IRS should cancel tax credits on gas guzzler "hybrids"

Old July 21st 05, 10:03 PM

What the government should be eliminating is the tax credit for
the production of ethanol. Recent studies have proved that it
requires 24% to 54% more energy to produce ethanol than the
energy produced by ethanol. If adding alcohol to gasoline is
going to reduce pollution then the oil companies should be
allowed to make if from the methanol that they now must burn off
as a byproduct of oil production. Mental can be produced less
expensively and will not need an tax credit to do so.

mike hunt
Old July 22nd 05, 11:27 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Bill Putney wrote:

> Did anyone hear the report I heard the other day on the radio about some
> research being done (somewhere in S.A. I think) into using compressed
> air to power a vehicle.

Been done. Several years ago in France. Works quite well, too.

Old July 22nd 05, 11:30 AM
Joseph Oberlander

FanJet wrote:

> why isn't this available in the US - Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler,
> Anyone?

The Government won't allow it to be tested - they have this Suzuki
Samurai fake image in their heads despite it being tested extensively
in Europe and passing much tougher standards. They just say that
it's "too small" and know that it can't possibly be "safe". Idiots.

Old July 22nd 05, 11:37 AM
Joseph Oberlander

http://www.smartcar.com/

>>why isn't this available in the US - Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler,
>>Anyone?

> It's here.
> http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-news/25-int/8693/
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5217861/

ZAP is run by a bonch of self-serving morons who only
pretend to care about the environment. I know, I met
them years ago when I lived in Santa Rosa. They were
runnning around some of the dodgiest electric vehicle
deisngs that I'd ever seen all the while touting themselves
as "experts" because they refitted Escorts(mid 90's
at the time) and the like with a bunch of batteries
and some DIY electronics. $20K for 40 mile range? No thanks.

That's a 3-4K markup over the cost, typical of the company.
Why Smart itself doesn't take over and bury them I don't know.

Old July 23rd 05, 12:14 AM
Jim Chinnis

Joseph Oberlander > wrote in part:

>Bill Putney wrote:
>

>> Did anyone hear the report I heard the other day on the radio about some
>> research being done (somewhere in S.A. I think) into using compressed
>> air to power a vehicle.

>Been done. Several years ago in France. Works quite well, too.

Many energy storage methods have been tried over the years. In the
70s, engineers thought that new ceramic materials might make
flywheels capable of sufficient energy density. They were wrong.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
Old July 23rd 05, 03:06 AM
Bill Putney

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

> Bill Putney wrote:
>

>> Did anyone hear the report I heard the other day on the radio about
>> some research being done (somewhere in S.A. I think) into using
>> compressed air to power a vehicle.

> Been done. Several years ago in France. Works quite well, too.

I wonder what the $$/mile numbers work out to be on costs of compressed
air at the pressures and quantities needed.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 23rd 05, 06:36 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> Joseph Oberlander > wrote in part:
>

>>Bill Putney wrote:
>>

>>>Did anyone hear the report I heard the other day on the radio about some
>>>research being done (somewhere in S.A. I think) into using compressed
>>>air to power a vehicle.

>>Been done. Several years ago in France. Works quite well, too.

> Many energy storage methods have been tried over the years. In the
> 70s, engineers thought that new ceramic materials might make
> flywheels capable of sufficient energy density. They were wrong.

This is seeing use. It's cheaper to compress air with an electric
motor. There's no pollution, no fuel storage problems, no
chemicals(batteries) - it's just two huge air tanks and
a really huge version of the air engines you see in those
flying toy airplanes.

That they can go that far - it's impressive. Beats all
other technologies for urban use as well, since the
tanks could be refilled at a "station" in minutes instead
of hours like batteries.

Old July 23rd 05, 06:41 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Bill Putney wrote:

> Joseph Oberlander wrote:
>

>> Bill Putney wrote:
>>

>>> Did anyone hear the report I heard the other day on the radio about
>>> some research being done (somewhere in S.A. I think) into using
>>> compressed air to power a vehicle.

>> Been done. Several years ago in France. Works quite well, too.
>>

> I wonder what the $$/mile numbers work out to be on costs of compressed
> air at the pressures and quantities needed.

$1 USD per 62 miles. 200 mile range. 70mph top speed. It's
basically a stretched Smart Car.

Old July 24th 05, 01:08 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Jim Chinnis" > wrote in message
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in part:
>
> >At any rate, we already know what we need to do to the economy to
> >reduce dependence on foreign oil. We need to migrate the economy
> >to renewable power sources. And there are not many of them. Wind
> >power is really one of the few available that has enough energy to
> >run the economy. Nuclear is another if you can accept the waste problem
> >(most people can't) The rest of them, such as damming rivers, direct
> >photovoltiac conversion, geothermal, biofuel and so forth, either have
> >unwanted
> >side effects (fish kills) or are too terribly inefficient, or there

aren't
> >enough
> >of them, to provide sufficient energy.

> But none of those approaches has a chance while oil is cheap. So,
> yeah, we know what we need to do.

But, it isn't cheap, actually. It is just the costs are spread elsewhere.

Let's face it, the entire reason Bush invaded Iraq was oil. If the cost
of that war was entirely paid for by a federal tax on each barrel of
oil, you would see sudden readjustment in people thinking of oil being
"cheap" And while we are at it, might as well pay for all the
bribery I-mean-foreign-aid that we give Israel, Saudia Arabia, and
all the rest of the mid East countries to keep a lid on things over there.

One of these days, and I hope I'm alive to see it, the Mid East will run
out of oil. When that happens the rest of the developed worlds governments,
including China, are going to turn their back on that area of the globe.
We will just build a giant fence around it, and let the occupants go
free to murder each other over 'their homelands' Maybe once they
have had a few generations of total warfare against each other and
flattened most of their population centers, they might get sick of it -
or if they cannot learn, then they will just end up killing each other off
until nobody is left. Either way, problem solved.

Until then the rest of the world is stuck dumping money into that
snake pit.

I guess we ought at least to thank our lucky stars that so many of
the people over there are mentally ****ed in the head with all this
religion crapola - if the societies in the Mid East ever came to their
senses and banded together, the rest of us in the world would
be their slaves.

Ted

Old July 24th 05, 01:20 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Joseph Oberlander" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> FanJet wrote:
>
> > why isn't this available in the US - Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler,
> > Anyone?

> The Government won't allow it to be tested - they have this Suzuki
> Samurai fake image in their heads despite it being tested extensively
> in Europe and passing much tougher standards. They just say that
> it's "too small" and know that it can't possibly be "safe". Idiots.

Um, plenty of motorcycles out there allowed to be on the roads - the
government couldn't possibly consider a Samurai safer than a Kawasaki.

I think the real problem is that ZAP got their 10 year exclusive
distributorship
before fuel prices went through the roof and everybody suddenly fell out of
love
with the SUV. At the time Smart probably figured they would be lucky
to sell a thousand vehicles a year in the US. If Smart hadn't signed that
deal and was looking to come into the US market today, their expectations
would be far different and they would never have agreed to that deal.

Ted