Alfa 166 Petrol tank problems

Old June 16th 05, 08:00 PM
PJB

Default Alfa 166 Petrol tank problems

I have a yr 2000 Alfa 166 which after filling 2 weeks ago with a full tank
of petrol started to leak and got worse and worse over the next few days.
I took it into the agents here in New Zealand and they said it had split,
and have order me another from Italy at a cost of NZ$1500 + labour.
There was a recall of yr 2004 Alfa 166 and Renault cars last year.

Has anyone else with an Alfa experienced the same problem.

Peter

Old June 16th 05, 09:01 PM
yoyo

I had no problems and I never heard of this kind of problem in Holland.Then
again I don't do my maintenance at an official Alfadealer so maybe I missed
the recall.
Arjan

Old June 17th 05, 06:27 AM
PJB

It's on their website. Search using google, I found it that way.

But it's not to do with cracking, only seals were leaking so they replaced
the tank.

Since then I have found out by the company that plastic welded it that it
looks like a stone caused the damage. Which really mans the car should have
a metal guard protecting it from stones off the front wheels.

ll.nl...

Old July 17th 05, 09:55 AM
PJB

Just to let you know I got the petrol tank repaired and the repairer said it
had been damaged by a stone. I have had a new tank flown in from Italy and
it is now installed and all is well. The reason for the new tank was my
insurance company wouldn't insure the vehicle with a repaired tank.
So I got them to pay for the new one.

Old July 17th 05, 12:55 PM
Catman

PJB wrote:

> Just to let you know I got the petrol tank repaired and the repairer said
> it
> had been damaged by a stone. I have had a new tank flown in from Italy
> and it is now installed and all is well. The reason for the new tank was
> my insurance company wouldn't insure the vehicle with a repaired tank.
> So I got them to pay for the new one.

More fool them, then really.....

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk