Carbs

Old November 19th 04, 02:14 PM
tricky

Default Carbs

Hello all

still trying to decide on my new engine rebuild.

I am allways looking to save a bit of money by thinking "out of the box".

So , I was thinking that a carb from a non vw should work on a vw. some
well, some not so.

Thinking scrapyard (junkyard) carbs, has anyone any knowledge on a
carb that world work well with a type 1 engine ? I was thinking - for
example a ford webber might give better performance than a pict xx and
from a scrappy would be at the right price :-)

Rich

Old November 19th 04, 03:05 PM
bug '59

Why not try to find a scrapyard carb from a beetle??
Or are those thoughts too simple?

Roger

"tricky" > schreef in bericht

Old November 19th 04, 03:52 PM
jjs

"tricky" > wrote in message

> I am allways looking to save a bit of money by thinking "out of the box".

People who think outside the box don't say that.

Old November 19th 04, 04:30 PM
John Willis

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:14:30 GMT, tricky >
scribbled this interesting note:

>Hello all
>I am allways looking to save a bit of money by thinking "out of the box".

You have a Beetle carburetor of some flavor? Don't want to buy a new
one and suffer sticker shock? You can save money by taking your old
one to a good carburetor shop and having it rebuilt there. You will
get everything you would get if you did it yourself, plus new throttle
shaft bushings, and depending on how much you want to spend, they
might even re-plate the linkages so even they look brand spanking new.
How much? From $100 to $150 and you supply the carburetor. It comes
back to you with a warranty that is worth the paper it is printed on
if you use a good shop to do the work.

As I've stated time and time again...you have to know which pennies to
pinch!

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old November 19th 04, 06:03 PM
tricky

I have a beetle carb -

I wondered if I might get a better carb without spending the 300 ukp
that the performance ones cost !

I could get a couple of performance heads for that money !

Old November 19th 04, 06:04 PM
tricky

jjs wrote:

> "tricky" > wrote in message
>

>>I am allways looking to save a bit of money by thinking "out of the box".

> People who think outside the box don't say that.

Sorry - just trying to put in words what I was trying to say :-)

Old November 22nd 04, 11:00 AM
tricky

Thanks for that.

seen a few on ebay, not so many in the uk though, but it is a good
avenue to bear in mind.

I did win the bidding on a ford webber off an Fiesta XR2 MkII for 99p so
it will have a play (if it turns up )and report back.

Rich