91 Cherokee calipers

Old September 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Melodious Thunk

Default 91 Cherokee calipers

What tool do I use to get the front calipers off? Hex wrenches don't
seem to fit & I've never done Cherokee brakes before. Thanks.
Old September 2nd 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Probably a Torx bit. Sears Craftsman, NAPA, Autozone, etc. will have them.

Earle

Old September 2nd 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Melodious Thunk

In article >,
"Earle Horton" > wrote:

> Probably a Torx bit. Sears Craftsman, NAPA, Autozone, etc. will have them.
>
> Earle

Thanks, do you know for sure? And what size? I see that there's other
Torx bolts on the sway bar etc. For the calipers, the bolt heads are
obscured by little rubber dirt protectors... that clearly don't work,
since the bolt heads were well-packed with dried mud. I think I got the
dirt out, but can't see 'em to be sure or even to figure out what kind
of heads they are!

Apparently, per a websearch, the Cherokee Sport used a completely
different caliper, mounted w/two 12mm bolts. So I'm asking about the '91
Cherokee Limited 4WD.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

I'm not sure, but Torx bolts are a favorite of Jeep. This is a recessed
thing that you stick the wrench into, correct? If you can get a good look
at it, and it is a Torx, it will be star-shaped.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Melodious Thunk

In article >,
"Earle Horton" > wrote:

> I'm not sure, but Torx bolts are a favorite of Jeep. This is a recessed
> thing that you stick the wrench into, correct? If you can get a good look
> at it, and it is a Torx, it will be star-shaped.
>
> Earle

Heh, if I could get a look at it, my head would be about 4 inches! Yes,
its recessed and covered with a rubber dust cap.

I'll buy a set of Torx drivers & see if one'll work. Thanks.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Be sure you get the kind that work like sockets. You won't be able to get
enough power with a screwdriver-type. I'm not familiar with that specific
bolt, but it's probably somewhere between t-25 and t-35. Let us know what it
is.

Carl

Old September 3rd 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message >,
"Melodious Thunk" wrote:

>In article >,
> "Earle Horton" > wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure, but Torx bolts are a favorite of Jeep. This is a recessed
>> thing that you stick the wrench into, correct? If you can get a good look
>> at it, and it is a Torx, it will be star-shaped.
>>
>> Earle

>Heh, if I could get a look at it, my head would be about 4 inches! Yes,
>its recessed and covered with a rubber dust cap.

You don't own a mirror?

Old September 3rd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

"bllsht" > wrote in message
> In message

>,
> "Melodious Thunk" wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Earle Horton" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure, but Torx bolts are a favorite of Jeep. This is a
> >> recessed thing that you stick the wrench into, correct? If you
> >> can get a good look at it, and it is a Torx, it will be star-shaped.
> >>
> >> Earle

> >Heh, if I could get a look at it, my head would be about 4 inches! Yes,
> >its recessed and covered with a rubber dust cap.

> You don't own a mirror?

Apparently not. I happened to replace the pads and rotors on my 1995
Wrangler today. 84,000 miles and hardly any wear at all, but I happened to
find it a good time to replace them. The Haynes picture shows Allen head
caliper mounting pins prior to 1990, and twelve point cap screws afterwards.
Haynes says to use a twelve point box end wrench on the later pins, but it
doesn't say which size. My 1995 has half inch head cap screws at this
location!

Another way to get a better look at things is to put the vehicle frame on
jack stands, remove the tires, and lower the axle you want to work on.

Earle

Old September 5th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Some use an allen key....

If you cut the steering hard to one side, you should be able to just
look at it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 5th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clay

Ask to see a set of replacement pins at the autoparts store. Get a
socket to fit.
If they're anything like the ones on girlfriendzilla's Cherokee, might
as well pick up a set... and some vice grips to remove the old ones.
Seems, vice grips are the tool of choice on these when the correct
socket is not in the tool box. Hers were boogered up enough the socket
wouldn't go on...