HELP Neon Clutch

Old January 9th 05, 04:32 AM
Joe

$425 CND to drop the tranny in a front drive car? That's fair. It's a pain.
Maybe I'm used to getting paid too much, but I hate misery, and that's not
much money.

oups.com...

Old January 10th 05, 04:28 PM
Steve

mike wrote:
> That is the kicker. I know the problem, and what has to be done.
> I can not justify paying $425CND + taxes for them to drop my tranny to
> take a half inch piece of wire and a washer out of the bell housing.

So take off the access plate and fish it out yourself. Even if you leave
it alone, odds are it'll just sit in the bottom of the bellhousing and
never interfere with a thing. The odds of it happening to get kicked up
while the starter is cranking the engine (the only time it could do any
real harm) are next to nil.
Old January 10th 05, 04:28 PM
Steve

Old January 12th 05, 01:26 PM
LameBMX

mike wrote:

> As per previous postings this week, I have a 95 neon with a piece of
> the broken clutch cable stuck somewhere within the bell housing.
> Called arround to get quotes on dropping the tranny to get this piece
> out so that I can connect the new cable and get the gf back on the road
> so I don't have to drive her to work.
> The only two places that will touch the transmission is the Dealer and
> Mr. Transmissions.
> What is the big deal with transmissions?
> If there was not snow on the ground, I would be dropping the
> transmission out of the car, right where it sits in the driveway.
> One of my neighbors ones a garage, but said that I could use the
> equipment in it, but I was on my own to work on it.
>
> Still don't see what the issue is. I would figure that messing with the
> timing belt or anything inside the actual engine would be more of a
> risk then droping a transmission.
>
> Mike
> mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

well its not the dropping thats the problem ... its the catching a very
heavy and expensive part at that

id do it though
Old January 12th 05, 01:30 PM
LameBMX

Steve wrote:

> mike wrote:
>
>> That is the kicker. I know the problem, and what has to be done.
>> I can not justify paying $425CND + taxes for them to drop my tranny to
>> take a half inch piece of wire and a washer out of the bell housing.
>>

> So take off the access plate and fish it out yourself. Even if you leave
> it alone, odds are it'll just sit in the bottom of the bellhousing and
> never interfere with a thing. The odds of it happening to get kicked up
> while the starter is cranking the engine (the only time it could do any
> real harm) are next to nil.

remind me to never let you near a car of mine ... thats just disgusting
.... would you like it if i slashed your tires ... you could drive to
work on the rim

just hope your kid dont need to get to a hospitol pronto
Old January 12th 05, 08:51 PM
mike

Well... after $1350 with in labor and parts, the car is ready.
As I had figured, the clutch was finished.
This is getting very close to being a new car. I think the only thing
left to replace machanically is the block and heads. ($500 for complete
engine assembly with 100,000km on it)

As for the thought of running the car with the broken cable piece in
the bottom of the bell housing, um... Isn't that kind of like leaving
tools inside someone after heart surgery?

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 12th 05, 09:47 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, mike wrote:

> As for the thought of running the car with the broken cable piece in the
> bottom of the bell housing, um... Isn't that kind of like leaving tools
> inside someone after heart surgery?

No, it isn't at all.
Do not attempt to analogise that which you do not comprehend.

DS
Old January 14th 05, 06:33 PM
mike

Maybe it is just me, but I would consider the transmission (incuding
clutch), to be a major component of the car.
Leaving a half inch piece of cable and a washer that is over an inch
across, bouncing around in the bellhousing would be as bad as leaving
tools inside someone. It is going to cause damage, and something is
going to happen that is going to cause a major problem.
Mike

Old January 14th 05, 09:05 PM
Steve

mike wrote:
> Maybe it is just me, but I would consider the transmission (incuding
> clutch), to be a major component of the car.
> Leaving a half inch piece of cable and a washer that is over an inch
> across, bouncing around in the bellhousing would be as bad as leaving
> tools inside someone. It is going to cause damage, and something is
> going to happen that is going to cause a major problem.
> Mike

How is it going to cause a major problem? What is it going to harm? How
is it even going to get up off the bottom of the bellhousing? If there
were precision exposed parts inside the bellhousing, I'd agree. There
aren't, though.
Old January 14th 05, 09:06 PM
Steve

LameBMX wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> mike wrote:
>>
>>> That is the kicker. I know the problem, and what has to be done.
>>> I can not justify paying $425CND + taxes for them to drop my tranny to
>>> take a half inch piece of wire and a washer out of the bell housing.
>>>

>> So take off the access plate and fish it out yourself. Even if you
>> leave it alone, odds are it'll just sit in the bottom of the
>> bellhousing and never interfere with a thing. The odds of it happening
>> to get kicked up while the starter is cranking the engine (the only
>> time it could do any real harm) are next to nil.

> remind me to never let you near a car of mine ... thats just disgusting
> ... would you like it if i slashed your tires ... you could drive to
> work on the rim
>
> just hope your kid dont need to get to a hospitol pronto

You don't get out much, do you?

Have you ever even LOOKED inside a bellhousing?

95 Neon Clutch cable issues mike Dodge 0 January 4th 05 08:38 PM
95 Neon Clutch, cable snap? Michael Chrysler 6 January 3rd 05 06:08 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM