Replacing Compressor 93 VW Cabrolet

Old July 4th 05, 10:26 PM
B. Chamberlin

Default Replacing Compressor 93 VW Cabrolet

A few months ago I backed into my wifes VW Carbriolet and messed it
up pretty good. We had the body work done and the car is running, but
I cracked off the hose that runs to the evaporator. I seriously doubt
there is anyway to repair it so I'm thinking I need a new compressor
or my wife will never drive the thing in the summer. Is this a hard
job? I know I'll have to take it somewhere later to be charged, but I
should be able to at least replace the unit for now, right? I've done
an alternator and starter... nothing like this though.

--Brian

Old July 7th 05, 01:38 AM
B. Chamberlin

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:26:29 -0400, B. Chamberlin
> wrote:

>A few months ago I backed into my wifes VW Carbriolet and messed it
>up pretty good. We had the body work done and the car is running, but
>I cracked off the hose that runs to the evaporator. I seriously doubt
>there is anyway to repair it so I'm thinking I need a new compressor
>or my wife will never drive the thing in the summer. Is this a hard
>job? I know I'll have to take it somewhere later to be charged, but I
>should be able to at least replace the unit for now, right? I've done
>an alternator and starter... nothing like this though.
>
>--Brian

No comments? Anyone?

Old July 7th 05, 02:03 AM
Woodchuck

It's not a hard job to do. Just remove the Alt first and then the
compressor. I can do it in about 2 hours... so double that for the DIYer.

Old July 7th 05, 02:55 AM
Dave

B. Chamberlin > wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:26:29 -0400, B. Chamberlin
> wrote:
>

>>A few months ago I backed into my wifes VW Carbriolet and messed it
>>up pretty good. We had the body work done and the car is running, but
>>I cracked off the hose that runs to the evaporator. I seriously doubt
>>there is anyway to repair it so I'm thinking I need a new compressor
>>or my wife will never drive the thing in the summer. Is this a hard
>>job? I know I'll have to take it somewhere later to be charged, but I
>>should be able to at least replace the unit for now, right? I've done
>>an alternator and starter... nothing like this though.
>>
>>--Brian

>No comments? Anyone?

Not the easiest job without a lift.
Old July 7th 05, 07:38 AM
Harry

"B. Chamberlin" > wrote

> thinking I need a new compressor

You may have meant ' another' compressor. Personally, unless money is no
object, I would just get a used one. They are even on VWs in pull it
yourself yards, probably 3 or 4 in the yard I visit occasionally. They want
like 10 or 15, 20 bucks for a compressor if you take it out yourself , so,
that is where I would go if you want to save money. You will need O rings
too if you do it yourself, imo.

You need a *new* receiver dryer too since the system has been open for an
extended period. Is this R12 oe R134, I forget the year it changed? You
really could do a classic retrofit with the new receiver drying and the
proper oil for the compressor by having the system completely apart - as one
example option using PAG oil in the compressor if it needs a retrofit or if
you want to do one. Other opinions will differ.

Harry