Help: 2003 Civic losing acceleration power

Old March 9th 05, 03:07 AM
michaelschmichael

Default Help: 2003 Civic losing acceleration power

Admittedly, I don't know much about cars. I drive a manual 2003 Civic
LX, about 33,000 miles. I have gotten the oil changed regularly, but I
have failed to do some of the other required maintainence because of a
lack of money.

Lately, I notice that I don't have as much power when accelerating. My
tachometer climbs more than it usually does, though I still can keep it
under 4000, generally. I notice that even though I'm careful not to
slip the clutch much, I get a louder engine noise than usual when
accelerating.

To put it in my very imprisice language, the car behaves almost as if I
am driving with my foot a couple of inches on the clutch. It's as if
not all the power is being transmitted.

Does that make sense, and is there someone with a suggestion? Thanks
for any info you may provide!

Old March 9th 05, 04:40 AM
Pars

A good way to check if the clutch is slipping is to cruise in 2nd, at round
5000rpm, abruptly let off the gas and floor it immediately after... If the
clutch is bad, you should notice an rpm surge without any noticeable
acceleration.

Pars.

ups.com...

Old March 9th 05, 01:22 PM
tony kujawa

TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, YOU ARE UNDER WARRANTY. Why is this so hard for
people to understand.

Old March 9th 05, 09:11 PM
Bucky

Pars (remove) wrote:
> A good way to check if the clutch is slipping is to cruise in 2nd, at

round
> 5000rpm, abruptly let off the gas and floor it immediately after...

If the
> clutch is bad, you should notice an rpm surge without any noticeable
> acceleration.

This may be a dumb question, but if the clutch is slipping, wouldn't it
start to smell burnt?