recent talk of distributors

Old June 11th 05, 06:00 PM
Joey Tribiani

Default recent talk of distributors

recently there have been a couple threads about distributors..(as well as
over the years)...i have used the 009 distributors for years(german usually)
and they were okay....have used the factory SVDA's also...they were
better....yesterday i got around to installing the Mallory Unilite(bought it
back in early feb) with vacuum advance in the bug(1641, ported factory
heads, mild cam, dual kads) and it is great...haven't gotten it completeley
dialed in yet so it is a bit retarded at idle....i installed the grey/grey
springs that are reccomended by our own John C and Jake R. the advance curve
is great and linear and out of the box the thing is set for about 24 degrees
advance.... i will adjust the limiters to obtain the 16 degrees i have read
work best(12 advance at idle and 28 total)...the vacuum advance bumps it to
around 40BTDC at partial throttle during cruising....the test drive last
night(around 60 miles) tells me the car runs much better(even not completely
dialed in, which is a non issue since i was at highway speed) and is more
"smooth"....and trust me with SOLID mounts you can notice a "smoother"
engine....guess the extra advance while cruising helps...the power is
instant when you step on the go pedal and very nice...i'm pleased...now i
need to get those carbs dialed in better....still running a bit rich...maybe
install the hyfire ignition box i also bought along with the distributor.

Old June 12th 05, 04:20 AM

Interesting. I would have thought a vacuum advance distributor wouldn't
have been a good idea. I figured the 009 was the way to go.
How much does the Mallory run?
I've seen the MSD and it's nice and all but just a little bit pricey. I
guess it's probably a great distributor, though.
Dan

Old June 12th 05, 04:26 AM
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting. I would have thought a vacuum advance distributor wouldn't
> have been a good idea. I figured the 009 was the way to go.
> How much does the Mallory run?
> I've seen the MSD and it's nice and all but just a little bit pricey. I
> guess it's probably a great distributor, though.
> Dan

Dan, the Mallory distributor(w/ vacuum advance) actually runs a bit more
than the MSD....*however* the MSD is not available with vacuum advance( a
good thing), has to be used with the 6 or 7 series ignition box(mallory is
compatible with everything from stock points to even the msd's box,
including of course Mallory's own cdi boxes), and the MSD has to use
differnt type sparkplug ends(HEI)....so overall i feel the Mallory is better
than the MSD, and i have run the MSD distributor and 6a box in the
past....left me sitting once....with the Mallory you could bypass an
ignition box that has suddenly flunked out....not so with the MSD....

Old June 13th 05, 03:33 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:00:25 -0400 "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>recently there have been a couple threads about distributors..(as well as
>over the years)...i have used the 009 distributors for years(german usually)
>and they were okay....have used the factory SVDA's also...they were
>better....yesterday i got around to installing the Mallory Unilite(bought it
>back in early feb) with vacuum advance in the bug(1641, ported factory
>heads, mild cam, dual kads) and it is great...haven't gotten it completeley
>dialed in yet so it is a bit retarded at idle.

Where do you get your vac from? Do the kads supply the appropriate
kind of port for this dist?

Most carbs, if they have a vac port at all, provide a vac that
increases with increasing load, which would be appropriate for a vac
only dist, but you are asking for, very appropriately, a vac port that
only comes on at low throttle, while crusing. Some of the OE Solex
carbs do this but I didn't think that this was normal with any of the
aftermarket carbs.

I'm not that familiar with carbs, so I'm hoping to learn something
here.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old June 13th 05, 04:20 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message

> Where do you get your vac from? Do the kads supply the appropriate
> kind of port for this dist?

they do not have the vacuum port "out of the box"...the vacuum port is
added...these are fully prepped A.J. Simms(lowbugget.com), but the ported
throttle body is from John C. at aircooled.net (
http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200542275779
)

> Most carbs, if they have a vac port at all, provide a vac that
> increases with increasing load, which would be appropriate for a vac
> only dist, but you are asking for, very appropriately, a vac port that
> only comes on at low throttle, while crusing. Some of the OE Solex
> carbs do this but I didn't think that this was normal with any of the
> aftermarket carbs.

the vacuum "signal" is correct and can be verified with a strobe type timing
light....the vacuum advance on the Mallory is going "full advance" at justa
crack of the throttle and drops sharply to nothing once you open it
up...once the rpm's "level out" and you have taken pressure off the
"throttle" the vacuum advance creeps back up(part throttle setting)....the
throttle response is much better than with the old distributor(009 with
pertronix) and i expected it to be...no disappointed at all...check out the
above link to ac.net for more details....

Old June 13th 05, 06:42 PM

Thanks. More to read...
:-)
Plus, that lowbugget.com is a nice site.
Anybody using their heads. Good prices on ported and setup heads.
Great prices on carbs and manifolds already setup, too!.
Dan

Old June 13th 05, 11:17 PM
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks. More to read...
> :-)
> Plus, that lowbugget.com is a nice site.
> Anybody using their heads. Good prices on ported and setup heads.
> Great prices on carbs and manifolds already setup, too!.
> Dan

never really heard any "bad" on A.J.....sometimes it seems his waiting list
is quite long, and orders can be delayed, but no firsthand experience on
*that*....another top notch head porter is Daren at "DRD" who i believe
supplies heads to Aircooled.net(or , at least, used to)......a friend has
some DRD heads on his 1776 and it is a screamer....money well spent(bought
through Aircooled.net)

Old June 14th 05, 12:13 AM
Tim Rogers

> never really heard any "bad" on A.J.....sometimes it seems his waiting

list
> is quite long, and orders can be delayed, but no firsthand experience on
> *that*....another top notch head porter is Daren at "DRD" who i believe
> supplies heads to Aircooled.net(or , at least, used to)......a friend has
> some DRD heads on his 1776 and it is a screamer....money well spent(bought
> through Aircooled.net)

...................That's good to hear. I have a pair of DRD level 3 heads
from Aircooled.Net that I haven't yet installed on my 1679. I'm planning to
also go with a 118 grind Web Cam and see how it works with the stock
Jetronic EFI and EFI style exhaust.

Old June 14th 05, 11:55 PM
Shag

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:00:29 -0400, "Sneaks" >
wrote:

>I'm a little retarded at idle too....
>
>Sneaks
>68 Type I

I'm a little retarded throughout the range. :-)

Old June 15th 05, 12:00 AM
Sneaks