KRETP Extremist Increase Highway Danger

Old December 19th 04, 04:10 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:24:11 GMT,
> (Brent P) wrote:

>>> The prescription was for me to hit the gas and go around the car in
>>> front of me when I'm in the right lane and there's a LLB/DUCKLING on
>>> my left rear.

>>Other thread branches aren't my concern here. However, since you want
>>to bring that into it, the LLB/DUCKLING on your left rear is ANOTHER
>>DRIVER LIKE YOU. Crusing in the left lane at his chosen speed.

> That is absolutely false. Ducklings catch you and slow down.

> They don't cruse at _their_ speed, ever. They cruise at _someone else's_
> speed.

How do they catch you,then???
And what are you doing while this is starting?

PAY attention!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old December 19th 04, 04:47 PM
James C. Reeves

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:34:34 -0500, "James C. Reeves"
> >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Probably right. But its the idea that there are those here that want me
>>> emulate that behavoir that is so nuts. If I were to do the wild
>>> accelerations
>>> necessary to shake an LLB/Duckling on my left rear, I'd look just like
>>> that
>>> guy, other than the quick return to the right lane which of course I
>>> wouldn't
>>> do.
>>>

>>Sudden speed changes and/or sudden changes in direction can create
>>confusion
>>for some people. I wouldn't do that either. Curious, why not move right
>>before they get so close?

> Well, because if I'm then in the right lane, they come up and sit on my
> left
> rear. This limits my ability to react to deer (saw _2_ different groups
> of
> deer on the way home last night, BTW - they're numerous like rabbits
> here...)
> plus eventually gets me trapped behind the next slowest car ahead of me,
> which
> the duckling will often slow down to match the speed of as well.
>
> Its a losing strategy if one wants to get to one's destination sooner
> rather
> than later.
>
> DPH

I see. That sure is odd behavior. Haven't witnessed that too often myself
(thankfully).

Old December 19th 04, 04:47 PM
James C. Reeves

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:34:34 -0500, "James C. Reeves"
> >
> wrote:

. ..

Old December 19th 04, 04:49 PM
Dave Head

:

>>>Not really.
>>>If he does slow down to match my speed, then there's more room to pass
>>>the car in front, and I don't need to be as abrupt.

>> You're traveling along in the right lane and a duckling comes up and
>> slows down on your left rear and sits.

>While you do nothing to prevent it

Like what? Jump out in the "passsing lane" and _BLOCK_ him? People know when
they're being screwed with, and it ****es them off. That's a really bad idea.

>and wait until you come up on a vehicle
>in your lane THEN decide you can't change lanes to pass because of the duck
>you have allowed to hang on you.

Look, you can't go jumping out in front if every car that's approaching you in
the left lane and hold them up, and ****ing them off because you actively
blocked them, in case one might be a duck.

I stay left, and it actively blocks them from becoming a duck on my left rear,
and it _doesn't_ **** 'em off. They either duckling on the right, which isn't
a problem 'cuz I soon scrape them off, or they go on around. Either way, I
don't **** 'em off with an offensive manuever.

>> That has no effect at all on
>> the room to pass the car in front of you. If you were 100 yards
>> behind the car in front of you that you're catching slowly, then
>> you're still gonna be 100 yards behind it and closing that space when
>> you discover you're ability to change lanes is blocked.

>Sounds like you don't "look ahead,think ahead,act ahead",but instead wait
>until it's too late.

I do, and I don't wait 'til its too late. I just set up the situation so its
not a problem for anyone. Traffic flows smoothly. Nobody gets held up.

>I'd call this a typical clueless driver.

You're the one without a clue, as you don't realize your method has a higher
risk of getting shot or some other adverse road-rage induced action. You can't
be jumping out in front of people to block them without ****ing them off.

DPH

Old December 19th 04, 04:49 PM
Dave Head

:

Old December 19th 04, 04:54 PM
Dave Head

:

:

om:

>>>It's rare that that happens to me. I usually spot someone approaching
>>>and have plenty of time to change lanes and pass if I decide to.I'm
>>>not mindlessly cruising,I keep aware of what's going on around me.

