Rear tow hook and trailer hitch

Old May 31st 05, 12:27 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Default Rear tow hook and trailer hitch

I just installed a mopar hitch, only 40 more than a hidden hitch, and
includes the wire connector holder, and can't get my rear tow hook to mount
with it. Do they make a tow hook that works with the hitch, or do I have to
get one that plugs in the 2 inch receiver? I realy like the frame mount tow
hook, because it is so much stronger. BTW it is a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 31st 05, 12:35 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Patrick,
Then use the frame mounted hook:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/gas/hook1.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 31st 05, 01:31 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Bill,

I don't think that one will work. Here is are a couple pictures of how the
hitch is mounted on the drivers side.
http://www.cityofvarnell.com/patrick/trailer%20hitch/ . Any idea how I
could reuse the factory tow hook? Any more sugestions?

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 31st 05, 01:34 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Also in case you are interested, here are other jeep pics.
http://www.cityofvarnell.com/patrick/ . The yellow one is the one I traded
for the Rubicon Unlimited.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 31st 05, 01:49 AM
Carl Saiyed

Pull those two bolts out on the driver's side of hitch, slap an aftermarket
hook on from your local 4x4 shop.

Carl

Old May 31st 05, 02:04 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Patrick,
I would drill another hole and use a quarter inch spacer to be even
with hitch bracket bolt. I wouldn't use the hitch site, as the
temptation is just a little too much to yank it right off of there,
unless it is triangulate through the gas tank area like a Real Jeep.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 31st 05, 02:04 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Carl,

If I use the one Bill sent a link to, the strap will slip off due to the
change of angle. We don't have any local 4x4 shops, but I will see if I can
find one that isn't too far to go to. If any one knows of one near me, I
live in north georgia, just south of Chattanooga TN.

Patrick
Ô¿Ô

Old May 31st 05, 02:08 AM
Carl Saiyed

Can you mount it up-side down? You could also use the either hitch bolt to
mount the top of the hook, and then drill a new hole in the hitch to
accodate the lower bolt(s) and an angle you feel would be more suitable. I
have two spare chrome two-bolt hooks, though shipping would probably cost
more than the hook is worth.

Carl

Old May 31st 05, 02:29 AM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

I think I might adapt the factory rear tow hook
http://www.cityofvarnell.com/patrick...%20tow%20hook/

Old May 31st 05, 02:40 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Fair warning.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

"over-run" brakes? Michael White Jeep 15 June 7th 05 07:56 PM
Adding a trailer brake controller to a Touareg 911pdq VW water cooled 2 January 27th 05 01:30 PM
found Jeep Trailer CND M101 1/4 ton hrncir Jeep 0 December 1st 04 08:20 PM