BMW 'Goodwill'

Old May 25th 05, 06:44 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Extended-warranty prices in the UK have been affected by external factors
(recent change in regulatory environment).

DAS
---

[...]

Old May 25th 05, 07:41 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Paul Aspinall > wrote:
> However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went
> wrong with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under
> warranty. What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'?? I believe
> that an engine / gearbox on a £78000 car should last at least 200,000
> miles.....

Many cars will do this sort of mileage on the original power train if well
maintained and driven sympathetically. But then many drivers don't give a
toss about their cars and cane them from cold. Because they change them
long before this mileage. As do most who buy a *new* 78,000 quid car. And
in the UK such a car will invariably not belong directly to the first
driver - it will be company owned or leased.

I'd guess you haven't bought the car from new, but expect BMW to be
generous with a warranty even although you don't know how the car was
treated in its earlier life.

> Has anyone ever had any experience of BMW contributing when the car is
> out of warranty?

They're more likely to on a one owner car with full main dealer service
history.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 26th 05, 12:51 AM
SharkmanBMW

you tell him Fred... he wreaks of snobbery, but he is a wannabe snob, he
thinks like a guy who buys a 745li new but bought it used because he's
cheap... hence the free warranty bull****.
You knew the warranty when you bought the car, too late to complain now!
And Marcio made some good points, the more you pay, the less warranty you
get, you have the $$ to pay the repair so you should not care, if you don't
have the cash, then don't drive the car.
Maybe a Hyundai would suit your warranty needs better!

Old May 26th 05, 04:36 PM
Paul Aspinall

Yawn......
Is that your best?

Old May 26th 05, 05:42 PM
Somebody

"Marcio Watanabe" > wrote in message
news
> "Paul Aspinall" > wrote:
>
> >Because I paid £78000 for a car, and I believe it should have a better
> >warranty than 3 years.

> Reality doesn't agree with what you believe. A Bentley Arnage and a
> Rolls-Royce Phantom cost 2-3 times as much as a 745Li, and they have a
> 3-year warranty. A Ferrari 612 and a Lamborghini Murcielago also
> costs 2-3 times as much and have only a 2-year warranty. A Hyundai
> costs a fraction of what a 745Li costs, and the warranty of a Hyundai
> is 5 years. So, if you want to assume anything (and I don't think you
> can), one can assume that cars that cost more have shorter warranties,
> not the other way around.
>
> And if you think about it, it makes some sense. First, the more a car
> costs, the less price sensitive the buyer is. The less sensitive the
> buyer is, the less likely the person is to be driving an old car, so
> longer warranties make less sense on a $100K car than on a $20K one.
> Second, warranty is a marketing tool more than anything else. Less
> expensive brands lengthen their warranties compared to the competition
> to try to get more buyers, and prominently display their warranties on
> commercials. Buyers of more expensive cars care much less about that.
> A buyer of a $100K car should have no problem paying for a
> non-warranty repair, and the repair would be more an annoyance than a
> financial setback. A buyer of a $20K car, on the other hand, could be
> financially strained if having to pay for a major repair.

Well stated, Marcio.

Over here, Hyundai is offering 10 year warranties now. Does that mean their
engineering is that much superior to what it was 3 years ago? Of course
not. It's a marketing tool, that is more important in the lower end, as you
point out.

-Russ.

Old May 26th 05, 06:31 PM
Neil

"Somebody" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Over here, Hyundai is offering 10 year warranties now. Does that mean

their
> engineering is that much superior to what it was 3 years ago? Of course
> not. It's a marketing tool, that is more important in the lower end, as

you
> point out.
>
> -Russ.

If customer satisfaction can be used as part-measurement of improved
engineering, then we can say that Hyundai has improved in this area. I say
part-measurement because clearly there are other factors to consider when
measuring 'engineering superiority', which I believe you use to mean
longevity, as opposed to power-to-weight ratios, front/rear balance,
tolerances between body panels, or even MPG, for example. While it's true
that a warranty is in-part a marketing tool, I think it's safe to assume
they [Hyundai] are also now more confident in the longevity of their
product, than they were during the days of the Excel. If not, then what a
gamble to play with the risk of having to honour warranties when they fail
before the 10/100 limit is reached.

It's amusing to me that Hyundai has taken the place more recently of Skoda
as the poster boy for poor quality. Does anyone even make Skoda jokes any
more? ;-)

Old May 26th 05, 07:31 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <6JSke.935$Ri3.426@trnddc09>,
marlin > wrote:
> > The car is automatic, so its impossible to over-rev it.

> Um no, an automatic can be overreved, all it would take is a faulty rev
> limiter.

No, the rev limiter acts on the engine. The auto box changes up before you
hit it. And won't allow a downshift near it.

So you'd need two failures in practise.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Old May 26th 05, 07:36 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Somebody > wrote:
> Over here, Hyundai is offering 10 year warranties now. Does that mean
> their engineering is that much superior to what it was 3 years ago? Of
> course not. It's a marketing tool, that is more important in the lower
> end, as you point out.

Is the warranty transferrable? And has the car got to be serviced by
dealers?

The likelihood of many buying a new Hyundai and keeping it for 10 years is
small, as is it being dealer serviced. So it's good publicity for a rare
occurrence in practice.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Old May 26th 05, 08:20 PM
Malt_Hound

Neil wrote:

> If customer satisfaction can be used as part-measurement of improved
> engineering, then we can say that Hyundai has improved in this area. I say
> part-measurement because clearly there are other factors to consider when
> measuring 'engineering superiority', which I believe you use to mean
> longevity, as opposed to power-to-weight ratios, front/rear balance,
> tolerances between body panels, or even MPG, for example. While it's true
> that a warranty is in-part a marketing tool, I think it's safe to assume
> they [Hyundai] are also now more confident in the longevity of their
> product, than they were during the days of the Excel. If not, then what a
> gamble to play with the risk of having to honour warranties when they fail
> before the 10/100 limit is reached.
>
> It's amusing to me that Hyundai has taken the place more recently of Skoda
> as the poster boy for poor quality. Does anyone even make Skoda jokes any
> more? ;-)

Certainly not on this side of the Atlantic (left). We don't even know
what a Skoda looks like...

Over here, Hyundai is getting a better rep now, while Kia and Scion seem
to have taken over the lowest spots.

-Fred W
Old May 27th 05, 12:22 AM
Somebody

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Somebody > wrote:
> > Over here, Hyundai is offering 10 year warranties now. Does that mean
> > their engineering is that much superior to what it was 3 years ago? Of
> > course not. It's a marketing tool, that is more important in the lower
> > end, as you point out.

> Is the warranty transferrable? And has the car got to be serviced by
> dealers?
>
> The likelihood of many buying a new Hyundai and keeping it for 10 years is
> small, as is it being dealer serviced. So it's good publicity for a rare
> occurrence in practice.

A new car does not *ever* need to to be serviced by the dealer except for
warranty work, but, you must have proof of service by another mechanic
according to the maintenance schedule. The requirement for all service to
be at the dealer is an urban myth designed to generate revenue for dealers.

Home changing your oil will invalidate your warranty though.

-Russ.