Please help locate where the O2 sensor that has an error of PO430.

Old July 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
Cosmo

Default Please help locate where the O2 sensor that has an error of PO430.

The check engine light on my 1998 6 cyl SOHC Sport came on the other
day. I had it read at the local parts store and the error was PO430
catalyst system efficiency below threshold. Checking the Haynes manual
and searching the internet I cannot find the location of the bad O2. I
understand that bank 2 is on the discharge side of the converter but
what side of the truck is the O2 on. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Everett
Old July 22nd 05, 04:13 PM
Gerald Riggs

Code P0430 is for Bank 2 of the engine which I think is the driver side.
Look for the O2 sensor on the downstream side of that catalytic converter.
You could change it and see if the code persists. If the check engine light
does not come on again then you made it! However, the sensor may be good and
telling the truth ie that the converter is not doing the job anymore.
Expensive replacement me thinks. In that case I would be thinking of
alternatives like downstream O2 sensor simulators. What about your local
emissions testing? Do you need to pass - an important question.
Jerry

Old July 22nd 05, 11:05 PM
Cosmo

Jerry,
Thanks for the response. Lexington, KY dosen't have an emissions
testing requirement. I think I am going to try the O2 sensor before
getting the emissions tested by a local garge or maby I will pay big
bucks and let ford run diags on there equiptment. The main thing that
I need to know at this point is where the sensor is located, and you
have helped me with that problem. I lucked out a couple of years ago
replacing the upstream Sensor on the passenger side. Many thanks for
the information I will put it to good use.

Cosmo

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:13:58 -0700, "Gerald Riggs"
> wrote:

>Code P0430 is for Bank 2 of the engine which I think is the driver side.
>Look for the O2 sensor on the downstream side of that catalytic converter.
>You could change it and see if the code persists. If the check engine light
>does not come on again then you made it! However, the sensor may be good and
>telling the truth ie that the converter is not doing the job anymore.
>Expensive replacement me thinks. In that case I would be thinking of
>alternatives like downstream O2 sensor simulators. What about your local
>emissions testing? Do you need to pass - an important question.
>Jerry
.. .