Questions about 2005 Corvette

Old July 17th 05, 05:18 AM

Default Questions about 2005 Corvette

Hey everyone,
I currently own a Nissan 350z and thinking about selling it to get a
2005 Vette. I have some questions for y'all vette owners. Has anyone
here bought a 2005 Vette? Any personal reviews? Any major issues
already with the 1st year's model?

Pricing: Has anyone been able to get the Vette for under MSRP? I've
been hearing about how hot this Vette is , so wondering if one could
buy under MSRP. Wish i had the money to get the Z6 coming in September
,i believe. Also, the GM discount doesn't apply to this vehicle. Now,
does the GM Employee discount have any hidden costs or tricks that we
don't know about or is it really an honest price. Anything to be weary
or careful about this GM discount?

I've never been fond of American cars since my previous experience back
in the early 90s have been horrible. This would be my first American
car since my old Buick Skylark a while back. Any other good sites or
forums on the new Vette?

Thanks everyone.
Darren

Old July 17th 05, 12:26 PM
Leonard Lehew

On 16 Jul 2005 21:18:02 -0700, wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>I currently own a Nissan 350z and thinking about selling it to get a
>2005 Vette. I have some questions for y'all vette owners. Has anyone
>here bought a 2005 Vette?

I have a 2005 that was delivered in March of this year.
>Any personal reviews? Any major issues
>already with the 1st year's model?

I've had no problems at all. It's my favorite of all the cars that I
have owned.

>Pricing: Has anyone been able to get the Vette for under MSRP?

Many people have been able to find prices at least somewhat below
MSRP. It seems to vary from one area to the next.
>I've
>been hearing about how hot this Vette is , so wondering if one could
>buy under MSRP. Wish i had the money to get the Z6 coming in September
>,i believe. Also, the GM discount doesn't apply to this vehicle. Now,
>does the GM Employee discount have any hidden costs or tricks that we
>don't know about or is it really an honest price. Anything to be weary
>or careful about this GM discount?
>
>I've never been fond of American cars since my previous experience back
>in the early 90s have been horrible. This would be my first American
>car since my old Buick Skylark a while back. Any other good sites or
>forums on the new Vette?

The best source of information that I have found is "Corvette Forum"
http://www.corvetteforum.com.

Check out the C6 forum. It's very active, and there's a bunch of
information about 2005s.

Old July 17th 05, 02:32 PM
Vandervecken

Darren -

I took delivery of an F55 6-speed C6 convertible about two and a half
months ago. It's one of the most completely satisfying cars I've ever
owned. The C6 is so good it's difficult to convey the car's real quality.

The car has a fabulous overall driving dynamic. The combination of RIGHT
NOW responses, pavement-ripping power, bountiful traction, comfortable
ride, high mechanical and tactile feedback to the driver, fine control
balance and harmony, nice sounds, and fine seating and control placement
deliver a wonderful driving experience. The car feels right in a way
very few cars do. Yet you can use the thing in day-to-day trundling
around and it doesn't beat you up or make you mad.

When I was shopping, this spring, C6's could be had from stock for $500
to $2000 under MSRP from the major players, although the locals here in
Wichita KS were asking for (and apparently getting, judging by their
arrogance) $5k to $10K premiums. Special orders were not being
discounted that much. I eventually got mine built to order for $2500
under MSRP.

I have very few problems with mine. Fit and finish are the best I've
ever seen in an American car. You could fall into the paint job. The
only cars I've owned that are comparable in build quality are a 1967 VW
Beetle and a Lexus LS430.

There have been a couple of first-year issues with the C6, now mostly
resolved. There was a service campaign early on for rear brake lines
getting overheated by the nearby exhaust pipes under the car, fixed by a
slight design change. A few percent of the earliest cars had some
failures around the bolts that secured the vibration damper, also now
redesigned. And there's a software bug in the radio control head that
does not always trim the antenna correctly for FM reception, sometimes
resulting in very poor FM reception until you retrim the antenna by
switching to AM, then back to FM. I understand there's a fix and service
campaign in the works. This is all little stuff.

Driving dynamics are what make the car. The C6 has been to finishing
school and graduated with straight A's, but the car still has a heart of
rock and roll and the way to her heart is through the throttle. The LS2
engine is a BEAST, the power is just boggling. This is the resurrection
of the classic American "Brylcreem throttle" - a little dab'll do ya.

I've heard a lot of criticism of the Tremec 6-speed tranny. Mine was a
little notchy to shift when new but as the car has broken in it's
smoothed out nicely and at 4000 miles the car is a slick shifter once
it's warmed up.

Ride (mine's an F55) is excellent for what the car is. It's completely
livable around town and on city streets, very firm but almost never
harsh. At highway speeds the ride is excellent. The active handling and
roll control work well. Setting the ride selector to 'Sport' has little
effect on the ride at cruise, mostly it causes the suspension to react
to sporty driving and maneuvering much more aggressively. Fling the C6
into a sweeper in Sport mode and you can really feel the suspension change.

Handling is excellent, of course. Immediate response, high limits,
plenty of feedback, intuitive responses, neutral character. The C6 is
the most stable car I've ever driven. Well, there was a '65 Wildcat that
was pretty stable, too.

Sound levels are reasonable. With the top up and at speed it's much
quieter and better sealed than any other convertible I've owned (and
I've driven ragtops since 1965). There's no wind noise around the top up
to about 65 mph, where you begin to get a little wind rumble around the
aft corners of the top. At 80 mph the cockpit sound level is still very
reasonable. There's quite a bit of tire rumble at speed on highly
textured surfaces and concrete, but little on smooth blacktop. The
exhaust makes a low burble at idle, is silent at cruise and around town,
and sounds like a Grand National stocker accelerating out of the pits
when pulling hard. Music!

