at all. Under 5 mph can do it.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 5th 04, 08:13 PM
It DRIVES me crazy 2

Bubbles wrote:

> 3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not

have
> any pain.

I don't think speed and bumper damage is the issue. How you feel for
the next few days is important.
Here is a quote from the National institute of neurological disorders:

Symptoms such as neck pain may be present directly after the injury
or*may be delayed for several days.* In addition to neck pain, other
symptoms may include headache, dizziness, abnormal sensations such as
burning or prickling (paresthesias), or shoulder or back pain. In
addition, some people experience psychological conditions such as
memory loss, concentration impairment, nervousness/irritability, sleep
disturbances, fatigue, or depression.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/index.htm

Peter

Old December 6th 04, 09:05 PM
Bill 2

"Bubbles" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Today while at a stoplight the bugger behind me hit me when the light

turned
> green. I guess they didn't wait to see if I started moving. Anyway no

damage
> to the bumper so I just let it go. However it got me thinking of some
> things:
>
> 1. How fast could the car have been going in that short period of time?
> 2. Are all rear bumpers generally rated for only 5mph? And what exactly

does
> that mean?
> 3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not have
> any pain.

Was your headrest adjusted properly?

Old December 6th 04, 09:05 PM
Bill 2

"Bubbles" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Today while at a stoplight the bugger behind me hit me when the light

turned
> green. I guess they didn't wait to see if I started moving. Anyway no

damage
> to the bumper so I just let it go. However it got me thinking of some
> things:
>
> 1. How fast could the car have been going in that short period of time?
> 2. Are all rear bumpers generally rated for only 5mph? And what exactly

does
> that mean?
> 3. How fast do you have to be hit for whiplash to occur? No I do not have
> any pain.

Was your headrest adjusted properly?

guaranteed fast money richard cornelius Audi 0 August 23rd 04 01:28 AM
fast cars James Corvette 7 August 14th 04 03:03 PM
1990 Dodge Spirit idling too fast Blackcloud14 Dodge 4 July 6th 04 01:31 AM