right-on-red stress

Old July 12th 05, 06:40 PM
C. E. White

> wrote in message
> If you are sitting at the light and dont turn on the red, someone is
> going to ram the rear of your car. Just because you dont have a life
> or a schedule. other people do. Someone is a big truck will ram you
> and smash the rear end of your car like an accordian. If you cant
> handle turning on a red, go to your local DOT office and surrender
> your drivers license. You are not capable of driving.

Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight schedules
that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?
Ramming someone at a red light because you are so rude and impatient that
you can't wait a few extra seconds is going to end up delaying you even more
while you wait for the police to come and investigate the accident. Not to
mention the hit to your wallet. Impatience is not an excuse for being a
jerk.

Here is the NC Statute that authorizes "right on red."

"Approaching with traffic signal traffic signal the approaching
a. When a steady or strobe beam stoplight is emitting a red light
controlling traffic passing through an intersection, an approaching vehicle
facing the red light shall come to a stop and shall not enter the
intersection. After coming to a complete stop and unless prohibited by an
appropriate sign, that approaching vehicle may make a right turn.
b. Any vehicle that turns right under this subdivision shall yield
the right-of-way to:
1. Other traffic and pedestrians using the intersection; and
2. Pedestrians who are moving towards the intersection, who are in
reasonably close proximity to the intersection, and who are preparing to
cross in front of the traffic that is required to stop at the red
light....."
Notice the part about "may make a right turn." Also notice that you required
to stop, and look, not slow down and pull out in front of any car or
pedestrian that you can intimidate into not hitting your car.

Ed

Old July 13th 05, 04:00 AM
The Real Bev

"C. E. White" wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > If you are sitting at the light and dont turn on the red, someone is
> > going to ram the rear of your car. Just because you dont have a life
> > or a schedule. other people do. Someone is a big truck will ram you
> > and smash the rear end of your car like an accordian. If you cant
> > handle turning on a red, go to your local DOT office and surrender
> > your drivers license. You are not capable of driving.

> Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight schedules
> that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?

How many people is the sitter holding up? Multiply that by every time he has
to turn right. While I wouldn't ram a jerk who sat there for three minutes of
NO cross traffic waiting for the light to go green, I'd sure honk at him.

As a bicyclist, I see a lot of this. Adding a bicycle to the equation seems
to freak them out even more. I used to turn around and motion them to go
ahead while I was waiting to go straight, but that gets old after a while.

Right on red is legal in most states now. Anybody know where it still isn't?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 13th 05, 05:33 AM
C. E. White

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> "C. E. White" wrote:

>> Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight
>> schedules
>> that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?

> How many people is the sitter holding up? Multiply that by every time he
> has
> to turn right. While I wouldn't ram a jerk who sat there for three
> minutes of
> NO cross traffic waiting for the light to go green, I'd sure honk at him.

Any light that doesn't change in less than 3 minutes with no opposing
traffic needs to be retimed.

I have been honked at while sitting at a light waiting to turn right when
there is a sign clearly stating "No Right On Red." Then there are the people
who honk at you when you are going straight at an intersection where they
want to turn right.

How many of these hypothetical people that the cautious person is holding up
by not aggressively turning right on red can't spare 10 or 15 seconds from
their not so busy day?

I suppose you never had an aggressive driver turn right on red and almost
hit you. Or turn right on red in front of you (failure to yield right of
way) and then drive slowly, holding you up?

> As a bicyclist, I see a lot of this. Adding a bicycle to the equation
> seems
> to freak them out even more. I used to turn around and motion them to go
> ahead while I was waiting to go straight, but that gets old after a while.

Sigh, I can't see you complaining about some little old lady not turning
right on red if you are out there clogging up the roads with your bike. And
don't give me the BS about how you outrun most traffic. Think about how many
people slow down in reaction to your presence when you are on the bike and
multiply that out. In the end you are just another impatient driver who is
unwilling to tolerate even the slightest impediment to your drive, while at
the same time not giving a damn how many people you cut off or slow down.
Just be honest, it is all about you.

> Right on red is legal in most states now. Anybody know where it still
> isn't?

According to
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outr...1995/TT086.htm :

"Since January 1, 1980, all 50 states and the District of Columbia and
Puerto Rico have had laws permitting right-turn-on-red unless a sign
prohibits the turn. As of January 1, 1994, 43 jurisdictions provided for
left-turn-on-red (LTOR) and nine did not. LTOR is permitted only at the
intersection of a one-way street with another one-way street."

At least ROR rules aren't significantly contributing to the death rate.
However, you might be interested in reading this reference since a large
portion of the ROR accidents involve bicycles and pedestrians.

Ed

Old July 13th 05, 02:50 PM
N8N

223rem wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > In fact, more often than not, I see
> > people turning directly into the right lane. Why, I dunno.

