Minimum Lift Question

Old December 22nd 04, 03:08 PM
Fred Garvin

Default Minimum Lift Question

I have a 2004 Rubicon that I want to put 33" MTRs on. I would like to know
what the MINIMUM lift (in height) I can get so that the tires won't rub,
stick out and I can still use my stock rims. Your comments and suggestion
are appreciated.

Thanks!

-Fred

Old December 22nd 04, 03:28 PM
twaldron

I can say this:

My brother and I both have 2003 Rubis, both with 4.5" RE lifts. He has
33s and I have 35s. Mine will rub occasionally offroad, nothing serious,
but nonetheless, they slightly rub. His does not. Looks great too! My
opinion is that you need 4" with 33s if you offroad.

Fred Garvin wrote:

> I have a 2004 Rubicon that I want to put 33" MTRs on. I would like to know
> what the MINIMUM lift (in height) I can get so that the tires won't rub,
> stick out and I can still use my stock rims. Your comments and suggestion
> are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Fred

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old December 22nd 04, 04:11 PM
Jerry Bransford

You cannot put 33x12.50 on the factory wheels, they will rub because
those wheels have too much backspacing. 3" of suspension lift is the
bare minimum with a 1" body lift a good idea for a little more clearance
to insure the 33" tires won't rub.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old December 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Mike Romain

Just out of curiosity, can the stock rims take the 33x10.5's or the
super traction 33x9.5's and not rub?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
twaldron

Missed the part about the factory wheels. While I know there are some
people doing it with 33s on the stock Rubi wheels, I can't imagine they
are not having contact problems with the 5" backspacing. I really wanted
to keep my Rubi's factory wheels, but did not find this feasible. You
really need another inch of backspacing to be free from contact. Rubi
wheels are still bringing in some serious cash, so you might look at
Ebaying yours, and buy the wheels of your choice in the correct
configuration at even money.

Old December 22nd 04, 04:53 PM
Jerry Bransford

Yep, 33x10.50 tires are not a problem for factory wheels, the problem is
with the added width of the 33x12.50 tire.

Jerry

Old December 22nd 04, 05:58 PM
Jeff Strickland

POINT OF ORDER
Don't you really mean an inch LESS of backspacing. The stock rims have 5",
wouldn't you need only 4" to avoid rubbing.

Old December 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
twaldron

Yes, Jeff! That is what I meant, thanks for clarifying.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:00 PM
Steve

For your 16" wheels, the best MTR size for minimal lift (~2") is
235/85R16, which is roughly equivalent to 32x9.50. If your rims are 8"
wide you might get away with 285/75R16 (about 33x11.50). Extending bump
stops can limit rubbing with less lift.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old December 23rd 04, 03:40 PM
CJ5 on 35's

I am running wheel spacers on my cj5, work great, make sure they are
torqued right,