>> So you're going to jump out and deliberately block someone who is
>> approaching you in the left lane and going faster

>You said the "creep up on you". That's not going "faster",nor is it
>PASSING.

That is absolutely false. If they can creep up, then they're going faster. If
they weren't going faster, they couldn't catch me. I'm doing 62, they're
probably doing 64 or 65. That's faster.

>> than you are.
>> That's worse than just _being_ in the left lane.
>>
>> For one thing, it's worse 'cuz its way more likely to **** that person
>> off big-time. People know when they're being messed with. It
>> happened to me on I70 between Dayton and the Ohio line in 1996 - guy
>> slowly approaching a semi, but still 100 yards or so back, popped into
>> the left lane as I approaced.

>Because you were doing your LLBing.

What? That's nuts. He did it 'cuz he knew someone was about to pass him, and
he didn't want anyone passing him. When I passed him anyway, it ****ed him
off. That was his mindset. Prolly a real criminal. Dunno.

>> I thought that was so brazenly rude
>> that I immediately passed him on the right

>Initiating the road-rage.

Tough ****. If he's going to drive left, he has to expect being passed on the
right. NO, that wasn't the initiation, either. The initiation was his jumping
in the left lane to block me. He performed an offensive, rude action, and was
the 1st one to do it.

>> at a fairly good speed
>> differential. He began tailgating and then came up on my right just
>> as soon as we got past the truck and TRIED TO RUN ME OFF THE ROAD!!!
>> An obvious road-rage situation was initiated by someone popping into
>> the left lane in front of a car approaching at a faster rate.
>>
>> And you want me to be doing this, instead of simply staying in the
>> left lane (being a LLB) and letting people go by on the right?

I notice no response here.

>> Deliberately pop out
>> and block a specific person that may or may not decide to do something
>> about it, with a wide range of options from simply passing me on the
>> right, to maybe blowing my head off with a .357?

>They might want to do that because you're LLBing.Or because they don't like
>your car,or whatever reason.

They're going to want to do it more if I jump out and specifically block just
them. That's a personal offense.

DPH

Old December 19th 04, 04:54 PM
Dave Head

:

:

Old December 19th 04, 05:02 PM
Dave Head

:

>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:24:11 GMT,
>> (Brent P) wrote:

>>>Other thread branches aren't my concern here. However, since you want
>>>to bring that into it, the LLB/DUCKLING on your left rear is ANOTHER
>>>DRIVER LIKE YOU. Crusing in the left lane at his chosen speed.

>> That is absolutely false. Ducklings catch you and slow down.

>> They don't cruse at _their_ speed, ever. They cruise at _someone else's_
>> speed.

>How do they catch you,then???

When there's no one else around, they _of course_ have to proceed at their own
speed. You have to use some basic logic here. But in the presence of other
cars, they drive the speed of the other car.

>And what are you doing while this is starting?

I'm watching them approach, and not assuming they're going to slow down to my
speed.

If I did assume they were going to slow down to my speed, I'd get in the left
lane.

Oh, wait - that's what I do anyway - I just don't jump out in front of the
other driver and **** him off, 'cuz I'm already there...

>PAY attention!

Try and find some logic in what you're doing without resorting to a mantra, or
some law that was repealed 35 years ago...

DPH
Old December 19th 04, 05:02 PM
Dave Head

:

Old December 19th 04, 05:06 PM
Dave Head

:

>> On 19 Dec 2004 02:56:35 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>>
>>>Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
>>>news >>>

>>>Or pay attention to traffic around him.

>> I do, but it doesn't help a bit unless I want to actively **** off
>> someone by jumping out in front of them and blocking them. They don't
>> react badly to simply having to pass on the right, but they do get
>> ****ed when people jump out to block them.

>If they were just hanging on and not passing you,then you would not be
>blocking them.If you paid attention,you could change lanes before they got
>close enough to be PO'd.

I do. Its just that I did it at the beginning of the drive. Now you've got
the right idea - a car in the left lane that hasn't changed lanes within sight
doesn't **** people off. That's just what I've been saying. I just do it
initially, people are _not_ ****ed off, and the whole thing runs a lot more
smoothly.

DPH