'83 Chrysler 5th Ave bucking

Old May 14th 05, 03:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 13 May 2005 wrote:

> Much appreciated, as were the other tips, none of which she had a chance
> to try. Sue asked me to monitor the group for answers while she's away
> for the weekend (sans the 5th Avenue). Finding another 5th Avenue owner
> to swap air cleaners with could be a problem, but we'll look around.

www.car-part.com , searchable used auto parts clear across North America.
The item you'd be after is listed as "Computer Box - Engine".

The other poster is right; the Carter BBD carburetor on this '83 is
generally reliable and durable. However, it *is* a feedback carburetor
with a duty cycle solenoid that can stick and cause driveability problems
(e.g. bucking). That doesn't necessarily mean it needs replacement, but it
may need service. Also, your '83 would have an early type of Oxygen sensor
that ought to be replaced every 30,000 miles. Most people don't, though,
and the sensor finally gives up the ghost and causes driveability faults.
The O2 sensor can be found threaded into the front of the driver's side
exhaust manifold. Looks like an oversized spark plug. There's one wire
leading to it. If you unplug this wire at the connector and the bucking
stops...!
Old May 17th 05, 05:54 PM
Sue

Thank You all so very much for your input.I never expected so many
car back on the road now. I will be trying your suggestions and will
report back when the problem is (hopefully) solved. Once again, thanks
to all...

Old June 8th 05, 02:54 AM
Sue

Well, mystery solved. Even the mechanic was bafffled for awhile, idled
fine but bucked once you drove it around for awhile. It was the brakes.
I'll try to expain what he said. Once the brakes got heated up and you
stepped on the brakes the brake hose was collapsing and when you took
your foot off the brake they weren't totally disengaging , almost like
driving with your emergency brake on. Make sense? Sure glad I didn't
get that new carburator! Thanks again for all your input. You made me
keep looking for someone who knew what they were doing instead of just
giving up and I'm glad I did.