Careless Driving in NJ

Old March 16th 05, 01:19 PM
Larry Bud

s wrote:
> Hi,
> 15 days back I got a careless driving ticket. I am pleading not

guilty.
> however I am not sure how i should be representing my case?

He probably bumped it up because it was the end of the month.

> what do you people think, how should i represent this case in the
> court. I have a fine on $87 and 2 points.
> will appreciate any suggestions on this.

Only 2 points for careless driving, or you already have 2 pts on your
license?

Old March 16th 05, 02:55 PM
Larry Bud

Scott in the ArkLaTex wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2005 08:54:16 -0800, "s" > wrote:
>
> >Thats pretty much, I know i was not driving carelessly

> Sure you were. You admitted you have absolutely no idea how fast you
> were going. Sounds pretty careless to me...
>
> That cop gave you a break. No doubt "careless driving" is a lesser
> offense than speeding in that jurisdiction.

Interesting. I always thought careless was a worse offense. It is
here in Michigan, 4 pts. Just under reckless.

Old March 16th 05, 02:55 PM
The Office Jet

I didn't think about it being the end of the month. He definitely may
have been trying to meet some sort of qouta and used you to do so.

Old March 16th 05, 03:42 PM

Larry Bud wrote:
> s wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 15 days back I got a careless driving ticket. I am pleading not

> guilty.
> > however I am not sure how i should be representing my case?

> He probably bumped it up because it was the end of the month.
>

> > what do you people think, how should i represent this case in the
> > court. I have a fine on $87 and 2 points.
> > will appreciate any suggestions on this.

> Only 2 points for careless driving, or you already have 2 pts on your
> license?

yeah it was end on the month, 26 feb. no idon't have any other points.

Old March 16th 05, 03:44 PM

also, listening to all of you it seems i made a wrong decision to plead
not guilty!? what happens if i don't go to the court now. and also if i
get it postponed to fit in that 'statue of limitation' period?
All i know is the way i drove - didnot endanger person/property, i was
not careless (

Old March 16th 05, 03:50 PM

also, listening to all of you it seems i should not - plead not guilty.
what happens if i don't show up in the court ? or if i get the date
postponed to get into that 'sataue of limitation' period?
all i know, i did not drive in a way that would have endangered a
person/property. (

Old March 16th 05, 03:51 PM
John F. Carr

In article .com>,
Larry Bud > wrote:

>> That cop gave you a break. No doubt "careless driving" is a lesser
>> offense than speeding in that jurisdiction.

>Interesting. I always thought careless was a worse offense. It is
>here in Michigan, 4 pts. Just under reckless.

Depends on the state. Most states with point systems treat
speeding 20-30 over like reckless or drunk driving.

In New Jersey careless driving is a two point offense, the same
as speeding 1-14 over the limit, running a red light or failing
to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Speeding 15 over is a
four point offense. (The same as "improper passing of frozen
dessert truck.")

--
John Carr )
Old March 16th 05, 03:55 PM
Cory Dunkle

"The Office Jet" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is the careless driving fine more than it would be for speeding? How
> many points is it in comparison? it might be worth accepting the
> careless driving charge if it's less on both counts.

Careless driving: $85 (min $52, max $202) + 2 points

OP mentioned $87 fine, I've seen $85 fine on paper (back of ticket). That
fine may be typical, to encourage people to not fight it.

Speeding, over limit -
1-9: $85 + 2 points
10-14: $95 + 2 points
15-19: $105 + 4 points
20-24: $200 + 4 points
mo fine determined by judge + 5 points + possible suspension of license

If I recall correctly the OP stated he was not doing more than 10 over the
limit, which means most liekly he would fall in the 1-9 range (both with
probability and factoring in that most speedometers read a couple MPH high).
Same fine, and I believe same points

Old March 16th 05, 03:59 PM
Big Bill

On 16 Mar 2005 06:55:56 -0800, "The Office Jet"
> wrote:

>I didn't think about it being the end of the month. He definitely may
>have been trying to meet some sort of qouta and used you to do so.

If so, the OP volunteered.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 16th 05, 05:55 PM

Big Bill wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2005 06:55:56 -0800, "The Office Jet"
> > wrote:
>
> >I didn't think about it being the end of the month. He definitely

may
> >have been trying to meet some sort of qouta and used you to do so.

> If so, the OP volunteered.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

hi all,
any further advices for me.
for now i am just going to the court and saying that i wasn't driving
carelessly!??