Trivia questions - just for fun.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lhead

Default Trivia questions - just for fun.

I'll post the answers soon.

1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
engine?

2. What was the second?

3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
delivered from the factory?

Have fun.

Old August 22nd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Lhead wrote:

> I'll post the answers soon.
>
> 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> engine?

Who knows- that's kinda lost in the mists of antiquity. I know
Duesenberg used a "modern by modern standards" DOHC 32-valve inline 8
(in normally aspirated and supercharged versions) in the 1920s. But I
doubt it was the first. There was an awful lot of experimentation with
engine configurations (OHC, L-head, T-head, OHV, etc.) in the 19-teens
and 20s before things settled in on the OHV cam-in-block setup in the
50s thru late 70s.

> 2. What was the second?

No idea.

> 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> delivered from the factory?

No idea.
Old August 22nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Lhead wrote:
> 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> delivered from the factory?

My father had a Ford Pinto that had about a dozen carburetors until
the dealer could find one that actually worked right.

Then it turned out it was also delivered from the factory with a cracked
block as well.
--scott
Old August 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Irwin Corey

"Lhead" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll post the answers soon.
>
> 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> engine?
>
> 2. What was the second?
>
> 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> delivered from the factory?
>
> Have fun.

1. Pontiac LeMans

2. Ford Pinto

3. TriPower GTO

Old August 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lhead

Irwin Corey wrote:
> "Lhead" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'll post the answers soon.
> >
> > 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> > engine?
> >
> > 2. What was the second?
> >
> > 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> > delivered from the factory?
> >
> > Have fun.
> >

> 1. Pontiac LeMans
>
> 2. Ford Pinto
>
> 3. TriPower GTO

I'm not going to post my answers just yet, but as to the LeMans, Pinto
and GTO - no, no, and no.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
willy

Irwin Corey wrote:
> "Lhead" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'll post the answers soon.
> >
> > 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> > engine?
> >
> > 2. What was the second?
> >
> > 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> > delivered from the factory?
> >
> > Have fun.
> >

> 1. Pontiac LeMans
>
> 2. Ford Pinto
>
> 3. TriPower GTO

Believe the 53 Corvette, striaght 6 had three carbs.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tiger Pilot

"Lhead" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll post the answers soon.
>
> 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> engine?

I think it was Scott in about 1906.

> 2. What was the second?

No clue

> 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> delivered from the factory?

Shelby Cobra 4 Webers.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Irwin Corey wrote:
> "Lhead" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I'll post the answers soon.
>>
>>1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
>>engine?
>>
>>2. What was the second?
>>
>>3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
>>delivered from the factory?
>>
>>Have fun.
>>

> 1. Pontiac LeMans

Impossible- both the Duesenberg and the Willys OHC engines predated that
by 40 and 5 years, respectively.

> 2. Ford Pinto

See above.

> 3. TriPower GTO

That's 3, but that's only a tie with the 440 and 340 "six-pack" Dodge
and "six barrel" Plymouths. And I think Chevy had a tiple-deuce setup at
some point too.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_21_]

Plymouth roadrunners had the "6-pack" set up, three two barrel carbs,
synced to each other to open in stages as throttle compressed. They
were a bear to keep sync'ed, but when they were, they were awesome.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 23rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mike[_6_]

Steve wrote:
> Lhead wrote:
> > 1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> > engine?

> Who knows- that's kinda lost in the mists of antiquity. I know
> Duesenberg used a "modern by modern standards" DOHC 32-valve inline 8
> (in normally aspirated and supercharged versions) in the 1920s. But I
> doubt it was the first. There was an awful lot of experimentation with
> engine configurations (OHC, L-head, T-head, OHV, etc.) in the 19-teens
> and 20s before things settled in on the OHV cam-in-block setup in the
> 50s thru late 70s.

The 1910 Jackson used a shaft driven OHC, so might be a 1st for that,
rather than using a chain, which was a pre 1900 maker. Wilks? Motor
Company or something

> > 3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> > delivered from the factory?

Miller had an eight carb motor for racecars, but I don't know if that
counts as 'Factory'

**
mike
**