Running Lockers in 4HI (rubicon)

Old July 10th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
s m

Default Running Lockers in 4HI (rubicon)

I have heard of guys rewiring their rubicons to allow them to use the
lockers in 4HI. I see that you can also buy kits on EBAY that will
allow you to do the same thing. What are he PRO's and CON's of making
this change? Would I be taking the chance of breaking something simply
because the vehicle is not designed to run in this configuration? This
question has probably been asked a 1000 times on this list but if
somebody could give me a link to the information I would really
appreciate it.

scott
Old July 11th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jerry Bransford

My opinion is that if the trail conditions are tough enough that you
need lockers, you can't drive fast enough to be in 4Hi.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 11th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

One "CON" might be an increased likelihood of flipping the vehicle over at
speed. That pretty much wipes out any "PRO"s I can think of.

Earle

Old July 11th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I agree with Jerry. If you need lockers, you need to be in 4lo. I would not
want a front locker engaged at any speed not allowed in 4lo.

Carl

Old July 11th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

An exception might be muddy logging roads in the bog areas. Lo range and
you work the gear lever so much that you lose momentum.

Old July 11th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Aaron[_1_]

s m wrote:
> I have heard of guys rewiring their rubicons to allow them to use the
> lockers in 4HI. I see that you can also buy kits on EBAY that will
> allow you to do the same thing. What are he PRO's and CON's of making
> this change? Would I be taking the chance of breaking something simply
> because the vehicle is not designed to run in this configuration? This
> question has probably been asked a 1000 times on this list but if
> somebody could give me a link to the information I would really
> appreciate it.
>

> scott

Well first off Scott, I want to start by saying that if you know what
you're doing when it comes to wheelin' and/or you live in a climate
like I do in Watertown, NY (avg. snowfall for Dec alone = 26in.) then
you don't want some factory imposed restriction that keeps their
lawsuits down in your Jeep. If you need that extra wheel spin to sling
mud out of your "Mud Terrains" than go ahead and make the
adjustment you need. The only thing is, you'd be a fool to have them
locked up between obstacles; that's when you'll get yourself in
trouble. You'd also be a fool to pay for a kit to bypass this factory
(lawyer) imposed limitation.
There's two ways you can do it. One is safe and costs about $10 and
the other is not so safe and I won't even get into it. Here's how
ya do it:
1. Buy yourself a good quality switch. I'd recommend an aircraft
style toggle switch.
You'll be using this switch to "ARM" your lockers. You can write
ARM above the switch if you want to look cool.
2. Get to the back of your locker controls switch panel below your air
conditioner controls. If you need me to explain how to get there just
post a message you want me to and I will, short on time right now.
3. Look at the wiring harness going into the Axle Lock switch and find
the red wire with the white stripe and the black wire.
4. Tap the switch you bought into these two wires and mount the new
switch in the open space to the right of your Axle Lock switch.
5. Put it all back together and you're done. You'll now be able to
switch into locked at 4H, as long as you're under 10 mph. The red
w/white wire allows the system to be locked when it's grounded. In
the factory setting this wire becomes grounded when you shift into 4L,
but now it will also be grounded when you hit your "ARM" switch.
Happy Wheelin'
-Aaron

Old July 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Similarly crossing wider stretches of dry sand where losing momentum can
mean a long day towing out.

RoyJ proclaimed:

Old July 13th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Come on Earle!

We've been running lockers in 4HI for decades. I have lockers in my CJ that
always operate in 4HI.

m...

Old July 13th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Serious!

Jerry slipped a cog, lots of guys run lockers in 4HI. I find that my lockers
keep me from needing 4LO because I can get through stuff in 1st that would
need 3rd in LO Range.

Old July 13th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

I'm going to sit over here and shut the **** up.

I've been running front and rear lockers in my Jeep for EVER. I've never had
a problem that can be pointed to the lockers, well besides sliding sideways
on the banks of my local creek bed where I probably ought not have been
anyway.

The only hazard I would guard against is the possibility of drivetrain
damage that results from having too much traction and no wheel-slip.

ups.com...