> Less cornering effort

Not significantly, if you are doing it right. I actually think it's
that people turn in/apex way too early, because nobody ever showed them
the right way to take a corner. Which is scary in and of itself if you
think about it...

nate

Old July 14th 05, 01:09 AM
The Real Bev

"C. E. White" wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > "C. E. White" wrote:

> >> Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight
> >> schedules
> >> that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?

> > How many people is the sitter holding up? Multiply that by every time he
> > has
> > to turn right. While I wouldn't ram a jerk who sat there for three
> > minutes of
> > NO cross traffic waiting for the light to go green, I'd sure honk at him.

> Any light that doesn't change in less than 3 minutes with no opposing
> traffic needs to be retimed.

Two traffic lanes and a left-turn lane with signal in all four directions.
It's safe to turn right in some modes, but not others. The cycle is 3 minutes
-- possibly more. The sloths who just miss their turn always wait until their
turn comes up three minutes later.

The idiot city street people can't get the timing right no matter what they
do, and trying just ****s it up worse. By design (or lack thereof) NO sensor
will see a bicycle.

> I have been honked at while sitting at a light waiting to turn right when
> there is a sign clearly stating "No Right On Red." Then there are the people
> who honk at you when you are going straight at an intersection where they
> want to turn right.

If they're in the wrong, smile and give them the finger. Or smile and wave,
it's more annoying. The subject here is people who DON'T turn right when it's
clearly their turn. We can generally recognize these people because their
turn signals blink for the entire cycle.

> How many of these hypothetical people that the cautious person is holding up
> by not aggressively turning right on red can't spare 10 or 15 seconds from
> their not so busy day?
>
> I suppose you never had an aggressive driver turn right on red and almost
> hit you. Or turn right on red in front of you (failure to yield right of
> way) and then drive slowly, holding you up?

A REAL aggressive driver knows where he is and where you are and won't hit
you. A stupid driver is clueless and will hit you because he doesn't know any
better. Yes, there's a difference.

> > As a bicyclist, I see a lot of this. Adding a bicycle to the equation
> > seems
> > to freak them out even more. I used to turn around and motion them to go
> > ahead while I was waiting to go straight, but that gets old after a while.

> Sigh, I can't see you complaining about some little old lady not turning
> right on red if you are out there clogging up the roads with your bike. And
> don't give me the BS about how you outrun most traffic.

I don't outrun even the little old ladies turning right. I do, however, do my
best to keep out of the way of cars by riding as far to the right as
practicable.

> Think about how many
> people slow down in reaction to your presence when you are on the bike and
> multiply that out.

If they slow down for me even if I'm not in their way and give no indication
that I'm going to get in their way in the foreseeable future, then it's their
problem and they don't know how to drive. People that stupid are a danger to
themselves and others and a merciful god would direct them over an uninhabited
cliff at the first opportunity.

> In the end you are just another impatient driver who is
> unwilling to tolerate even the slightest impediment to your drive, while at
> the same time not giving a damn how many people you cut off or slow down.
> Just be honest, it is all about you.

Of course it is. So is voting. ALL drivers should do their best to get where
they're going as expeditiously as possible without injuring anyone. If
everyone were smart enough to do that we'd have a lot fewer traffic problems.

> > Right on red is legal in most states now. Anybody know where it still
> > isn't?

> According to
> http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outr...1995/TT086.htm :
>
> "Since January 1, 1980, all 50 states and the District of Columbia and
> Puerto Rico have had laws permitting right-turn-on-red unless a sign
> prohibits the turn. As of January 1, 1994, 43 jurisdictions provided for
> left-turn-on-red (LTOR) and nine did not. LTOR is permitted only at the
> intersection of a one-way street with another one-way street."
>
> At least ROR rules aren't significantly contributing to the death rate.
> However, you might be interested in reading this reference since a large
> portion of the ROR accidents involve bicycles and pedestrians.

They probably involve cars, too.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 14th 05, 09:28 PM
Bernard Farquart

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 223rem wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>> > In fact, more often than not, I see
>> > people turning directly into the right lane. Why, I dunno.

>> Less cornering effort

> Not significantly, if you are doing it right. I actually think it's
> that people turn in/apex way too early, because nobody ever showed them
> the right way to take a corner. Which is scary in and of itself if you
> think about it...

I was taught while sitting on my step-dad's lap "steering" at the age
of eleven on family vacations. He would tell me I was only allowed to
turn in more until the apex, then only allowed to turn back out.
(no back and forth corrections) It actually made alot of sense to
me then, and now. Kinda scary to think of me steering a '74
Buick Century Regal at highway speeds on two lane roads,
but that was my introdution to driving.

Bernard

'99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads? officehelp1981 Chrysler 36 July 5th 05 11:13 AM
auto lockers [email protected] Jeep 50 May 2nd 05 10:47 PM
Lateral stress on sway bar mounts Carl Saiyed Jeep 5 April 20th 05 12:44 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 10:58 AM
Minimum Lift Question Fred Garvin Jeep 23 December 26th 04 06:46 PM