Hubcaps on front axle? Spinners

Old May 13th 05, 03:39 AM
Treeline

Default Hubcaps on front axle? Spinners

Front axle does not have hubcaps thanks to some clumsy mechanics doing a tire
rotation. They are plastic hubcaps, from a mature minivan.

Now I noticed I can find inexpensive plastic replacements. The front axle is
sealed in the Voyager minivan. But still, maybe they provide some protection
against the elements? On the other hand, they probably interfere a tad with the
cooling of the wheel, but not my much. I was very suprised to see how hot a
front wheel can get from only what, 2 miles of gentle city driving. Very amazed
how hot the brakes can get. And these were brand new brakes and all, so they
should be working right.

But the real question, why not get some spinner hubcaps. The $10 kind, not the
$500 kind. Okay, it's a high possibility they will get stolen if I go into the
big city but still, it's something for a plain vanilla minivan, unless I start
getting noticed too much, by botth the thieves and the authorities.

What do you all think?

Old May 13th 05, 11:05 AM
damnnickname

Take ridlin

Old May 13th 05, 01:36 PM
N8N

Treeline wrote:
> Front axle does not have hubcaps thanks to some clumsy mechanics

doing a tire
> rotation. They are plastic hubcaps, from a mature minivan.
>
> Now I noticed I can find inexpensive plastic replacements. The front

axle is
> sealed in the Voyager minivan. But still, maybe they provide some

protection
> against the elements? On the other hand, they probably interfere a

tad with the
> cooling of the wheel, but not my much. I was very suprised to see how

hot a
> front wheel can get from only what, 2 miles of gentle city driving.

Very amazed
> how hot the brakes can get. And these were brand new brakes and all,

so they
> should be working right.
>
> But the real question, why not get some spinner hubcaps. The $10

kind, not the
> $500 kind. Okay, it's a high possibility they will get stolen if I go

into the
> big city but still, it's something for a plain vanilla minivan,

unless I start
> getting noticed too much, by botth the thieves and the authorities.
>
> What do you all think?

Personally I would just go to your local auto recycler and get some
decent used stock hubcaps, and/or some alloys if you really feel the
need to upgrade. IMHO the only thing that looks stupider than "real"
spinners are fake spinner hubcaps.

There's really not much brake cooling effect from the wheels in any
case, unless you are running alloys with directional vanes which direct
the air to the brakes. If you really want to cool the brakes you
should investigate ducting some air from the front of the car into the
rotor backing plates. However, we're talking about a minivan
here...??????

nate

Old May 13th 05, 06:52 PM
TNKEV

"Treeline" > wrote in message
> Front axle does not have hubcaps thanks to some clumsy mechanics doing a

tire
> rotation. They are plastic hubcaps, from a mature minivan.
>
> Now I noticed I can find inexpensive plastic replacements. The front axle

is
> sealed in the Voyager minivan. But still, maybe they provide some

protection
> against the elements? On the other hand, they probably interfere a tad

with the
> cooling of the wheel, but not my much. I was very suprised to see how hot

> front wheel can get from only what, 2 miles of gentle city driving. Very

amazed
> how hot the brakes can get. And these were brand new brakes and all, so

they
> should be working right.
>
> But the real question, why not get some spinner hubcaps. The $10 kind, not

the
> $500 kind. Okay, it's a high possibility they will get stolen if I go into

the
> big city but still, it's something for a plain vanilla minivan, unless I

start
> getting noticed too much, by botth the thieves and the authorities.
>
> What do you all think?

I doubt anyone would steal spinner hub caps, they look too stupid and if
they did steal them they would be doing you a favor!

Old May 14th 05, 04:16 AM
Treeline

"TNKEV" > wrote in message
> But the real question, why not get some spinner hubcaps. The $10 kind, not
> the $500 kind. Okay, it's a high possibility they will get stolen if I go

into
> the big city but still, it's something for a plain vanilla minivan, unless I
> start getting noticed too much, by botth the thieves and the authorities.
> >
> > What do you all think?
> >

> I doubt anyone would steal spinner hub caps, they look too stupid and if
> they did steal them they would be doing you a favor

Now why don't you tell me what you really think...

I forgot how stupid they look when one spins and the other does not.

I guess I'll have to get the ones that light up instead... just kidding... I
think.

Old May 14th 05, 05:09 PM
TNKEV

"Treeline" > wrote in message
> "TNKEV" > wrote in message
> > But the real question, why not get some spinner hubcaps. The $10 kind,

not
> > the $500 kind. Okay, it's a high possibility they will get stolen if I

go
> into
> > the big city but still, it's something for a plain vanilla minivan,

unless I
> > start getting noticed too much, by botth the thieves and the

authorities.

> > > What do you all think?
> > >

> > I doubt anyone would steal spinner hub caps, they look too stupid and if
> > they did steal them they would be doing you a favor

> Now why don't you tell me what you really think...
>
> I forgot how stupid they look when one spins and the other does not.
>
> I guess I'll have to get the ones that light up instead... just kidding...

> think.

Well if you are going to get the light up hub caps you may as well get
lighted valve stem caps and lighted windsheild squirters!;-)

I don't mean to be feciesish it only comes natural!

Old May 15th 05, 03:40 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 14 May 2005, TNKEV wrote:

> Well if you are going to get the light up hub caps you may as well get
> lighted valve stem caps and lighted windsheild squirters!;-)

Ah, you mean "loser beams".

> I don't mean to be feciesish it only comes natural!

"facetious" (unless you're in Canada or a British Commonwealth country, in
which case it's facaetious, or you're full of ****, in which case it's
fecetious.)
Old May 16th 05, 05:49 PM
TNKEV