2001 Intrips SE Windows Fogging

Old February 12th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Default 2001 Intepid SE Windows Fogging

Deke wrote:
> "Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
>> I will check the condensate drain as Deke suggested, but had not been
>> experiencing any issues over the summer when the AC ran regularly and

> there
>> was always a puddle of water under the front passenger side of the

> vehicle.
> (snip)
>
> That puddle of water is the first indication that the drain is clogged. You
> had issues this summer.
> Your drain is clogged. Unclog it, and no puddle, no window
> condensation.
>
> Deke

Deke - I think you mis-read where he said "had not been experiencing any
issues over the summer when the AC ran regularly and there was always a
puddle of water under the front passenger side of the vehicle." I read
it wrong the first time too. He's saying that the drain drains onto the
ground ("...under the front passenger side of the vehicle") just like
it's supposed to.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 12th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> ...It wouldn't hurt to do a recalibration on the system.
> With the vehicle at room temperature (Garage) 10°-27° C. (50° to 80° F.),
> Disconnect the battery
>
> for ten minutes to erase DTCs.
>
> 2. Reconnect the battery and start the vehicle, this will initiate the HVAC
> system calibration.
>
> Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.
>
> 3. Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or DTCs
> are gone.

He's got the base model, Glenn - i.e., manual temp controls, no ATC.
Reset won't affect a manual system, or will it?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 13th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > ...It wouldn't hurt to do a recalibration on the system.
> > With the vehicle at room temperature (Garage) 10°-27° C. (50° to 80°

F.),
> > Disconnect the battery
> >
> > for ten minutes to erase DTCs.
> >
> > 2. Reconnect the battery and start the vehicle, this will initiate the

HVAC
> > system calibration.
> >
> > Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.
> >
> > 3. Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or

DTCs
> > are gone.

> He's got the base model, Glenn - i.e., manual temp controls, no ATC.
> Reset won't affect a manual system, or will it?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

ATC or manual. If the OP has access to a scan tool, the BCM may want to be
scanned for any door problems

Old February 13th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > ...It wouldn't hurt to do a recalibration on the system.
> > With the vehicle at room temperature (Garage) 10°-27° C. (50° to 80°

F.),
> > Disconnect the battery
> >
> > for ten minutes to erase DTCs.
> >
> > 2. Reconnect the battery and start the vehicle, this will initiate the

HVAC
> > system calibration.
> >
> > Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.
> >
> > 3. Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or

DTCs
> > are gone.

> He's got the base model, Glenn - i.e., manual temp controls, no ATC.
> Reset won't affect a manual system, or will it?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Both the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) and the Manual Temperature
Control (MTC) systems are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). Both
systems can be diagnosed by the scan tool or the vehicles own control head
display. There are three DTC tables. The ATC and MTC DTC table contain
faults that are common to both the ATC and the MTC system. The same
diagnosis can be used for both systems. The DTC's cover operation of the
climate control unit actuators, doors, evaporator temperature sensor,
ambient temperature sensor and the A/C refrigerant system. The MTC DTC table
covers Fault Codes that are for the MTC Control Head and wiring and are not
used on an ATC system. The ATC DTC table has DTC's for ATC Head
Communications, In-Car Temperature Sensor and Sun Sensor which are not in a
MTC system.

Some conditions of low battery voltage or extremely cold weather can
generate a DTC for the climate control system actuators, evaporator probe,
in-car temperature sensor (ATC), or ambient temperature sensor, even in a
properly operating system.

ATC AND MTC DTC's CODE DESCRIPTION
23 BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR FEEDBACK FAILURE
24 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR FEEDBACK FAILURE
25 AMBIENT SENSOR
31 RECIRCULATION DOOR ACTUATOR STALL FAILURE
32 BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR STALL FAILURE
33 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR STALL FAILURE
35 EVAPORATOR SENSOR FAILURE
37 BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO BATTERY
38 BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO GROUND
39 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO BATTERY
40 MODE DOOR ACTUATOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO GROUND
41 RECIRCULATION DOOR ACTUATOR OUPUT SHORTED TO BATTERY
42 RECIRCULATION DOOR ACTUATOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO GROUND
43 COMMON DOOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO BATTERY
44 COMMON DOOR OUTPUT SHORTED TO GROUND
51 SYSTEM VOLTAGE TOO LOW FOR DOOR CALIBRATION

MTC DTC's CODE DESCRIPTION
45 A/C CONTROL BLEND DOOR INPUT OPEN OR SHORTED TO GROUND
46 A/C CONTROL BLEND DOOR SHORTED TO BATTERY
47 A/C CONTROL - A/C SWITCH FAILURE
48 A/C CONTROL MODE DOOR INPUT SHORTED TO GROUND
49 A/C CONTROL MODE DOOR INPUT SHORTED TO BATTERY
50 A/C CONTROL ELECTRIC BACKLITE (EBL) SWITCH FAILURE

Old February 13th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default 2001 Intrips SE Windows Fogging

Also check that you have the Fresh air setting on. If you have it on
recirculate this will cause your windows to fog up.

Old February 13th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Why does a pool of water under the passenger side where the drain is located
indicate a problem? Every car I have owned that was equipped with AC did
this ...

I agree it is worth checking, but not till it warms up some since my garage
is not heated and temperatures here have been brutal.

Thanks to all for their thoughts.

Bob

Old February 13th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Glenn,

Thanks. I've saved the info you supplied for future reference. By the way,
I do not own a scan tool and have never had this vehicle to the dealer for
any service. I did just replace the battery (it was 6 years old) and had
the old one out for ten or more minutes before getting the new one
installed, and this had no affect on the situation.

So I've got two things to check: 1) A/C drain and 2) recirculation door.

As to there being moisture in the passenger compartment, I do have the heavy
floor mats in there that catch the snow and water and they do retain some
moisture, but I have these in other Chrysler vehicles and used similar
models in my previous car, which was a 1996 LH and had no problems. I've
got a couple things to look at when the weather improves. If that does not
work then it will go to the dealer to be scanned!

Thanks to all for the replies.

Bob

. ..

Old February 13th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

As mentioned previously, I have the base (no frills) SE model. The
recirculate setting on the control knob is only available at the two top
most positions (when using the dashboard vents), which I never use in the
winter (only use the bottom tow settings - windshield defrost and floor heat
in winter). But, as Glenn pointed out, it may not be working properly and
in fact be stuck in the recirculate position ... so must be examined to
eliminate that possibility. Thanks.

PS I used to have the auto climate control system on my previous vehicle, a
1996 Eagle Vision TSI. That system always worked flawlessly... It
certainly outperformed this system on the 2001 Intrepid SE and also the one
in my 1999 Town & Country Limited van too!

Bob

Old February 13th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bob Shuman wrote:
> Why does a pool of water under the passenger side where the drain is located
> indicate a problem? Every car I have owned that was equipped with AC did
> this ...

I think he mis-read your post, Bob. When you said a pool of water
*under* the passenger side (i.e., on the garage floor), I believe he was
thinking a pool of water *in* the passenger side (i.e., wet carpet).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 13th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
damnnickname

When you replaced the battery....did you replace it outside the calibration
window of 50-80 degrees? or did you do it outside in the cold weather?
which would mean it was not calibrated correctly. Did this problem occur
after the battery was replaced or was it possibly caused by a faulty
battery?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

--