So what should be the penalty for speeding?

Old January 10th 05, 06:50 PM
Jim Yanik

(Matthew Russotto) wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>>Bill Smith > wrote in
m:

>>> Technically, the Constitution would have to be amended to remove the
>>> proscription against cruel and unusual punishment, but we don't seem
>>> to be paying much attention to that anyway.
>>>
>>> Bill Smith

>>People have redefined "cruel and unusual punishment" far from what it
>>used to be. Due to our "politically correct" drift.
>>
>>Look at other countries and you will see what "cruel and unusual"
>>truly is.

> US prisons are already cruel, but it's largely due to the other
> inmates rather than the prison officials. That is, doing even a short
> sentence in a maximum security prison is a sentence of torture, rape,
> and quite possibly death for someone who isn't in damn good shape.

The "cruelty" part is not executing those who deserve execution(criminals
with long histories of violent crime),and instead putting them in among
those expected to be released back into society.

It pollutes the prison pool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 10th 05, 07:01 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
John Lansford > wrote:
(Brent P) wrote:

>>> risk

>>> Which explains why there are more crashes on a highway than on my street
>>> where the limit is twenty, right?

>>Look at the values for interstates vs. surface streets.

>Apples vs oranges and you know it. There are a LOT of differences
>between surface streets and interstates besides the design and posted
>speed limits.
>
>>> This persistent notion that crashes are caused largely by different speeds
>>> is absurd.

>>No such claim was made.
>>
>>However, underposted speed limits have been shown to be safety negative.
>>

>A convenient whipping boy by those who wish to drive at unlimited
>speeds.

Then it'd be in your best interest to get rid of those _underposted_
limits and thus deprive them (or us) of their (our) whipping boy, no?
Old January 10th 05, 07:01 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 10th 05, 07:43 PM
Brent P

In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:

> The "cruelty" part is not executing those who deserve execution(criminals
> with long histories of violent crime),and instead putting them in among
> those expected to be released back into society.
>
> It pollutes the prison pool.

Furthermore, if prohibition of substances some people decide to consume
were ended, prisons would not be over crowded in the first place.

Old January 10th 05, 07:43 PM
Brent P

Old January 10th 05, 09:28 PM

Yeah, it's fun! I mowed down six people on the way in to work today;
hopefully I'll get a few more when I leave tonight.

Old January 10th 05, 09:28 PM