Herbie !!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 6th 05, 04:17 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Remco" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I guess we're both agreeing but saying it differently:
>
> I think after people figure out what's involved maintaining a bug
> properly, they'll back off pretty quickly unless they are seriously
> interested.
> It takes a lot of research, acquiring skills, busted knuckels and
> actual work to just know one's ass from a hole in the ground so maybe
> all this work will be the filter of attracting the right people.

unfortunately folks that can just drop a chunk of change on a but can/will
do it on a "whim"(to borrow your statement) *before* they know what is
necessary to keep em....then they usually send em out to mechanics that
don't know much specifically pertaining to the old vw's, and then the same
scenario i described....i guess it *can* be a win situation for the long
time enthusiasts if they find one of the whim buyers that get in over their
head and it costs them more than they thought and they "cut their losses"
and sell cheap...but usually doesn't happen....i can point you to some LONG
time listings online for bugs bought, then sent out to be "fixed up" then
the owners want to sell them for what they have in them....unfortunately
ACVW's are a "labor of love" and not profit...unless you are a shop
owner.....we enthusiasts dump 10-15k into one and countless hours(thousands
sometimes) to get a car the way we want it....then its worth 5-6k in the
"market".....but for a short while if you have a herbie clone it may be a
profitable situation...poeple will take advantage of this and pull the parts
cars out of their yard, throw a krylon herbie paintjob on and make
money...but in the long run it hurts us....again, my opinion...

> I stand corrected there, although have never seen one of them Red/White
> Torinos here in new England. Did we have a rush on old school Torinos?
> I've been goint to cruise nights for years all over CT and never seen
> one with the starsky/hutch paint scheme. Maybe that's a local appeal or
> lack thereof.

hehe....us rednecks do love our cars....do you see many "General Lee"
chargers in your area? i do...LOL....and the S&H torinos are around here
too....bunch-a-rednecks...