transmission filling

Old July 18th 05, 06:28 AM
Seth Graham

Default transmission filling

What's the secret to transferring fluid from the bottle to the transmission
without turning myself into an environmental hazard? Muir says to have the
local garage do it, Bentley says to have the dealer do it. They wisely
suggest to only drain the transmission "if you are properly equipped to
refill it", but neglect to suggest what the proper equipment may be.

It's a bit late now but it'd be nice to know for future reference.

I managed to top off by sticking some hose to the bottle and cramming myself
under the car, trying to find room under there to get the bottle above the
fill hole so I could squeeze fluid out, but about midway through the hose
popped off and did a hell of a number to my shirt. There's gotta be an easier
way. :P

Old July 18th 05, 09:29 AM
P.J. Berg

Seth Graham wrote:
> What's the secret to transferring fluid from the bottle to the transmission
> without turning myself into an environmental hazard? Muir says to have the
> local garage do it, Bentley says to have the dealer do it. They wisely
> suggest to only drain the transmission "if you are properly equipped to
> refill it", but neglect to suggest what the proper equipment may be.
>
> It's a bit late now but it'd be nice to know for future reference.
>
> I managed to top off by sticking some hose to the bottle and cramming myself
> under the car, trying to find room under there to get the bottle above the
> fill hole so I could squeeze fluid out, but about midway through the hose
> popped off and did a hell of a number to my shirt. There's gotta be an easier
> way. :P

Go to the local chemist and buy the largest syringe they have, or go to
your local flaps and buy their filler which works like a syringe albeit
much larger.

J.
Old July 18th 05, 01:50 PM
Jan

Seth Graham wrote:
> What's the secret to transferring fluid from the bottle to the transmission
> without turning myself into an environmental hazard? Muir says to have the
> local garage do it, Bentley says to have the dealer do it. They wisely
> suggest to only drain the transmission "if you are properly equipped to
> refill it", but neglect to suggest what the proper equipment may be.
>
> It's a bit late now but it'd be nice to know for future reference.
>
> I managed to top off by sticking some hose to the bottle and cramming myself
> under the car, trying to find room under there to get the bottle above the
> fill hole so I could squeeze fluid out, but about midway through the hose
> popped off and did a hell of a number to my shirt. There's gotta be an easier
> way. :P

The pro shops use a pump that has a lenght of hose, and a "hook" type
rigid end piece which they slip into the fill hole. And then pump away.

Jan
Old July 18th 05, 05:00 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-07-18, P.J. Berg > wrote:
> Seth Graham wrote:
>
> Go to the local chemist and buy the largest syringe they have, or go to
> your local flaps and buy their filler which works like a syringe albeit
> much larger.

Maybe my flaps isn't as "f" as I thought, when I was buying the gear oil
I looked around and they didn't have anything except the tools for grease
packing. I would have assumed a pump of some sort would be used, but the
mysterious absence of tools and buck-passing in the manuals made me curious.

They did have a full aisle of those spinning hubcaps though, so if I ever
need to gussy up my ride I'm in good hands.

Old July 18th 05, 05:01 PM
bug '59

I use a plastic bottle (about 1 liter) available in any car shop. Before
opening the bottle you pull at the cap and a long flexible 'neck' comes out,
open the bottle and put the 'neck' in the filler gap and squeese *gently*.
You probably have them in the US/UK too but i don't know the proper name for
it...:~) But you still have to crawl under the car to do it...

Roger

"Seth Graham" > schreef in bericht

Old July 18th 05, 08:18 PM
JeffRens

I use a suction gun - pump thingy I got at my local parts store
(Auto Zone or Pep Boys I think) ... essentially a big syringe
like other folks are discussing. It looks like one of those large
caulk guns with a hand tire air pump handle. It has a clear
plastic tube on the end that flexes easily into the filler hole

Old July 18th 05, 08:38 PM
Wes Pearson

Seth Graham wrote:
> What's the secret to transferring fluid from the bottle to the transmission
> without turning myself into an environmental hazard? Muir says to have the
> local garage do it, Bentley says to have the dealer do it. They wisely
> suggest to only drain the transmission "if you are properly equipped to
> refill it", but neglect to suggest what the proper equipment may be.
>
> It's a bit late now but it'd be nice to know for future reference.
>
> I managed to top off by sticking some hose to the bottle and cramming myself
> under the car, trying to find room under there to get the bottle above the
> fill hole so I could squeeze fluid out, but about midway through the hose
> popped off and did a hell of a number to my shirt. There's gotta be an easier
> way. :P

Auto Zone sells a small pump that screws onto the plastic bottle top.
It's like a big version of a hand lotion pump. Not really fast but works
well. Only cost $5 or so. It comes with a long plastic tube to insert
into the transmission. It has a clip included to hold the fill tube in
the filler hole.
Old July 19th 05, 05:14 PM
TerryB

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:00:15 GMT, Seth Graham > wrote:
>
> >On 2005-07-18, P.J. Berg > wrote:
> >> Seth Graham wrote:
> >>
> >> Go to the local chemist and buy the largest syringe they have, or go to
> >> your local flaps and buy their filler which works like a syringe albeit
> >> much larger.

> >Maybe my flaps isn't as "f" as I thought, when I was buying the gear oil
> >I looked around and they didn't have anything except the tools for grease
> >packing. I would have assumed a pump of some sort would be used, but the
> >mysterious absence of tools and buck-passing in the manuals made me curious.
> >
> >They did have a full aisle of those spinning hubcaps though, so if I ever
> >need to gussy up my ride I'm in good hands.

> I just stuck a piece of plastic hose on the oil bottle's nozzle.
> Otherwise a turkey baster might work.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

I have a tube that will screw onto the bottle and it has an 18 inch
long clear tube that you can put into the tranny. It also has a twist
feature that will close the bottle and stop the fluid flow. It works
with a couple different sizes of bottles as it has an adapter.

Old July 21st 05, 04:05 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
Seth Graham > wrote:
>What's the secret to transferring fluid from the bottle to the transmission
>without turning myself into an environmental hazard? Muir says to have the
>local garage do it, Bentley says to have the dealer do it. They wisely
>suggest to only drain the transmission "if you are properly equipped to
>refill it", but neglect to suggest what the proper equipment may be.
>
>It's a bit late now but it'd be nice to know for future reference.

I have a 4 feet 1/2inch hose that I sitck into the tranny. The hose
gets routed outside via the wheel arch and a funnel is atached to
its end.

You have to stop and check every time to avoid overfiling and spiling,
but works.

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.