Seating and control ergonomics are excellent. And I'm 5'5", if the car
fits me it'll fit just about anyone. My only issue is with the length of
the clutch stroke - if I'm the right distance from the pedals and wheel,
it's a stretch to fully depress the clutch. But this is more an issue
with my size than with the car.

I've been astonished by the C6's fuel consumption. Mine delivers 30-31
mpg at a steady 70 mph and clocked 28.3 mpg on a 70-mile run at 75 mph.
A 3-mile level run at 60 mph showed an astonishing 35 mpg. (The car
delivered 24 mpg at 60 mph before breakin, the numbers climbed steadily
as the car settled in.)

Whines? The dash light dimmer knob design makes me wonder what its
designer was thinking. Cockpit stowage space is at a premium. The
console storage compartment gets hot inside (never put a candy bar in
there!). I've had my boot slip on the metal clutch pedal a few times
when damp on rainy days. It's hard to reach the shoulder harness buckle
when the seat has automatically moved back to help entry/exit. I keep
brushing the temperature control reaching for the stereo volume knob and
accidentally changing the cockpit temperature setting.

But this is little stuff.

The real measure of the car is in the drive. You'll know me if you see
mine of the road - I'm the dumpy old engineer with the huge grin.

- Vandervecken
"Happiness is four hunnert horsepower an' a stick shift"

Old July 17th 05, 03:12 PM
Dad

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey everyone,
> I currently own a Nissan 350z and thinking about selling it to get a
> 2005 Vette. I have some questions for y'all vette owners. Has anyone
> here bought a 2005 Vette? Any personal reviews? Any major issues
> already with the 1st year's model?

Just the stupid "got to have it in reverse or I'll kill your battery" trick
they pulled. Then hid reverse in a spongy shift gate. Little thing but still
stupid. Read some of the posts on this group, there is information on what
they are like, mine has 10k on it and has been flawless.

> Pricing: Has anyone been able to get the Vette for under MSRP? I've
> been hearing about how hot this Vette is , so wondering if one could
> buy under MSRP. Wish i had the money to get the Z6 coming in September
> ,i believe. Also, the GM discount doesn't apply to this vehicle. Now,
> does the GM Employee discount have any hidden costs or tricks that we
> don't know about or is it really an honest price. Anything to be weary
> or careful about this GM discount?

Yes, you can deal on the MSRP price and I had mine Oct 8th. Why worry about
the GM discount if you can't get it?

> I've never been fond of American cars since my previous experience back
> in the early 90s have been horrible. This would be my first American
> car since my old Buick Skylark a while back. Any other good sites or
> forums on the new Vette?

If you're not fond of American cars, why get one? By the way, parts of this
car, including sub assemblies are made all over the world in places like
Spain, Germany, and (cough, cough) Mexico. This must be new to you if you
haven't seen the Corvette forums out there, my guess is that there are 4
very good ones and many more poor ones that just copy this news group. The
one I find more to my liking is http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/ good
people.

> Thanks everyone.
> Darren

Although I have heard of problems they have been few and far
between with the C6. The reason for the price hike on the C5 is that most
people still see the C6 as a not so hot change over the C5. Plus they all
think their dick will get longer if they can get one of those Z06s. Other
than the stupid sixth gear debacle the car is a sleeper and will remain that
way as long as all of those nice C5s are available. Its performance is
scary, and it is put to the ground so well you don't realize just how far
you are over your limits. If I told you how fast it is you wouldn't believe
me, and I'd bet my last dollar none of you would take a ride with me to
prove it. One thing I will pass on to you is that in second and third gear
you can lay black marks right up to maximum rpms. I'm not saying smoke the
tires, I'm saying that the power is put to the road so uniform that it will
just run on the edge of breaking loose and lay a nice pair of tire marks in
both gears. In first gear it just destroys the rear tires so you have to
feather it off the line.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old July 17th 05, 04:55 PM

Excellent reviews everyone. I am just so impressed by this car. I will
start my prospective buying soon. Thanks again!

Old July 17th 05, 06:08 PM
Dave in Lake Villa

One magazine i read (cant recall which one)..said the interior of the
new Vette has been somewhat 'cheapened' by comparison to previous C5's ;
the magazine didnt make any specific claims . What is your thoughts on
this from the current owners of a 2005 ? Thanks.

Old July 17th 05, 06:11 PM
Joel Jacobs

<snip>

The C5 is an American car and I will not own a non American
> car.

Well, I've owned 5 Corvettes: '61, bought new, an '89, bought new, a '91,
bought new, a '95, bought new, and a '94, bought used from a friend. I've
also owned three Porsches, two BMWs, and others, all before they were
popular.

I also have about 40K BTW miles in C5s. Great cars all.

But the prejudice against owning something non-American is just silly.
While I've never owned a Lexus I damned well know quality when I see it. And
while I love my Vettes, I am not blinded to the technology and build of
others' cars. Oh, to have the money to own a Ferrari or Lamborghini!

And SUV's - who cannot covet a Gelandewagen?!

Old July 17th 05, 08:17 PM
Dad

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message
> And while I love my Vettes, I am not blinded to the technology and build
> of others' cars. Oh, to have the money to own a Ferrari or Lamborghini!
>
> And SUV's - who cannot covet a Gelandewagen?!

We all have our weak points, and to covet a Gelandewagen only shows that
sometimes weak points get weaker.

--

Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

Old July 17th 05, 08:31 PM
Vandervecken

The C6 interior is significantly upgraded from prior models.

-- Vandervecken