UrS6

Old June 30th 05, 06:10 AM

Default UrS6

After a brief affair with an S4 (and a buyer with much more money than
brains, AND a "won't take no for an answer" attitude) I have an idea
that I can get an UrS6, and with the leftover dough, chip it, add
exhaust, and still have tons left over for maint./repairs for the next
10 years.

It's just a regular 2.2 I5 with a turbo, right? Made for one year (MY
1995) and about like the A6 of the time in size and weight? 220HP,
5sp, anything else?

It seems like it might be a very good car - undervalued for it's
performance, mature tech (I5 2.2T being around for quite some time
before '95) and otherwise a decent piece of equipment for those who
understand the maintenance issues for an Audi.

Anyone got any pointers toward more info? I've been to s-cars.org, and
audiworld - anywhere else?

Thanks,

E.P.

Old June 30th 05, 03:19 PM
Dano58

Go to http://www.audifans.com/mailman.php and sign up for the quattro
and S-Car lists. I am on the former; a LOT of knowledge and experience
with the 'older' Audis.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old June 30th 05, 11:51 PM

Dano58 wrote:
> Go to http://www.audifans.com/mailman.php and sign up for the quattro
> and S-Car lists. I am on the former; a LOT of knowledge and experience
> with the 'older' Audis.

Thanks, Dan.

I'll see what they have to say. From the e-mails I got, it seems like
if you treat the car well (cool-down before engine shut-down, good oil
and gas), the car is pretty much like any of the cars of that era.

E.P.

Old July 2nd 05, 02:27 AM
Tony Curran

The S6 also sold in Canada thru 1997 - US required OBD which the S4 and S6
don't have - 97s have it.

I'm an urS6 owner for the past 3 years and $10000 Canadian lighter in the
wallet. Upgraded suspension, chip, exhaust, Pirelli tires plus regular
running repairs. Not bad to work on yourself if your that way incline or
find a VERY good Audi repair shop, not a dealer.

Join the S-Car list. Very informative and friendly bunch. There are probably
some in your city to share info with. I've saved $1000s by
watching/enchanging info on list.

Good luck,

Tony
96 S6

oups.com...

Old July 2nd 05, 06:46 AM

Tony Curran wrote:
> The S6 also sold in Canada thru 1997 - US required OBD which the S4 and S6
> don't have - 97s have it.
>
> I'm an urS6 owner for the past 3 years and $10000 Canadian lighter in the
> wallet. Upgraded suspension, chip, exhaust, Pirelli tires plus regular
> running repairs. Not bad to work on yourself if your that way incline or
> find a VERY good Audi repair shop, not a dealer.
>
> Join the S-Car list. Very informative and friendly bunch. There are probably
> some in your city to share info with. I've saved $1000s by
> watching/enchanging info on list.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tony. '92 S4, 148k miles, body is
flawless, interior looks new, no chip (yet) and a rebuilt tranny due to
first gear issues.

I think I'd probably go with the TAP stage 2 chip to start with.

When you're not on-boost, how does it drive? What kind of mileage do
you get if you drive it conservatively?

(If you want to speak metric, I can do the conversions myself.)

E.P.

Old July 4th 05, 01:59 AM
Tony Curran

I have a Mihnea Cotet chip bought from his US outlet. Very good. Go to
http://www.mrc-developments.com/en/exemples_en.php and here
http://chips-ur-s.com/Entrance.html for US outlet. There has been some
discussion about TAP chips and you may want to read the archives before
making a purchase. This Mihnea Cotet guy only chips VAG cars and has been
over to US to chip-on-the-fly by plugging emulators in to the ECU. Others
have been most impressed - these are most likely the folks that have the
full RS2 mod package.

The 1st gear problem is a known issue - S6s got a different design. There
are some owners putting in 6-speed gear boxes.

I'm looking to add a short shifter from Europrice
http://www.euro-audi-parts.com/ and brake upgrade using one of BIRA's
systems http://www.bira.org/

As for mileage, I'm getting about 22-25mpgs depending on who's wanting to
test me
As for boost, I've peaked at 26 PSI briefly, but I've been told the chips
are programmed for 23 PSI max. I've done a mod to re-route cold air intake,
also enlarged intake hose to 4" - helps with pickup and may be effecting top
end. Also engine is running cooler as stock intake snorkel is not in the way
of air to blow over turbo.

Good luck,

Tony
96 S6

ups.com...

Old July 5th 05, 06:42 PM

Tony Curran wrote:
> I have a Mihnea Cotet chip bought from his US outlet. Very good. Go to
> http://www.mrc-developments.com/en/exemples_en.php and here
> http://chips-ur-s.com/Entrance.html for US outlet. There has been some
> discussion about TAP chips and you may want to read the archives before
> making a purchase. This Mihnea Cotet guy only chips VAG cars and has been
> over to US to chip-on-the-fly by plugging emulators in to the ECU. Others
> have been most impressed - these are most likely the folks that have the
> full RS2 mod package.
>
> The 1st gear problem is a known issue - S6s got a different design. There
> are some owners putting in 6-speed gear boxes.
>
> I'm looking to add a short shifter from Europrice
> http://www.euro-audi-parts.com/ and brake upgrade using one of BIRA's
> systems http://www.bira.org/
>
> As for mileage, I'm getting about 22-25mpgs depending on who's wanting to
> test me
> As for boost, I've peaked at 26 PSI briefly, but I've been told the chips
> are programmed for 23 PSI max. I've done a mod to re-route cold air intake,
> also enlarged intake hose to 4" - helps with pickup and may be effecting top
> end. Also engine is running cooler as stock intake snorkel is not in the way
> of air to blow over turbo.

I notice that you're on the same mail list as I am - have you described
your intake mods over there? I think that those mods should actually
be the first that I do - they sound relatively inexpensive, and would
help even the un-modded engine.

Step-by-step instructions with pictures are great, but beggars cannot
be choosers, eh?

E.P.